The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Shootin Sticks (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shootin Sticks
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 05:15 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure this has been covered at some point in time, but hopefully yall can steer me in the right direction. I want to buy some shooting sticks. Is there any particular brand or type to stay away from? Any particular type to absolutely get? Any ideas?

I have used a bipod the last few years and they seem to limit you quite a bit. I would appreicate any help.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 05:57 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a tough one Andy. Everybody seems to like something different. I use the Snipepod. From my view the SP is kind of a cross between sticks and a pod. If buying a set of sticks though, I think I'd go with the Verne Howey sticks. All Predator Calls ***** them for around $40.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 06:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the ones by Stoney Point that 'scope down. I belive that they also have an add-on that turns it into a tri-pod availble.

The truth is though, my homemade yucca stalk sticks work just as well and cost nothing.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Knows what it's all about
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:11 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a set of the bungee cord type ones that snap together like a tent pole. they are great it it isn't close to or below freezing. the aluminum tips freeze into the ground and then it is a pain to get them out.
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:41 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Vern Howeys and like them. I used snipe pods before that, and I like them, but they aren't durable enough for beating snakes or dogs if the need arises. I think you have an airedale Andy? If so you'll need the ones made by Merv Griswold for E.L.K.. They are steel rods, and are the only ones for airedales. Fiberglass just wont hold up on an airedales hard head. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
BigBen; Take your sticks to an archery shop and ask to see some slip on rubber blunts. Should solve that freezing in problem.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 08:53 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I seem to remember you saying a while back that you "wore" out a snipe pod. My thought at the time was, "how in the heck did he wear a set out?" After all, I have had my SP for at least ten years and they aren't close to being wore out. Now that you mentioned that you used them for snake control and a dog discipline tool it makes sense. [Big Grin] It shows that a good set of sticks can be used as a multi-tool that no one should be without.

[ July 27, 2006, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 09:31 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one of the fiberglass collapsable monopods that is great for shooting a rifle off of. For me personally, it is worthless for a pistol, I do better off-hand. (?????)
The monopod is great because it is long enough to be used as a walking stick, a great asset on rough terrain when you have a gimpy knee.

I had to laugh when I read Cal's post. I can imagine that an airdale would be beyond its' capabilities. Its' functionality on beagles is just barely acceptable....
On the other hand, I have found it to be quite adequate for loading cows and calves.

I think I need to get a set of crossed sticks for setting down on a coyote stand.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 09:52 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I use to have the problem with my sticks freezing. I work in a machine shop and I made new ones that does not sink in to the ground no more. this helps out with the freezin problem.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 27, 2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! How can you hunt where it freezes?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31447 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 10:18 AM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the predator snyper styx. They work great.

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 14 posted July 27, 2006 10:39 AM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

[ July 29, 2006, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Rob ]

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 10:58 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I made myself a set like you find from ELK Inc and they work great. Recently acquired a set of the new style Predator Sniper Styx from Brent Rueb here in Kansas and they work really great. They work as both a bipod, and have a shorter third leg that can be deployed for a tripod in that occasionaly looooooong shot situation where you need the extra stability.

Brent makes them with a shoulder strap to make them easier to carry, even though they're so light, it's no bother keeping them in one hand.

One thing is for sure, once you learn how to use them, you never leave the truck without them. At first, I would frequently have to make a short hike back because I'd forget them. Nowadays, I'd sooner leave my boots then go in without my sticks. If for no other reason than they're handy to lean my feeling-older-every-day ass on when I need a breather trying to keep up with my gunner. I really gotta teach that boy the merits of walking dwon that hill and screwin' all those cows. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
I use shooting sticks and, like Cdog, now that I am so used to them, I can't bear to leave the truck without them. I own both predator snyper stix and stoney point. The PS stix are really nice and work great, but the stoney points are my favorite. I really like the ability to extend and retract the legs. Setting them up on each stand to match the terain takes just a few seconds and makes me more comfortable compared to the fixed-length type. I also like to sometimes make a stand on my feet when I feel that to be advantageous for the setup. My stoney points will accomodate that type of stand as well, as they can be extended to as tall as me. I've also used them extended this way to help steady me with my binoculars when spotting a hillside for deer, etc. I do like the idea of the pivoting cradle on the Howey. Someone should come up with the best of both worlds. (if they don't already exist?) Pivoting rifle cradle, AND extendable legs. Good luck on your search. Just like with most everything else, we each prefer something different depending.
Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 01:00 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, the part that wears out on the Snipe Pod for me is the little set screw that adjusts the tension on the ball joints. It is so tiny that I either strip it out or apparently the end that touches the ball wears off fast and eventually I can't get any tension. But they really are too light for dog tuning and snake control. The ones of E.L.K.s are just too dang heavy. The predator sticks from Kansas are Ok, but I like Howeys idea the best because if you turn following a coyote you aren't putting pressure on the side of your forend.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 01:26 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yikes! How can you hunt where it freezes?
Its great! You should come out sometime.
 -

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 02:10 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't figured out how you guys would wanna hunt with sweat runnin down ever where. man october can't get here fast enough.
dog243
PAKMAN
Member # 911

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 03:47 PM      Profile for dog243   Email dog243         Edit/Delete Post 
Got the Snipe Pods and they are great.
Yes come on October.

Posts: 3 | From: Rightside USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 04:55 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replys. Where do I find these Vern Howie sticks? I looked on APC and they only listed one kind and that werent them.

--------------------
Andy

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I just checked APC to make sure. He has the Verne Howey sticks listed. I did a search on APC for "Verne Howey Sticks" and they came up. Even said right on the description of the sticks that they were "hard to find". [Smile] Call AP Jones,(the head guy at APC)he will find them for you.

Cal, I know exactly what you mean about those tiny fricken set screws...

PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:40 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to shooting sticks. Verne Howey shooting sticks is at the bottom of the page, $39.95.
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 05:42 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
oops forgot the link, here ya go.
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=apc&product_name=Shooting+Sticks

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 06:09 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
i use shooting sticks from E.L.K. products. two steel rods with a fuel line hose and a couple nuts for the pivot. I've tried most of the others and this is the one that works good for me.  -

[ July 28, 2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 06:12 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
2nd pic.  -

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 06:15 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, when I went to APC, I just got the top one. The link worked, thanks. The page didnt load for some reason before? Thanks again....

--------------------
Andy

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters