The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Stand Length (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Stand Length
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Just an informal poll, what is your normal time on a stand barring any unusual circumstances,and does the length of time vary according to whether you use distress sounds or coyote vocalizations?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I like twelve minute stands, daylight.

Night stands, more like seven minutes.

All subject to change according to circumstances.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 11:10 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my stands don't last more than 15 minutes,if i'm using distress sounds alone or mixed with limited howling.But if i'm using howling alone i'll stay on a stand 30+ minutes.Sometimes they come in with alittle more caution when using just coyote vocalizations IMO.Good Hunting Chad

[ July 27, 2006, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 11:19 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't howl enough to have any meaningful input on the influence of that.

I stay on stand as long as I can stand to sit still, I'd love to say that is 30 minutes but is truthfully more like 20. That length is largely determined by calling specific chunks of cover and having to drive significant distances to the next spot. The number of those spots are limited, too. Private property.
I think the 3 minute point is the most likely point in time to see something. I'm very focused in that 3-5 minute time frame.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Around 20 minutes. Later in the winter when I'm howling more I'll add 5 extra minutes on certain stands.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Rarely more than fifteen. To be honest, I usually spend more time walking in and out than the time spent on a stand. Occasionaly if I know I don't have time to make another stand, I'll stretch one out and maybe do a little howling with 20 or so minutes of silence.

When I first started calling, my mentor would pull the truck over and point to some distance hump, a half a mile or so away, and say "thats the setup. I would usually look at him and say "jeez, that hunp is two bad assed cuts away maybe we can just jump the fence and call from here?" I learned not to question him.

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
15 minutes is probably average, but it depends on the wind and terrain. If the wind is screaming and I know they have to be close to hear me, I shorten the stand and make more of them in the same amount of country.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't see one within 15 minutes I am up. We don't have many places that are wide open. mostly small fields edged with canals and fench rows.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 12:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been advised on the probable origin of this question.....lol

A blanket statement just doesn't answer all the possibilities. Time of day, weather conditions, whether they are running real good, type of cover. All these things, and gut feelings will enter into what I do. Also, being just plain tired, I will set a stand for a ridiculously long time.

Here's the thing on quick stands versus long stands. As was mentioned above, most days (not all, but most days) your coyote will be in front of you within five minutes. If you want to wait around for that "six mile coyote" good luck to you. I'd probably fall asleep due to sheer boredom.

Remember, for we contest hunters, it's a numbers game. Who in the hell has the attitude; "I want to kill less coyotes" ????

Good hunting. LB

edited for spelling, please excuse.

[ July 27, 2006, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
On average 45min. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.
Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 01:05 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Behind the scenes intrigue... I ought to drop out.

For clarity's sake - as clear as you can be when painting with a very wide brush - extending to 20 or 30 minutes is truely an effort to get as many responses as possible, not limit your chances for success. Due to access and distance you may find yourself limited to 3-5 stands in the prime couple of hours of early or late daylight periods. You can make 3-5 stands, whether 10 minutes or 20 minutes.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 02:14 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I am like yote hunter 45 min + yeah I have had fox come in at that time. also I am not squealin all the time either. mayhe I am doin somethin wron [Confused] g
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 02:47 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I spend about 15 minutes on each stand, but to be honest I rarely look at my watch to time things like that. There are lots of guys here in western Iowa who have very limited access to hunting area. I have noticed that coyotes are still travelling from one place to another from early morning until 9:a.m.-10:a.m. I can't be sure,but I think that these coyotes have been out on the open river bottom for their nightly hunts, and are on their way back to their favorite daytime cover in the hills. Sound does not carry well over the hills and through the trees. A caller could easily be out of range of some of these travelling coyotes when he first starts calling. In this type of situation, a caller may well pick up a coyote or two that travels within ear range of the call by waiting 30 minutes or more. Just a little food for thought.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I call a stand until both legs and my butt are sound asleep. When they're numb to the point of hurting and I determine that I couldn't walk, let alone run, down a coyote I clipped a little bit off plumb if I had to, I give it up.

Now, having said that, the falling asleep only takes about fifteen minutes on a "good" day. The next ten minutes are spent with me lying on one side and then the other, stretching and kicking my legs to wake them up and enjoying the pins and needles. Occasionally, I lie on my back to get 'em going. I used to stand up and stretch them while walking all about, but one day I stood up, took one step, and went right down flat on my back when my leg wouldn't do what I asked of it. Still spend the first fifty yards or so walking out after "waking" things up walking like a rooster. [Smile]

In all seriousness, early in the year, with all distress, maybe fifteen minutes, tops. Adding in howls tends to compel me to add another 5-10 to it. Late in the season, I stretch it out to 30-40 because they're fewer and farther between, smarter, and less stupid. Like Joe, my country is sectioned and I'm focusing on a possible target within a specific pocket of cover rather than having wolfy cover all around me. And like Greenside, the trek in and out is a bigger chunk of the time than the actual setup. Sometimes, I feel kinda guilty about walking so far in, then only calling for a few minutes. Almost seems like a waste of time some days.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 03:51 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No blanket statement for me, but I hope to have one figured out in the next 25-30 years so stay tuned. I try to keep calling as simple as possible, though I allow the coyotes to complicate it for me. I do whatever the coyotes like- and it takes modifying the sounds/setups/stand length each week.

Last year I kept some notes to keep track of all the variables. October coyotes seemed to respond within 12 minutes, November changed dramatically to 25 minutes+ to stay successful. December held quite a few long stands as well, Janaury and February were back to normal 12-18 minute kills. I'm not sure it's a coincidence our deer seasons slowed down the entry of coyotes in my area.

It seems each year I kill a handful of coyotes that took over an hour to call in and a few more that appeared less than 60 second into the stand. I rarely hunt places where I can walk to the next stand so I milk em' for all I can.

To me, the better quesiton would be "How long do you stay on stand after you kill the first one?" Taking a dozen doubles last year I think I'm finally getting a pretty good handle on when it's time to stick a fork in a stand in my area- when do you guys call it quits?

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 04:39 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't wear a watch, have very seldom "timed" myself on a stand, BUT I think I have a good idea of what about 15 minutes feels like, so that's about what I usually stay put for. How ever, as the season gets toward the end, and I use more coyote vocals, I tend to try to stay longer on stand!
Out here where I can see a long ways in the distance, I have on occasion stood up only to see one coming, so I plop back down, and finish the stand, properly. When I'm by myself, I tend to stay longer in general, cause I have several guys that I hunt with that expect action with-in 5 to 7 minutes all the time, sometimes my sets get a little on the short side!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 04:53 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll stay for longer that 15 minutes if there isn't enough daylight to move and setup again.

I hate to miss a good sundown stand.

Otherwise it's 12-15.

I've never called in a different coyote after the shot that put one down. Not once. And it's not for lack of trying or creativity. I still try though. It's usually worth an extra 5 minutes.

I've stoped runners, brought back runners, and scared off an unseen coyote or two that were with the first, but never have called in a different from another direction.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 05:24 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
20-30 mins. But I'm new
Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 05:35 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
The fastest I ever had one come in was 8 min. the longest was a little over an hour. I never had a second one come in after the first one was down. Last fall I did have a coyote come in about 2 min. after I shot a fox.
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 05:55 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Its real hard for me to give a stand time. It will range from 10-60 min. Just depends on what info I have on the area I am calling. Meaning, if I know there are coyotes there I may do what ever I can to get them to show. It will also depend on what coyote vocalizations I am using as well and the type of area I am hunting.

And the weather, temps, and as bad as I hate to say it....What my gut feeling tells me. We seem to kill alot of coyotes around here at the 15-20 min mark.

As for how long for the second coyote.....It really depends on how the first coyote acts when it comes to the call.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 06:05 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
20- 25 minutes all year long. i want to be sure i've worn out my welcome before moving.
IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably about 15 minutes (daytime) on average. Most coyotes seem to show up in a 4 to 6 minute window. I'll stay on stand longer early morning, late evening, or overcast days when I think the coyotes are moving and may travel into my sound pattern. Less time if I think I'm calling to bedded animals. I tend to stay on rifle stands longer than shotgun stands. Any bobcat sign is also reason to stay longer as is the sunset stand. Any stand that I don't have much confidence in is usually a short one. Which brings us to the all important 'gut feeling'.

(Mounting Soapbox) The gut feeling is the result of a persons knowledge and experience reacting to subtle sensory input. It can be wrong sometimes, but it can also be fine tuned by paying attention. As a person gains confidence thru success, it becomes easy to rely on what the gut feeling is telling you.

If everything about a stand feels good and it's been about 15 minutes, I'll often 'smoke the stand' just sitting & enjoying the view and the quiet and a cigarette. And yes, I've had to put the cigarette down more than a few times to kill a late arrival sneaking in.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:17 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
You sound like Dennis Jerk, oops I meant Kirk. I went to one of his seminars(in 91). He said he would fire one up while walking to his set up to see the wind direction, and often have a second on the same stand.
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Answers are running about what I thought they would,and I agree, 15 minutes is about it for me too. At times I'll hang around for 20 or more minutes, but it's rare.
As for how long I keep calling after I have one or two down on the first response, usually 3-5 minutes,which I believe is enough time for a straggler that hung back to come in, if its going to.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2006 08:19 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was using the JS512 I would stay till the tape ran out which was 30 min. of course but now that I use hand calls most of the time 10-15 minutes. I did call more cats with the JS.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters