The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Hunting Eastern Coyotes by Day??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hunting Eastern Coyotes by Day???
IHLAChairman
PAKMAN
Member # 238

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 08:11 AM      Profile for IHLAChairman   Author's Homepage   Email IHLAChairman         Edit/Delete Post 
Any "best" methods that you guys know of? I have at least 12 different yotes within a 3 mile radius of my hunting camp. I want them all dead. I could incorporate traps or bait/poison but I would prefer to shoot them and get all of them to the taxidermist for some really cool mounts.

I figured between Leonard and the rest of the predator hunting experts here I would get a few great ideas on getting them out in the daylight where I can hunt them during my daytime visits to the camp. I don't have the tools or time to hunt them at night.

BTW, the coyotes I have seen have been very large, easily topping 55- 60 pounds.

Thanks, John

--------------------
John E. MacEwan
President -
Intl Hunting Land Assoc. Inc.
http://www.hunt4land.org

VP Sales and Marketing -
Save Outdoor Sports LLC
http://www.saveoutdoorsports.com

Posts: 8 | From: Johnstown, PA USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Knows what it's all about
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 08:31 AM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
All expenses paid KeeKee and I will come up to Pa. and give ya a hand killin them. [Big Grin]

It would be rather hard to type out all that you need to know as far as goin in and killin them. Plus i'm not big on typing.

email me at jd@keescalls.com send me your number and we can talk it over on the phone if you'd like.

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 10:50 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
If you got a dozen 55-60lb + "yotes" around camp, I wanna see em. JD and I were just having that discussion the other day. Ive seen alot of coyotes. We have good size coyotes around here. But, seems few ever top the scales over 40lb. Please weigh and post pics.

Steel traps would be the best bet if you really want to get rid of your coyotes. Problem is, you most likely wont. More will move in.

One question, why is it so important to get rid of these coyotes?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 11:38 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
cause a lot of deer hunters are blaming coyotes for the amount of deer that are around. there is not a great ammount. Or maybe he has some problems with pets
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 04:06 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, member #238? I thought you were member # 1.
John, you need a hands on approach by an experienced caller if you want them shot and mounted. Check out Dave Dunbars resume in the "great" thread and shoot him an Email. That's far and away your best bet.

IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 07:12 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
IHLAChairman,
They can be called during the day, but you almost have to go into the cover to do it. Eastern coyotes don't like to cross much open ground when coming to a call in daytime. You will never get all of them though. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2006 11:16 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
John, that is making a mighty big statement"coyotes easilly topping 55-60 lbs."Whats those coyotes eating up there? I live about an hours drive from Johnstown.Maybe in a couple of weeks i will come up that way and check the area out.From what i seen that is some beautifull calling country.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 05:49 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
bigben, you honestly believe that coyotes are depleting the deer herd in PA? I guess it could be possible, but not likely..... Coyotes get blamed for alot of things that just isnt the case. Easy targets.

Edit:
I did some quicky research. Some say there is no decline. Some offer several reasons for the decline, but not one mentions coyotes or other predators. I doubt very seriously if its happening.

Im sorry, I guess its just one of those things that gets under my skin. When someone comes along wanting coyotes wiped out and someone else blames them for the demise of another species, especially when theres a snowballs chance in hell thats the case, it eats at me. Coyotes get enough of a bum rap for things they actually do. They dont need an extra punch from the ignorant (not stupid, uninformed) public.

[ September 04, 2006, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

TrappinJohn
PAKMAN
Member # 943

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 08:05 AM      Profile for TrappinJohn   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy

I did not get that Bigben believes the coyotes are eating all the deer out of his post. He was just answering your question with a common answer we here so often in PA. Everyone likes to blame the coyote.

A lot has happened here over the last few years.

1) 3 years of bad winters in a row
2) 3 years of terrible mast crop
3) Combined buck and doe seasons, doe went from 3 days to 2 weeks.
4) New "herd reduction" program of increased doe allocations
5) Oh, and don't forget, increase in coyote populations.

I'm sure there is more

John

[ September 04, 2006, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: TrappinJohn ]

Posts: 6 | From: Western PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
TrappinJohn,The number one reason for the decline in the deer population is caused by the hunters themselves.It's the hunters that buys 2-3-4 doe tags and goes out there and shoot all the doe.If you throw in the number thats wounded and dies in the woods there is not much left.Yes coyotes kill deer,but they are not the main culprit.Bears get there share of the young in the spring,just the same as the coyote.If there is any complaing about the deer herd,it needs directed toward the game commission and the hunters themselves.Sorry ,but i get damned mad when hunters want to blame something else,for what they cause themselves.I think deer hunters in Pa. should think a little bit before they open there mouth.I like to hunt deer too,but i don't need to shoot 2 or 3 more than i need and nobody else does either.Yes i am from Pa. and i know where to direct the bitching at and its not the coyote.

TrapperJohn,this isn't directed toward you,it's directed towards all that bitches about whats happened to the deer decline in this state.I think they need a wake up call to reality and start bitching about the doe license allocations.

[ September 04, 2006, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 11:30 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds alot more like right, Melvin. PA is a highly populated state and very near many big cities. I would say the deer population would have to be very strong to maintain any type of multiple tags per hunter.

Much more credible than the evil coyotes....

--------------------
Andy

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 11:40 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't I read that 60,000 deer are killed on Pa. highways each year?
John, does the state issue depredation permits for soccor mom's SUVs?

CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 02:04 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Melvin and TJ are correct there are many reasons for the deer herd being so low, but the main one is the hunters themselves. Here is an interesting article about the coyotes diet in PA.

-

It is kind of tuff to read and if you would like a better copy zip me an email and I will send ya one.

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 02:38 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe it is only coyotes killin all the deer. what I meant is a lot of northern teir deer hunters state that the deer are being killed off by coyotes. then you get some weird ones that think the pgc imported mtn lions to take care of the coyote pop. it is a mix of things trappn john pretty much got it nailed down
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet that most of the coyote turds sampled, were taken with in a quarter mile of a highway.

Kind of like taking turd samples at Denny's to see where folks had recently eaten.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is 60,000 deer killed annualy in Pa that would explain why the coyotes have so much deer in there turds. The state of Minn. did a study on coyotes a couple years ago and found that the coyotes here only had 20% of deer in there diet and the rest was plants and bugs in the summer and Mice, rabbits, squirrel. game birds and some corn dureing the winter months. We have areas where the deer numbers are low and the cause of that is rough winters and too many hunters for that area. In some areas the deer are able to keep a stable size herd buy produceing twin fawns and sometime triplets.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"If there is 60,000 deer killed annualy in Pa that would explain why the coyotes have so much deer in there turds."
--------------
Exactly! Just because the coyotes ate deer meat don't necessarily mean they killed em. I eat beef every day, but I actually can't recall ever killing a cow. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 06:02 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
this is very interesting. on one hand we give the coyote credit for being the most adaptable proficient predator on the planet. then on the other want to deny that they can impact a prey species population in any way.
sure cars and hunters take many more deer a year across the U.S. than coyotes do but glossing over the coyote's impact on prey populations is just insane. i am not blaming just coyotes for declines but they are part of the equation. bears, lions, coyotes, hunters and cars equal lower populations.
i see many 'possum feeding on deer that some slob hunter shot, took just the backstraps off and left the rest. do i think the 'possum took it down? no. same with coyote that have deer hair in their scat. is it possible the deer did get taken by a coyote? of course but many more times than not it is just carrion. nobody is in complete denial but some are pretty close.

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 06:15 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a place East of here called the Noble Foundation Wildlife something or other someway affiliated with Texas A&M but it was used to study deer and turkey mostly IIRC.

It's way off the beaten path and high fenced with an electric fence. I helped them rig up an electric release for their nets and got to know one of the guys there so of course I asked if they had any problems with coyotes (always looking for a new place to hunt).

They did a study of their own and found very little predation on deer or turkey, which surprised them all. Seems the coyote gets the blame wherever he goes.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,i don't dispute there findings,but i do disagree with those that blame the coyote for the dwindling deer herd.Lets look at the 2005 Deer Harvest report.Total Harvest-120,500 Antlered+233,890 Antlerless Deer.This totals out at 354,390 deer harvested.Doe supposedly average two fawns a year,so if we say these harvested doe were to have young,that would come to 467,780 fawns.Doe and fawns combined would come to 701,670.Now lets throw in the bucks,It comes to 822,170 deer.Now were not done yet,there is the deer killed by cars,poachers,and dogs(pets.)My guess is ,that would come close to a million deer in one year.Now you can see where all the deer are going and the coyote gets the blame. [Confused]
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 07:06 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
In some areas though coyotes can be a problem. I got a call from a rancher friend in one of the western states one night and as usual he asked me when i was comeing out to hunt coyotes, i told him maybe in a week and i asked whats up. He said that the coyotes were killing his mule deer on his ranch. I asked him are you sure and he says yes about 500 yds out from the house on a big hill with a deep revine to the south. I told him i would head out tommorrow and see what i could do. When i got there his son got out the 4-wheelers and we went out to take a look. Sure enough the coyotes were killing the smaller mule deer. We found three areas were the deer were killed and eating, nothing left but the hair and a few bones. I went back to my truck and got my gear and headed out into the pasture, that day i called in a pair and took one and later on called in a single and got him. I did'nt get anymore call ins so i moved on to some other ranches. I thought to my self on the way home there has to be more coyotes around to inflict that kind of damage. only thing i could think of that they were staying accross the river or on the neighbers property. Well it turned out i was right the ranchers son had a friend come out to hunt and he got 6 coyotes out of ten, most of them were called off of the neighbers fence line to the west which was 4 miles away from the ranch house. This was just one ranch with the coyote problem,

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TrappinJohn
PAKMAN
Member # 943

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 07:37 PM      Profile for TrappinJohn   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin's quote:
quote:
TrappinJohn,The number one reason for the decline in the deer population is caused by the hunters themselves.It's the hunters that buys 2-3-4 doe tags and goes out there and shoot all the doe
I believe I covered that with # 3 and 4

Coyotes are a small part of a big problem.

TrappinJohn
PAKMAN
Member # 943

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for TrappinJohn   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i see many 'possum feeding on deer that some slob hunter shot, took just the backstraps off and left the rest. do i think the 'possum took it down? no. same with coyote that have deer hair in their scat. is it possible the deer did get taken by a coyote?
I like that one..... I'll bet if they did a study on possum scat they find a lot of deer hair, that means.....
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 01:45 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few years ago I did a "study" of my own on "road killed" deer. I did this in the winter around my cabin in Pike county. ALL the road kills or dumped deer that I was observing had coyote tracks all around them but were never touched.
Here are some that I was watching. I have no idea why these deer were dumped here. They were gutted but other wise still in tact. There was 3 or 4 and like I said tracks everywhere but not a single bite out of them. I watched them for a couple months.
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Its obvious. The big bad coyotes killed them, ate the innards and left them to rot.

Wasteful bastards.....

--------------------
Andy

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters