The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » 204 on coyotes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 204 on coyotes
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 07:37 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to get me one of these.
Tyler's partner used one in a Savage 12, Accu trigger, black synthetic. Leupold LPS. Too heavy but accurate and Rich can just flat shoot that thing.
I saw him shoot one coyote on Sun, standing broadside, about 350 yards, 204 entrance, nickel size exit, just switched the coyote off. No spinning, flopping, biting, tail rotation, nothing. I asked him how high he held over. He said 2 inches.
He shot a running coyote at about 100 yards, perfect placement, 204 entrance behind shoulder, nickel exit. Just switched it off.
The day before Tyler said that Rich shot one behind the shoulder at about 20 yards, 204 entrance, no exit. Just switched it off. No flopping. He was using the 40 gr Vmax.

IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 07:42 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, mine is a CZ527 American. Check it out before you buy. Its a short, light, fast handling and shoots like a dream. I love it.

Now, gotta kill some coyotes with it and see if I love the 204 equally as well. [Wink]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 09:26 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

They are a great little fur gun,that's for sure.I've shot quite a few coyotes with mine in the last year or so and it really does amaze me what it will do.I have only shot the 35 grain Bergers at coyotes and haven't had one run off yet.And only a couple had some damage but both were hit high in the back.My long shot on one so far is only 300 yards but it didn't move and had no pelt damage.I'm running mine at about 3850 fps (muzzle) with H4895 powder.It is an addicting little bugger to shoot. [Wink] Good Hunting Chad

[ September 13, 2006, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1617 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 03:13 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
i reasoned myself out of getting 1 about a month ago. i had the cash and was ready to play. i still want one and may try an H & R.
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 05:54 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I shot Andys on a prarie dog town a couple weeks ago & was very impressed with the CZ, light & accurate for sure but the best part was I was shooting up his ammo [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Knows what it's all about
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2006 06:54 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich I have a204 Sav 12 With a Hary lawsen stock.
In the last 2 year I think I have only shot 2 coyotes with other guns 1 was with a 20 Acly Hornet I do not like the 32 grn pills 35 and 40 grn wook great.
Good hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 02:28 PM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading how everyone seems to love the 35 grain berger, no reason to mess with success I guess. Are any of you 204 shooters planning on trying the nosler 40 grain on coyotes? Or, why is the 35 grain berger more popular than the 40 grain version? Just curious. I bought a box of the 40 grain noslers to try, have to get some loaded up soon. I have shot 10 coyotes with the 40 grain v-maxes, and it has been a one shot lights out thing. However, I have not hit a shoulder bone with them.
Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 03:30 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I one of the biggest reason you don't hear more about the 40 gr. bullets, is that it seems like a lot of the factory 12 twist barrels don't shoot them very well. Those that do shoot them well, seem to have real good results on coyotes with them.

Then too, part of the allure of the .204 is "fast and flat", with minimal recoil or disturbance of the sight picture. The velocities with the 40's out of the .204 case start to get kind of pedestrian (comparatively speaking), mid range trajectory starts to lose some of it's sex appeal (again, comparatively speaking), recoil is right there with the .223 (you get the idea), and you start asking yourself "why not just shoot a .22-250? It will spit out 40's at 400 fps faster".

I'm well aware of the BC and SD advantages of a .204 40 gr. over a .224 40 gr., but I think that's the general nature of the thought process.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 03:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right. That's part of the reason why the 204 hasn't roused my interest very much. Might show to good effect at short ranges, but that's not the whole ball game in a general purpose calling rifle. I'm not knocking it, (for those that own one), just can't see where I would need it?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31470 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
From what little experience I've had with mine.It seems to whack coyotes(35 grain bullet) with the same type of authority that my .22-250 does with 55 grain bullet.Like I said my long shot so far with it is only 300 yards.But all the coyotes I've hit whether good or bad shots have anchored them,about like my .22-250.I'm no gun Guru by any means and don't really know about all the B.C and S.D and all that stuff but I do know it is flat,fast,and accurate and whacks coyotes.All I know is that my .22-250,and .223 AI have been collecting dust since I bought my .204 Ruger. [Wink] Just my 2 cents Good Hunting Chad
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 05:51 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that the reason that a lot of people have trouble with forty grain bullets is they are shooting factory ammo. I feel that the factory ammo leaves something to be desired. My rifle shoots factory 40 grainers into slightly over an inch at a hundered yards. But it has yet to shoot more than about a 1/2 inch with handloads it seems to shoot all brands of forty grain bullets quite well. FYI I have been using 10X powder.

While it's no 22-250 I feel that it has more impact than any .223 that i have tried.

P.S. Leonard did you get my e-mail?

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 06:22 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
my browning is sighted in with the Hornady 32 grainers. I tried the remington 32 grainers but my rifle doesn't eject the shells well. I shot at one coyote at 300 yards with mine but missed horribly!! I hear the 39 grainers are pretty awesome but have NO experiance with them. I think I will stick with the 32 grainers from hornady but sometimes they are tough to find. I have never heard of an exit wound with the 32 grainers at any range.

p.s. I shot a coyote TWICE with .223 55 grain softpoints and they both "slipped" through. Never did find that coyote [Frown] and the shot was at <50 yards.

Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 10:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert. No, I did not get an email from you, but I have been thinking that I need to make contact, mental telepathy type of thing. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31470 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
22-250
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 04:58 PM      Profile for 22-250           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I got a new 204 barrel early February. Five coyotes have been killed with, all at home in Poway. Around March timeframe, my wife just finishing feeding the horse when the neighbor's (300 yards away) dog started barking at their property line. The dog has an electronic coller that is activated when he get within a minimum distance of a buried wire.

Anyway there was four coyotes trying to lure the dog out of the open area of the yard into some medium heavy brush area. Pam called the neighbor and the neighbor got the dog in the house.

I decided to see if the coyotes were going to follow the normal route, which put crossing across another neighbor property that was only 150 yards for where I decide to setup. Long story, but of the four coyotes three bit the dust, around 200 to 250 yards. The fourth just headed straight up a really steep hillside to get away.

Also, all my kills have just dropped dead. But I have not had any exit holes. I am shooting 40 gr vmax as well. Have not tried the 32 gr vmax.

[ September 15, 2006, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: 22-250 ]

--------------------
The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him and even the flea would desert him for a velocipede.

Posts: 108 | From: Longview, Texas, glad to be gone | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 08:54 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard a lot of good things about the .204. I thought about buying one, but I already have two .17 Rem's.
 -

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddie
Member # 952

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Freddie           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one Model 7 in .17 Rem.I use IMR 4320 and get similar results as PAyotehunter however with the shorter barrel 3650 fps is about it. I also have one CZ 527 American in .204 and a .204 LSV Remington. I wouldn't trade them for anything. The CZ is giving me good groups with the 30 grain Bergers and I will be trying them out on Coyote this year. The .204 LSV Remington is giving me good groups with the .40 grain Hornady I have been making the rancher happy with the prairie dogs with that one. I have been using 10X powder in the .204 rifles

[ September 15, 2006, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Freddie ]

Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2006 12:17 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Freddie, welcome to Huntmasters. Where in Az are you located?
PAyotehunter, impressive group.

Freddie
Member # 952

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2006 02:52 PM      Profile for Freddie           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Higgins, I live near Prescott. Thanks for the welcome.

[ September 17, 2006, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Freddie ]

Posts: 29 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2006 09:16 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a .20 Tactical being built,should have it in a month or two,very much like the the .204 in performance,it will have an 11 twist barrel to make sure it will handle the 40's.Been gathering every bit of info I can get my hands on for loads,bullet selection, etc.There's a very wide swing in printed velocities for 32 and 40 grain loads......Ballisticly,the 40 grainer starts out slower than the 32 grainer until at 250 yards ,the 40 grainer takes over.So why not just shoot 40's?........I'm going to try different 32's,a 35, and 40's, along with a few different powders to find "the load".......I've seen where the factory .204 Hornady rounds have their bullets seated pretty deep,resulting in a big jump for the bullet to gap before it makes contact with the lands,a good opportunity for the handloader.......I've got no big plans for using it on Coyotes 'tho.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
J_hun
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 05:54 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Pat Hoing has one and it flat drops them with no problem. He uses benchmark with 39gr.bullet.
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 08:20 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to mention Sierra's 39 grain Blitz King,heard lots of good things about this bullet,seems to be a favorite.Benchmark is on the list of powders to try.
brett
PAKMAN
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 12:16 PM      Profile for brett   Email brett         Edit/Delete Post 
has anyone tried loading the 40gr berger match or the 45 gr hornady soft pts. i am looking for bullet that is easy on fur. i have shot a few coyotes with the 32 gr vmax but they leave big holes
Posts: 4 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 12:25 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some factory 32gr VMax. They shot really well and blew the hell out of prarie dogs. DAA suggested I try some 35gr Bergers on coyotes and Rich gave a fantastic first hand account of the 204 with 40gr VMax.

So, I bought some 40gr Vmax, factory, to try on coyotes. And, I got a box of 35gr Bergers to load and try as well. Ill let you know and post some pics, if you guys want, of fur damage and accounts of performance as I go. I think there is great potential here and want to try and perfect it.

At the range, the 40s shoot good. Not quite as tight as the 32s, but still good enough for a hunting rifle. Im not going to shoot matches and it will still outshoot alot of rifles I have seen people call good over the years. I plan on loading some of the 35 Bergers soon and see how they shoot.

Like Q said, just a couple more weeks. Im READY!! [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 05:08 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
brett,

If you reload, the 35 bergers are great,easy on the fur,fast and very accurate.And they really whack the coyotes.I to am looking to try the 45 grain Hornady SP to see how they do.Probably will be Factory bullets to start with but if they work out I might start reloading some for coyotes.FWIW Good Hunting Chad

sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 08:54 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone shot these bullets we've been talking about on paper at 300 yards for comparison?Curious how that 35 grain Berger stacks up with it's hollow point and flat base for trajectory.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters