The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » fox hunter from the East

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fox hunter from the East
foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 05:31 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Kaprocki signing in for the first time.
I've just finished snooping around this website and see some interesting comments.
Hope to post a few of my own.
Thanks.............Foxcaller53.

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard foxcaller.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 07:34 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Dave. Looking forward to your posts.
IP: Logged
Alaskan Yoter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 07:48 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Dave.

Looking forward to reading your post on fox hunting.

Be safe,
Todd

Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 11:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, foxcaller53. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 03:56 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
wow someone that aint too far away. I live in carlisle. just another wealth of knowledge.
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 09:12 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
BigBen, I've been in contact with Tom Monko on several occasions. I was to do a fox calling demo several times...schedules never accomodated. I'm a field editor for T&PC and PH and have been writing for Paul Wait now for 5 years. I've been a fox caller for 30+ years and enjoy it more each season. You might know one of my fur buyers (Jerry Johnson). He's an icon in our area...at least that's what he tells me. Just kidding...
Foxcaller53
PS: This is my first "reply" on the website...hope it worked correctly.

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 01:30 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading through this thread going, " Kaprocki, Kaprocki, Kaprocki, where do I know that name from?" Thanks for the full intro. now I know from whence thou camest!

Welcome Dave!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 04:57 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Locohead, what part of CO are you from? We go thru there to our elk hunts...always seem to gas up at Limon, CO before headin' out.
Thanks for the warm welcome (everyone)!

foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 10:18 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FYI to all you fox callers here in the north-east:

I've been invited to do a fox calling demo for the NJ Furharvesters Assco on Saturday Nov 4th.
Would love to meet each of you....hope to see you there!

Dave Kaprocki

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 10:49 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Englewood, a suburb of Denver. Limon is great place for birds and probably for coyotes too but there is hardly a thing to hide behind man. Reminds me of parts of Kansas. I hunt elk West of Kremmling, CO. What season will you be hunting this year?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 11:16 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Loco,
Went to northern Quebec for 'bou this year. We are strictly bowhunters and we hunt elk west of Walsenberg. We also go to NM and MT. I enjoy it so much that I simply don't have time for a job these days...
We're planning a coyote hunt in eastern MT some fall. We hunt the national forest and BLM from the back of our pickup. It's tough but that's one way to really get into the hunt and get the full experience. I'm a die-hard mouth caller but after writing the "e-caller" piece for T&PC, i've experienced the e-caller side of predator hunting and see advantages in it.

As for elk...got my biggest bull last year in MT...6x6 around 300. That makes 5 bulls now. We're do-it-yourselfer's, hunting public land, hiking in 5-10 miles and then hunting out of our bivy sacks for 2-weeks. It's a tough way to hunt, but that's the beauty of it also. We woke up to mist on our faces....walked 100 yards and started cow calling. The bull worked his way in to within 30 yards.....big mistake! Took 2 days to pack it out on our backs...wouldn't trade it for anything tho! [Smile]
Nice chattin' with ya, Loco!

DK

bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 04:22 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
yep I know jerry johnson very well. very good guy. if you are ever up in carlisle area let me know maybe we can go out on some of the farms I have.
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
" Kaprocki, Kaprocki, Kaprocki, where do I know that name from?"
Locohead,

That's the sound you hear when you shake the Yahtzee cup real slow.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2006 09:00 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's the sound you hear when you shake the Yahtzee cup real slow.
Oh lord, that aint right, it sure is funny though. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Welcome aboard Dave........see what you have to look forward to. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 04:36 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
BigBen, I'd like that! Mid Novemberish when furs start priming up sound like a plan?

Tim & JD....I'm already feelin' the love! Thanks for the WARM welcome! [Smile]

bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 06:38 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
sounds good
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 10:52 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

Do you shoot many coyote?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 11:36 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, thanks for the post!
No...not many by your standards I'm sure. Last year I called in 4 and killed 3 near my house, in one afternoon. It was on the mountain in thick cover so used my 12-guage #4shot at 10-20 yards!

However, we have so many more foxes than coyotes which is why I hunt them mostly (at night). Seems the coyotes don't respond well to night calling (my opinion only) but will in the daytime. I've called a few in at night but mostly in the daytime near some form of thick cover.

Hunting fox at night is my real passion. Most folks can call in a fox to within 100-yds, but not many know how to further entice them to within 20-yds for a close-range shot with the shotgun. That's where the excitment lies in this type of hunting.

Reminds me....I've read other posts about the averages of calls vs kills (coyotes)...I've kept maticulous records for 30 years and my fox average is 44% kills on all called in (close to 1000 foxes). People who have not hunted fox at night, in an attempt to get the animal to within shotgun range, wouldn't understand why this kill average isn't higher. As you already know, a predators instict is very strong and has saved many hides over the years.
Their hearing is incredible and any foreign sound a hunter might make will alert them in an instant.

Bottomline: you really can't compare the call vs kill average for fox, to coyotes, as most coyotes are called in the daytime and shot at long range. Try this: trade your rifle for a shotgun and try luring coyotes in to shooting range and then see how your kill average drops drastically.

Sorry for the long post...just some thoughts that came to mind as I was reading your post.
Great talking with ya!
Dave

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 11:56 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave,

I think I've read most of your TPC articles and without looking I can't remeber many on coyote.

Would the number of fox in your area be a indication of low numbers of coyote?

For me, Fox are a tough call and mange sure doesn't help matters.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 12:56 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with ya on the shotgun thing but in a area like this I am not skilled enough with a rifle. this is one of my best gray fox places to call.

-

PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 02:08 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I know what your saying. I've been fox hunting since I was 17(1987) and only ever shot two over 20 yards, most under 10. I think I hunt fox different then most though.
Where are you from? I was born and raised in Pen Argyl untill I was about 24, then when I came home from Germany I lived in Nazareth(plaifield twp.) for about 9 years, now I live in Kempton its about 15 miles west of Allentown. I have a cabin in Pike county, that is where I do most of my coyote hunting. I have coyote hunts at my cabin, your welcome to come if you like. Here is a post I made with more info. http://huntnpa.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1154635517
-Aaron

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters