The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Just a few more weeks!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just a few more weeks!!
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I am really getting pumped up about this fur season. All the damn coyotes seam to have mange but I am still going to hit them hard. Fur prices are going to be better this year also so that always helps keep you motivated. Can’t wait to try out some daytime coon calling. I got some great tips from Lance and some other friends that have had success.

Today I took a little time to clean up the old ugly stick (my swift) and boy was it a filthy pig. I hadn’t had the barreled action out of the stock it about two years. There was caked blood all around the recoil lug. I mounted up my 20 power Leopould target scope to fine-tune my hand loads. Last week I bought up a few pounds of RL 15 and 500 fifty-five gr Noslers. I also bought another box of 52gr A-max. I experimented briefly with them this summer on target and on some Jack Rabbits. They shot very well and expanded well also. My friend in Africa has killed just over 1000 jackal with the bullet now with no complaints so it could be worth a look. The A-Max had better shoot noticeably better than my old 55gr Noslers though. It will be hard to give up the ballistic advantage of the 55 grainers.

My terriers are bouncing off the walls in the mornings. This cool weather has got them primed and ready to go as well. Every day I can just see it in their eyes “is it time yet boss?” LOL They crack me up. I have a list of about 26 old houses and out buildings I am going to hit. Those little knot heads are going to get all the exercise they can handle in a little over a month.

The days are getting shorter and my steps are getting lighter. This is a special time of the year. The smells and sounds of fall are in the air. I can’t wait!!!

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 10:14 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda like Christmas, Quinton?
It's going to hit 99 by Friday. I was hoping the mercury was going the other way.

IP: Logged
The Bandit
Knows what it's all about
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 11:15 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can’t wait to try out some daytime coon calling
Your kidding right, coons don't come out in the daytime do they ? [Razz]

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2006 11:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, The Bandit. Glad to have you on board.

Hey, where's my caller?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 03:21 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
coons don't come out in the daytime do they ?
Only if you know how to say "pretty please", lol. Steve showed me the way. Did you bring him with you? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 04:44 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Each year, there's a progression of indicators that get my blood pumping. The day lilies are up and gone. The Mississippi kites have migrated back south. The starlings are moving through in clouds. Football every Friday and Saturday, and as of this week, the sumac is scarlet red and the big bluestem has turned purple on the hillsides. Fall is here and the time is near, boys!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 05:05 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Count me as cant wait too.

Q, I have killed a bunch of coyotes, well, maybe not by your standards [Big Grin] , with a 52gr AMax in my 223AI. I have really good luck with it on fur and it hammers them to the ground as well.

I hope to get into some of this daytime coon callin as well. I quizzed Lance a little and he was gracious enough to help. May have to ask some more... [Wink]

Im ready, I know that much.

Edit: My dogs are bouncing off the walls too. I hoping to get them in the mix of the coon calling. If someone goes with me and will hold them quiet til the coon gets on the ground, it might work. I know they can catch a coon. Taggers done that a few times. Guess we will see.

[ September 25, 2006, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 06:26 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys need to be careful if you let your dogs fight coons. Those things can fight pretty mean when you get one cornered!

-

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 08:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy L if you really want to see what the 52 gr A-max can do, get a cartridge that holds a little more powder. I have been useing them in my 22-250 ackley at 3900- 4000 fps. Like you said Andy they do a nice job on the coyotes and they group real nice out to 650 yds. They have a little heavier jacket so they tend to go into the coyote, instead of splattering on the surface.
Q good luck on the coons, i well be after them as well, i'm waiting for the farmers to take the beans out.

[ September 25, 2006, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
They do very nicely out of the cartridge I fire them out of. Thanks though..

--------------------
Andy

Butch-1
PAKMAN
Member # 953

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Butch-1           Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of dog are you using.
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 06:04 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Jack Russells and a Patterdale Butch.

Good hunting.

Q,

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 06:25 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had to scrape a little ice off my windshield the last two mornings. Think I'll get my stuff all ready this weekend, and get out there amongst 'em the following.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Butch, I dont know who you were asking. I have two airdales and a jrt.

For coons, the Airedales do really well. I dont know if I can hold them quiet enough to get one on the ground and away from the tree or not. Havent got to try yet. If I can, it will be fun. They will catch and kill it, thats not a problem. At least from what Ive seen in the past with them on coons.

--------------------
Andy

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 07:06 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
for raccoons i prefer a trap dog and a few slices of venison jerky. i'm trying my hand at trapping for the first time this year. i've trapped 3 already for damage control behind the house but will hold off for a bit until the fur primes a little.
IP: Logged
brett
PAKMAN
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 01:10 PM      Profile for brett   Email brett         Edit/Delete Post 
if yall dont mind what are you getting for coyote furs in your part of the country. they arent worth anything here.
Posts: 4 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Q,

I am pretty stoked myself, about fur, I finally got my trapper's license. [Big Grin]

Turns out this isn't a cage only state, there's ways around that.

I'll be laying steel for coyotes this season, and might actually get a chance to kill one.

I hope your season goes as well as you hope for. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 01:24 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Brett,
The year before last, I got $22 + or -. I didnt hunt last year due to work.

With taking the risk of sounding bad, not meant that way, it may be where you live? I havent hunted Texas, but the coyotes I have seen that came from there, both in person and in pics, were less than good. Not very big and not furred up very well at all.

May not be that way all over, but thats what I have ovserved and been told. God, Ill probably get flamed for this post... [Eek!]

--------------------
Andy

brett
PAKMAN
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for brett   Email brett         Edit/Delete Post 
i hunt in west texas and your right good fur on coyotes isnt the norm. our bobcats are a different story im going to wait till the end of the month to start taking them.
Posts: 4 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 04:56 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Q, When you get tired of killing them little mangy Cornhusker coyotes, give me a call. I may have some new country this year.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 07:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The rains have stopped for now and the farmers are in the fields takeing out the beans and corn.
Was working on a job near the river valley and i noticed today that the leaves are starting to change colors, its a beutiful site. The ducks are flying everywhere and the season has just started. I'm not going to hunt ducks this year and i am starting to miss it already, something about the smell of a slough really gets to me. Just like deer hunting with the smell of a fresh gut pile and the burning of wood at the camp fire.
A couple more weeks then the fun begins and it will go on for six month's, i can hardly wait.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, I have been trying to call you for the last three nights. You are either in high demand or you have dial-up like me. LOL Nothing important, just wanted to BS with you about a couple of different things. I’ll catch you one of these evenings.

Was elk hunting all day today and saw exactly 1 coyote. The good news was that he had hair. At least I think it was a hair I seen on the end of his tail? LOL Not looking good. All I know is that November won’t get here soon enough. Mange or not the coyotes are going to catch hell.

Good hunting.

Q,

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 12:06 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Q, might as well get those mangey ones too and take them out of the population. Maybe next years crop will be a little healthier. See ya Friday.
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2006 07:36 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Tom. Matt and I have a horrible itch to scratch these days and I'm ready to start calling. [Smile] Figure we may as well call and tote guns. Kill those with no hair and give a bye to those with. Evey day those mangey coyotes live, they're infecting and exposing other healthy coyotes. The only thing keeping me outta the country right now is the damned ragweed. ALrady blowing blood out my schnoz from the sinus infection I have. Geesh, I hate summer.

[ October 01, 2006, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters