The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Full moon and your success rate (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Full moon and your success rate
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 04:47 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so does your day time calling success rate suffer during the full moon? And if not, do you use different tactics or the same o same o?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 04:50 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
This time, it did. Boy, the hunting here just sucks right now.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 04:52 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, Im telling you what. Me and Rshaw worked our ass off for the two we got saturday. We seen 7 in 9 stands but for the conditions and the spots we hit you think we would of seen more. Ive made 7 stands since saturday with nothing. I think its the moon surely? Nice cold wheather with snow and no coyotes....

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I've spoken with ppl across the state and east as far as IN this week and daytime calling is a bust everywhere. It will get better, but it's amazing how when it goes south, it goes south everywhere at the same time.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I was ashamed to say anything. It has sucked here big time. I was pumped too. I guess things suck all over the midwest....

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it's time to invite Leonard back to Kansas. [Wink]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right! It was miserable at the World Hunt for a lot of us PAK MEN, right Higgins?

I don't know why, but we hunted our asses off and it didn't do any good?

Of course, I have always been against full (or near full) conditions, day or night.

I can't prove anything, but I do know why I like to hunt on a new moon. Simple. I seem to do better.

Good hunting. LB

edit: Congrats, Lance! I just noticed your elite status!

[ December 05, 2006, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 04:28 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Leonard. You need to update yours.

--------------------

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 05:06 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Daylight calling during a full moon has always sucked for me.

But some of the best night hunting I've ever had was under a full moon with snow on the ground. It seemed as every predator was out and running to fill his belly.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 05:15 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I made a couple stands the other night on the snow. Nothing. Just like during the day. I think maybe we got a bit much snow right now. I know its a bitch to get around in and the rabbits arent out much either. We got 2+" of ice and 14-16" of snow on top of it. Its a bitch. I was excited about the full moon, it looks like daylight, shadows and all, at midnight. But damned if I could call anything.

Of course, I only made a couple stands. Maybe should have kept going. Maybe later on would have been better?

One of my favorite times to call is coming up. This snows starting to melt, a little, and its going to warm up. Thats normally when I do very well.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 05:17 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm glad you pampass ass's all have troubles with the full moon too.
I had gone out last Friday, I've been looking for some new honey hole on the eastern plains. Well, I did 6 stands on Friday and saw nothing. Then finally on the 7th stand of the day, I had one show itself, but no shot. Then on the 8th through the 12th stands, I called in 7, bumped 4 others. SO I thought I had finally found a higher density coyote area.
What confussed me was that I went back on Sunday to the same area, and only saw two, and they weren't coming to the call. Called all day, and not one to show for it!
Seemed like about the same moon phase, very similar weather, but total opposite results.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 12:05 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the best hunts I was ever on was during the full moon. Three of us killed 28 in 2 1/2 days. Off course it was the Texas Panhandle where they carry the Kamikaze gene.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 12:56 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Well there was this one full moon night in back seat of my 1947 Plymouth-----Oh, you mean coyote hunting? never mind. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Knows what it's all about
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
How has your luck been hunting at night with no snow? I ussually stay home in these conditions..... just wondering about everyone else?
Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 03:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I love to blame a day of poor calling on the full moon, and do it often; however.....the best day that I have ever had was during a full moon. Go figure.

While callers will blame the full moon for poor success because the coyotes move all night, the trappers generally favor the new moon as when the most movement occures. Makes for great campfire discussions.

What I have to wonder is; maybe it's not the effect that the moon has on the coyote, but the effect that the moon has on the local prey species.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

I started to make that same comparative statement in my post, but left it out.

My theory is the trapping picks up on a new moon, because the coyote has to move slower and rely on his nose more during the new moon nights. Therefore he is more prone to picking up the scents of the lure.

I think the daytime calling is better at this time, because the coyote didn't get his belly filled over night in the dark, and is out hunting later into the day.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 12:47 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Your theory makes sense to me. If a coyote feeds on a full moon night it wouldn't be as likely to respond the next day. If the same coyote moves all night on a new moon and doesn't successfully feed (or get caught) it should be hungry come sunrise and answer to calling.

However; this brings us to the next question, which is....How long does a coyote's belly stay 'full' after feeding? If our coyote feeds at night during a full moon and doesn't respond well to calls the next morning, wouldn't it be at least starting to get pretty hungry by that afternoon?? Calling should be better during the afternoons of the full moon.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 07:02 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli and Tim. How do we explain calling coyotes off of a deadpile or a fresh carcass? I have had coyotes come running to the call still covered with "soup" from being inside the carcass. We have called the same areas during a full moon with no takers. Two weeks later they are running to the calls again.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, first, hunting at night, under a full moon is very difficult, but mostly because the coyotes can see you real good. Are they more active during that phase or not, or at least hunting more, I can't say, for sure?

Now, exactly why daytime hunting during a full moon phase is poor, that's a good question. Some people don't even agree that it is more difficult hunting. Well, that's fine, but I happen to think the moon has an influence, and at times it is negative and other times it has a more positive effect.

I assure all of you, night hunting under a dark moon is better hunting. Not because they are out and more active, but because they can't see you, as well as when there is a moon. Actually, as a guess, I think they are probably a little more active during those times when there is a bright moon, and they can see their quarry a little better. It just seems to make more sense, but it is something that doesn't matter to anything or anyone other than hunters on message boards. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

foxcaller53
PAKMAN
Member # 958

Icon 6 posted December 08, 2006 08:26 AM      Profile for foxcaller53   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in PA, I hunt fox 100% at night. I can tell you that a full moon is my enemy. The fox are spookier when coming to my calls and I actaully have to set up in a different fashion as not to be seen........in comparison to a new moon.

A new moon is definitely my friend. Easier to set up and fox seem to respond better. It's also much easier to see eyes with your lights under a new moon. Was out one night several weeks ago and called in 11 reds and shot 5. There was no moon that night, but right now, it's harder due to the bright moon.

Well, there you have it...my 2-cents.
Dave Kaprocki

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2006 08:47 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich Higgens;

I explain it all with the following example,

Women will be women.

Cats will do as they please.

Coyotes will adapt & survive.

There's not a damn thing that men can do about any of it except come up with theorys to make ourselves seem wise.

That should be clear as mud. (Insert one of those smiley things)

[ December 08, 2006, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 06:06 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, that last post may have come across as a bit more acerbic than I intended. To much EverClear in the Eggnog perhaps. The truth is that I have no idea why coyotes will do some of the things that they do, like being called off of a carcass. Makes about as much sense as someone leaving a steakhouse 'cause they smell french fries next door. I'm just glad that coyotes continue to mystify us. It keeps us humble & it's more fun when we succeed.

--------------------

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 06:45 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
What do they call animals like coyotes and deer that are active to some degree both night and day - diurnal?

Whatever, with a full moon and moderate weather (>40-ish) I try to satisfy some other habit because the daytime will typically be dead. I believe the effect is less certain in real cold weather.

In the days before legal lights I used to drool over the idea of snow cover and a full moon. Now I dread them.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 07:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's not a damn thing that men can do about any of it except come up with theorys to make ourselves seem wise.
I didn't think your post was ascerbic at all and I agree with it completely.Apparently I'm not too concerned about seeming wise with some of my theories. I explained one such to Major Boddiker at the campout and he graciously replied "Well that is interesting."
Leonard, however turned to someone and said "That was off the wall." [Smile]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 08:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I work on my diplomacy every day. Thanks for pointing out that it still needs a little polishing.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters