The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » northern Saskatchewan (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: northern Saskatchewan
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 10:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Visited Albert Pilling for a seven day wolf hunt. Bad weather, wind and two feet of snow kept us out of many areas, three days running, a break in the weather and then more wind and blowing snow. Saw several recent wolf tracks, scat and scent posting; had them return howl twice, but never actually laid eyes on one.

Very unique experience. Thanks, Albert.

Good hunting. LB

[ November 15, 2008, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Leonard! Looks like a great trip, regardless of the weather. What is that in the last picture? Looks like a buffalo?
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 10:58 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat looking place Leonard. The question is... did you own enough clothes to wear up there and stay warm or did Albert loan you a few layers? [Wink]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:03 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Great pictures, thanks for sharing them. If you could, can you elaborate on how you went about calling the wolves (sounds used, stands made, time on stand). It's good to see that they have snow. Here in AK, we only have 5 inches on the ground and travel into good territory on snowmobiles isn't happening. Thanks again.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, we were skirting a National Park, or reserve. Yes, that is an escaped bison.

Lance, I had more than enough clothes, but Albert did provide the Mil.surplus snow camo. PS I hope I get them back, Air Canada lost my luggage!

Tundra, Albert thinks that snowmobiles scare the animals and are illegal, in some cases, maybe most? Sounds used, once sign located, WT wolf howls and some distress sounds. Time on stand ranged from twenty minutes, to (approaching) an hour. Way more snow than usual in this particular area and it isn't going away soon. It helped (somewhat) on locating sign from the road, (every day, fresh) but it hampered movement of both vehicles and animals.

Good hunting. LB

edit: once you see a clear wolf track in the snow, you will never mistake dog or coyote for wolf.

[ December 21, 2006, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
The snowmachines definately can put the scare on wolves if it's in an area where they never hear them. In some of the areas that people go to "play" with their snowmachines, wolves are accustomed to it and will stick around (on the edges). Here in Alaska, you can use them to locate, but cannot drive them or shoot from a moving one. The WT Lone Wolf Howl is a really good sound for locating wolves. Glad you had a nice hunt.

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Very nice photos, thanks for sharing them.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 02:07 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my!
That looks cold , thanks for sharing the pics Leonard.

Paul

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted December 21, 2006 04:12 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you had an awesome trip!

You really know how to make a fellow feel jealous!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I am. First trek, I "caught a tip" and had a heck of a time getting squared away!

edit: which means; I fell on my ass and needed help getting up and pointing both shoes in the same direction.

-

[ December 21, 2006, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
That's the pitts when you do an endo on those things. It looks like the snow there is fairly "wet" and you can stay ontop of it pretty good. The snow is so light and fluffy here, that even with snowshoes, you sink down a foot or more, depending on the load. I've talked to a guy who used to hunt wolves from his dogsled. The dogsled is fairly quiet and got him into some really remote areas. Plus, he used some of his dogs howls to locate wolves. Pretty neat idea and apparently it worked for him because he seemed to do alright.

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 04:50 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pic's Leonard. Glad you had a good time.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 04:52 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very cool, literally and figuratively. [Smile] Leonard, why did you use black and white film on all but one photo?

[ December 21, 2006, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 05:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
TW, don't be fooled.

The snow was veriable, some powder and some crusty stuff, wind blown, uneven depth. Almost always breaking through the crust, when present, but most of the time, still sunk 4"-6" and other times, pulled up a lot of powder on top of the shoes, which is very tiring, but not as tiring as without the snowshoes.

In the last pic, I'm on the shoulder of the road, it just "looks" like it's firm, but one more step and you are up to your thighs, without snowshoes. There is a ditch on both sides of almost all roads, but it is blown level so you cannot tell, until that first step.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you're talking about Leonard. It burns up some energy trecking across the country on snowshoes. If you ever get a chance, read the book "Alaska Wolf Man", about a federal predator hunter here in Alaska. Great story and makes you really understand how intense the guy (Frank Glaser) was by traveling hundreds of miles on snowshoes. Leonard, how do I post pictures on here? I have a wolf pic I'd like to post if possible.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 05:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just go here:

http://photobucket.com/

and follow the directions.

Then copy the url and just paste it in a HM post.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, wonderful pictures and I am sure many great memories as well.

Catching a tip can be far more painful than stubbing a toe, but it happens to almost everyone at some point in time.

The coyotes seem to be nice and furry. about the same size and all to the CA coyotes you hunt.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
James L.
Member # 239

Icon 14 posted December 22, 2006 12:10 PM      Profile for James L.           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks cold is an understatement.. Nice Coyote Leonard..

I assume you killed it ? It doesn't say????? James L.

--------------------
Never underestimate the power of stupid people.

Posts: 18 | From: Shelbyville, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. Perfect fur gun, [Roll Eyes] 22-250 Rem. #1365 55 gr. Sierra. (no exit) He weighed 36 pounds.

How do I know? Albert bought a scale, at the country store, while gassing up, to settle a bet; which I won, BTW. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 01:15 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Albert. [Smile] I could have warned him.
IP: Logged
ACC
Member # 903

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 07:55 PM      Profile for ACC           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Good job on the hunting trip. This is my type of hunting day in day out for 5 months a year.

ACC

[ December 22, 2006, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: ACC ]

Posts: 41 | From: It takes a whole lot of liquor to like her! | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 09:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remembered something. NORTHERN LIGHTS

I have heard the term, in the past, paid it very little attention; maybe a sort of glow on the horizon, no big deal, right?

Wrong! Freakin' awesome, under the right conditions! I have never seen anything like it, and it's almost impossible to describe. Certainly not as I had imagined, they are overhead, for one thing, not on the horizon. I have some vague idea about ions or some such, but it is difficult to understand how the effect gets overhead. You just have to see it to believe it.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2006 10:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard they are a great site to see and everyone should see them atleast once in there life time. With the right conditions here we can also see them..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
They said that last week, there was a huge sun spot burst and the radiation wave should produce some awesome auroras, so I bet that's what you saw. That's cool. We see them sometimes this far south as well. A handful of years ago, I posted on here that I was at my truck on my birthday early in the morning waiting to walk into my deer stand and the northern sky started lighting up in shades of green, pink and red. That was a true treat.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2006 05:58 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
The amount of snow did make getting around difficult. To make matter worse we had two days miserable weather that dumped another foot of snow. All the back roads were impassable before this snow never mind after. There was already record snowfall in the month of November.

On the plus side Leonard is a fantastic guest and great to be around.

I am disappointed that we didn’t get the results that we hoped for, but Leonard is not one to complain. I only hope that Leonard will come back another time when we have more “average” conditions.

Thanks Leonard I really enjoyed the time we spent together.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters