The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Antlers contest and some intresting pics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antlers contest and some intresting pics
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 05:44 AM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright the title explains it’s self a little bit but not in entirety. I’m also going to double post this on some other forums so don’t get flustered when you see it. There’s been a lot of discussion on group hunting methods and others. Well CrossJ, Rshaw, and I started hunting Thursday on a ranch that had just been gunned a while back and shot 3 coyotes out of the four called in that day. It was a good day of hunting and camaraderie. Then we left Friday for an area in OK that we had some hits on land to hunt for the contest Saturday. We scouted all day to find land that was right in the heart of ROAD HUNTER CENTRAL. See fig #1.
FIG#1
 -

There were over 40 coyotes on that fence. There were leg bones from years before, and up to day old kills on that fence. It was the stupidest thing I ever saw. Talk about ammo for anti’s but anyway. We called the rancher and asked him what the story on the coyotes that were on the fence was. He said.” They are from my brother in law. He feeds with me on weekends.” There were coyotes literally on every corner of the section and at the headquarters gate. Anyway that’s all we had so we stayed after it.
Saturday morning rolled around and the weather was terrible. We had rain, sleet, snow, and wind. We made a couple stands before we had a taker and shot her. It was raining so I would not say perfect conditions for that stand but it worked. A few stands later we were walking in on the ranch and walking right by a coyote that had been chipped from the road and left to rot the night before. She was still in wet blood and had a nice coat that was there to ruin. 100 yrds past the coyote we seen two coyotes bump out of the calving pasture so we redirected our stand a little north and started calling. A few minutes later and two different sounds we had a coyote down. That was number two. We called in high wind for the rest of the day for two more coyotes. We split second and missed heavy dog by a hair. It was a good day but the conditions were not perfect. The coyotes were shy and shot up but certain set ups and combinations worked. Here’s is some pictures from the weekend. It was definitely a learning experience. Sunday we only shot one but me and Randy Shaw got to see a Goerdie walk right by a coyote and watched its reaction. It laid down in the grass a disappeared and let him by. And this was right after a shot at another coyote less than a 150yrds away, simply amazing. I’m a believer in certain combinations working on any coyote if you get out there. Sometimes I catch myself using road hunters as an excuse to loosely. After this weekend I realize that. Yah they make it tough but some have to live with it. Some don’t. But its something very adaptable.
 -

Also I filmed this a week or so ago and thought some would enjoy. Fact is ,Goerdie knows this coboy and he shoots a lot. Coyote is really scared lookin huh?? Could he be a supposed transient that wondered in and didn’t know the cowboy? Maybe? But if he wondered in he came from the ranch next door and they shoot too. Road hunting is a factor that will give different results but not adaptable.
 -

[ January 29, 2007, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: stevecriner ]

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 07:17 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve: Great story and good pic's as well. Looks like you had a great time....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5065 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 08:37 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Sounds like yall did alright with 4 coyotes. What did it take to win 1st place?

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted January 29, 2007 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty cool, Steve.

Hanging those dogs is something that I see rarely, but it never seems to go away, entirely.

That's the nice thing about the annual campout. I have had the pleasure of meeting all three of these guys.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Good job guys.

I see the hangin on the fence thing quite a bit around here. Some wives tale about warding off coyotes off your property or some shit. I think its ignorance personally.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 02:51 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, It was a pleasure meeting you as well. Yes i wish the coyote on the fence thing would go away.

Kelley,Took 5 coyotes to win it.

Andy, Yes i do agree with you. It is some stupid shit i think. But its a good thing the wives tale aint true because there wouldnt of been any coyotes left in that ranch for sure.

And as always there were some mistakes made and clearly kept us from getting one more stand in. Lesson learned and ready next time. It was definatley a learning expieriance for us. The whole 4 days was eye opening.
steve.

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I would've made the drive to meet all of ya'll, just too tired and too far. Congrats anyway. It started out as perfect a day as you could ask for then made you have to work hard at just wanting to hunt.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
5 coyotes, thats more like it. Sounds like it was straight up this year.
Glad yall placed.

Tom - are they having one at Lindsey this year??
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 08:08 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Found out it was 2 weeks ago, day of major ice storm, low turnout and low kill.

There is one at Cairo this weekend, (north of Coalgate).
2nd annual Cairo Vol. fire dept calling contest
50% of proceeds will go to fire dept.
entry fees $20.00 per man up to 3 man team
for more info call 580-927-6711 or 918-617-3742

I was thinking on this one but wife has other plans for me.

RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 09:09 PM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to all. I was in contact with Geordie throught out the weekend. Sounds like ya'll had a good time.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 06:08 AM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Randy. Stay close to your phone im going to call ya here in afew days.

--------------------

Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 08:36 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good job fellers. Steve and Geordie look like they're just tickled to be alive, but Randy, you look ticked off. (Is that the "there he goes" look?) C'mon now...2nd place isn't all that bad.
Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 11:34 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Pilgrim, He's still raddled; I drove us home.LOL Steve and I are laughing because his legs are cramping from 'breaking' on the passenger side.
Seriously though, I would have liked to have won the hunt. We hunted an area with lots of pressure, and less than perfect weather conditions. This was new country to me and of course Steve and Randy. Our scouting paid off though. Unfortunatly we only called singles, and as we discussed we needed to call in and kill doubles to win. I am confident that had we called doubles we would have been able to take them. As Randy said, we made a few mistakes, but we realize them and learned from them. Next year will be different.
Leonard, It was a pleasure to meet you also. The campout was an assembly of good predator hunters and great people.
Maintain, Geordie

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
BigMo
Member # 1125

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 01:41 PM      Profile for BigMo   Email BigMo         Edit/Delete Post 
I hunted it again this year but like they say...
when you think you got it figured out....here comes the curve ball.

Congrats to you fellas on the win

Posts: 15 | From: Paris Texas | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2007 05:21 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris, good to hear from you. We came up short as well so we didn't make the drive to check in. Shoot me an e mail if you would, my computer crashed and I lost your address.
BigMo
Member # 1125

Icon 14 posted February 02, 2007 08:45 PM      Profile for BigMo   Email BigMo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom you have mail
Posts: 15 | From: Paris Texas | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters