The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What Coyote Gave You The Biggest Rush

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Coyote Gave You The Biggest Rush
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 5 posted March 14, 2007 12:01 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
The coyote that gave me my most exciting time was killed while quail hunting. I was walking through a draw with bunch grass 2'-3' tall which surrounded a spring with some heavy tree cover. I had left my dog at home and was just flushing quail by walking into them. I had shot two on the lower half of the draw and was following some runners that were heading to the trees. A coyote trotted out of the grass about 4 yards from me and I must of jumped about 3 feet in the air. I shot him quartering away with #8 low base at about 15 yards. This spun him around facing me and he got up and was coming straight in my direction. I don't know if he ever knew I was there when he originally got up, as his attention was towards the quail that were running and that was the direction he was moving when shot. The cheap low base shells were short cycling my Browning A5 and would jam the shell with the bolt back. I yanked the shell loose and shot the coyote at about 5 yards when he was just starting to peel off to my left. He dropped in that bunch grass completely hidden and breathing pretty ragged. I unjammed my shotgun again and crept in there to finish the job. I had some pretty good shakes from the ol' adrenaline. He quit breathing a few seconds later and I drug him out of there. This was also my heaviest coyote to date, and that was back in '95. He tipped the scales at 44 lbs.

I think my runner-up would be my first double which was called when hunting by myself.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
slydog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 07:24 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
To this day the coyote that stands out in my mind as the coyote that got my motor firing on doubble time was in fact the first coyote I ever shot at. it was the 18 of October 1969, one day after my 6th birthday. My Grandfather had bought me a new Remington Model 513 target for my birthday but was working on it, (putting peep sights and a plate to render it a single shot) so I was using his marlin semi auto,(11 shots without reloading) with a straight 4 power Weaver (K-4).
Gramps droped me off at the creek and told me to walk to the fence, (200 yards) then He said: sit where you can look up the fence toward the hill and wait till I drive up on the hill. He told me that the coyote would come down the fence line and that OL'man was right as rain. As soon as granps pulled up on the hill the coyote broke from cover and headed straight toward me at a dead run.

I pulled the lever back and turned it loose, pulled the gun up and started letting the lead fly. I fired all 11 shots and never touched a hair on that coyotes head. I could hear that Ol'man laugh all the way back to the road where he picked me up, still with a smirk on his face.

Two days later with my new 513 I sat at the same place and when the coyote came running down the trail beside the fence I pulled up and centered the front sight in the peep and pulled the trigger. That coyote spun around kiying and droped dead at 20 yards. I have been hooked ever since.
I guess this affliction is all my Grandfathers fault.........LOL

That was 37 years last October 18th and although I have had many coyotes give me the rush, thats the one that stands alone......

Kinda like a first kiss, you may get better but you never forget the first one........ [Big Grin]

sly

[ March 15, 2007, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: slydog ]

--------------------
Smote the Yote with a slydog custom call

Posts: 179 | From: SW Idaho | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 09:42 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
The first coyote I ever called gave me the biggest rush, when he charged closer than 18 inches of me as I hunkered with a bow. Such an adrenaline surge that it was painful.

My bowhunter father-in-law was teaching me to call coyotes. He picked a spot where we could hardly see anything, in dead grass higher than my waist in a grey winter dawn. The grass was flattened for about ten to 12 feet around where I sat in a scraggly bush. After 12 minutes or so I thought I heard a tiny sound to the side and slightly behind my right shoulder. I turned my head to look that way, with the bow and nocked arrow angled slightly to the left across my body.

My father-in-law had been calling with a Burnham Brothers cottontail call and after a pause, he nudged me to squeek with a squeeker I'd made from cedar wafers and cut down cellophane tape that fit inside my mouth. I squeeked once and the big coyote lunged out of the wall of grass at me from ten or 12 feet away.

He was charging with feet spread and body low to the ground, balanced to dart either way after escaping prey. About half way across the open his eyes widened in awareness and he tried to turn around. His feet slipped out from under him on the slick flattened straw grass and he slid toward me on his side with his legs churning frantically against nothing. As he slid within touching distance he rolled enough to get his feet under him and get some traction going the other direction.

I was jerking the bow and arrow loose from bush twigs and coming around with it, turning and drawing as I rose to a better shooting position half standing. I got an arrow after him as he accelerated through the 15-18 yard range and I didn't touch him.

I'd shot several yotes before and I've called and shot many since. Never such a rush.

[ March 15, 2007, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 05:04 AM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
It was also my first coyote .
I can remember the rush as she popped her head out of the brush at 190 yard and just immediately focused on my location and my screaming Johnny Stewart .
The best part, was at the time she popped out i just so happen to be down on my scope looking in her direction and only had to make a very small movement of the gun and squeeze it off. It was as if she appeared just at 9 Oclock of the reticule of my 6x18 .
It may have been many years ago but i also remember her laying in the bed of my truck with my rear mirror tilted down because i couldn't take my eye's of my first predator.

And being only 16 at the time,I also remember just how good the more experienced hunters in deer camp made me feel with there pat's on the back.
here in PA coyotes we not even on the menu in the late 70 for most hunters. but that one day guys came from all over to see my coyote.

so i would have to say that my first dog gave me my biggest rush

[ March 15, 2007, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 05:51 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

[ March 26, 2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 07:29 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs, I see you write often and mention coyote cross. I assume you mean cross with a dog, how can you tell and do you realize how improbable that is ? Sorry if this is off the subject.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
6mm284,

He's been told. He just likes the attention that his comments bring.

Cross coyote, Black coyote, Coydog. Just different names for the same thing.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 09:40 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

[ March 26, 2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 10:03 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The coyote that gave me the biggest rush was an old male that has been around the block a few times. I had to really work the howler to get him to come in and when he came in he was pissed. When he finaly came into view he was barking and howling and chomping at the mouth and scratching up dirt with his hind legs. His back was arched and tail tucked in tight and the hair on his neck stood straight up. Everytime i go out to the Dakotas to hunt this coyote always comes to mind..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 03:11 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
This one, cause it was the first one that followed Bean in and I got nervous and made a bad shot at 35 yards.
Took this picture and finished the coyote.

web page

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 04:09 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Not probable does not mean impossible however I have seen great genetic variations in color as has anyone else who has hunted alot.I have never attributed it to crosses anymore than I might attribute color differences in possums.Of the many many miles I have tracked coyotes in the snow I have never seen dog and coyotes tracks mixed in any kind of courting interaction thru the whole mating and breeding season or visually witnessed any interaction. Have you seen any of these behavoirs?.There are a number of physiological problems that make it unlikely in the wild although somewhat possibly in a more controlled setting. Maybe your coyotes are just hornier than mine, but then I am located about 150 miles from you., thanks
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 05:10 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

[ March 26, 2007, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 05:19 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 05:23 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the pic of this so called x coyote so its kinda tuff to picture what it looks like. Where i live the fur on a coyote can be in different lengths and varies from coyote to coyote. Depends on what they are eating, is my guess. Also the area that they live in can determine the fur quality and length, open plains, river bottoms , drainage ditches, and sloughs are a few examples..
Different color of fur i believe is a genetic's screw up, dew to low population and hunting pressure. A female coyote with some brown on its legs and shoulders gets breed and produces pups with simuler markings, sooner or later one of the pups gets breed by a coyote with same genetics as the father and the brown color takes over and becomes the domenit color.The coyote can have a darker brown color and by late winter it can fade to a lite brown or yellow color.
Most of the north western coyotes are silver and silky from liveing in more open country, with more wind and alot of sun..
Where i live we have a very large color variation in the coyotes, no dogs just bad genetics. ( These are just my veiws on this subject, i have no written proof, just my observations is all).. [Razz]

P.S. i don't want to rattle anyones chains but tracks in the snow can be decieveing. We tracked some coyotes leaveing some really big tracks and thought that either this coyote was in the 40-45 pound class or just a farm dog. It turned out it was just a normal male coyote weighing in at 37 pounds. When the sun hits the tracks or a lite breeze is blowing it can inlarge the tracks some. The size can also change if the coyote is running rather than walking, when running there feet will webb-out according to how hard the snow is or how soft... [Razz]

[ March 18, 2007, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 07:48 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
I think snow and weather conditions are always involved in reading a track before you ever take a look at it. tracks webbed out by speed or conditions are obvious and are not necessarily an indicator of coyote size.when tracks have been"enlarged" it is because their crispness has slipped. Looking at the snow a little ways out from the print will give that away.Sure can make it interesting sometimes. often requiring backing up and taking another look at things.Glad to hear someone else tracks them. thanks
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 08:28 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 08:32 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the track of the coyote, the large Brown one is paired with.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/478981.jpg

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 09:12 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs,try to explain this one.I called a coyote up,roughly 15 minuites before this bobcat showed up.Look closely at the color.

-

I think variations in color can happen in all animals.Here in Pa. I haven't seen any two coyotes that were exactly the same. The reason for poor fur prices. Most of the coyotes here,over 2-3 years old will go over 35lbs. Males at over 3-4 years old,will go up to a whopping 40-50lbs.and more.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 09:26 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

[ March 26, 2007, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 09:41 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a picture of one with a dark belly.The belly is darker than the back on most western coyotes.I will have to transfer the picture from my camera to photo bucket,i will try to remember and post it tomorrow.I'm not one that likes to show off pictures.
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 10:20 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
This picture isn't as clear as i would have liked,but you can see how dark the body and head is.Some would swear this was part dog,but i know its all eastern coyote.
 -

By the way,this is my hunting and shooting partner.

[ March 18, 2007, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2007 01:18 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This one, cause it was the first one that followed Bean in and I got nervous and made a bad shot at 35 yards.
Took this picture and finished the coyote.

That would have made me nervous as well. Of course, now that I have followed Beans heroics over at TPP I guess the coyotes are the ones that should be nervous.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 03:44 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 

[ March 26, 2007, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters