The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Hunting during the middle of the day.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hunting during the middle of the day.
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 5 posted March 14, 2007 12:05 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a lot of success when going out between 10:30 and 1:30 to make a couple of stands. I have also had success doing the same thing when turkey hunting (the toms aren't henned up by midday), and deer hunting (they tend to get up and browse midday). Do you believe the coyotes like to get out and stretch their legs around the noon hour, or is it more of a "they were just in the area when I was callin" situation?

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 12:59 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
tlbradford,
I have always had my best luck during early morning and late evenings, but that could well be because that is when most of my calling has been done. On some of my texas hunts, I have indeed called my share of coyotes at or about high noon. Coyote density was high down in texas though, so probably didn't make much difference when they heard the call. Willing ears were everywhere out there. "Coyote Hunter's Heaven" is what it was.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 01:19 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that it is well worth the trouble to call throughout the day. But if I had to take abreak it would be between the hours of 1:00 to 3:00.

The only time that I have killed 5 on one stand was on a stand that was started at 11:00

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2007 05:43 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
tlbradford, do you remember if it was a full moon on these days. I tend to get more mid day activity during a full moon.

My thoughts are that they tend to bed earlier possibly waking up hungry? Or just calling to rested up and ready to move coyotes vs don't bother me I'm tired ones.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2007 06:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I spend my mournings driveing and looking for coyotes or sign. and start doing my calling from 10:00 on till dark.Most of the coyotes i call in are between 10:00 and 2:00 and then it picks up again before dark. I have done some early mourning calling and it works as well also...So i would say if you got the time just call all day...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 01:34 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that I get a lot of afternoon...12 p.m.-4 p.m. responses in March.

Oct.- Feb. it is on the fringes of sunrise/ sunset or a couple hours after dark.

IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 02:29 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
"So i would say if you got the time just call all day"

Pretty much my philosphy, or maybe "call whenever I have the time."

Randy, I would need to review my log to see about the moon phases, but I want to answer yes it was around a full moon. I say this because on several of these days, I bird hunted in the morning because I had the same thoughts as you did in regards to the full moon. Then I got bored mid day and headed out to try my luck.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Knows what it's all about
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 04:41 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, in central Iowa. Most coyotes are bedded down from pre-Sunrise until around 10-11am. A few are actively on the move after 11am. Very few.

Most become active again an hr or two before Sunset.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2007 06:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, 2dogs. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31468 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 05:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm looking to fill the streachers I have no problem hunting 'can to can't'. I just assume that early & late I'm calling to coyotes that are up & moving and mid-day stands are toward bedded targets. Depending of course on local weather conditions, phase of the moon, and Mother Nature's menstrual cycle.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters