The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Interrogation vs. Integration (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Interrogation vs. Integration
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
What's in a name of a howl. How many guys say one or the other, or are both correct? I think a "pro" is confused,(maybe a mis-print), BUT I'm still in 1st grade on the "names" that designate different howls. SO is there a howl that is called the Integration?

Also, while I am it, do you think it is probable or even possible to call a coyote from 3 miles away? How about 2 miles away?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 07:34 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Integration? Could it be what I have heard referred to by Rich H as the assembly howl? Different name? I've never heard of it.
2-3 miles is one hell of a ways to get the sound out there. I can hear the road traffic from that far off but a call going that far and getting a response, no less? Hell's no!

IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 07:37 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I read that as well. I thought perhaps, from the text, he was integrating barks with howls, it never occurred to me that he actually meant interrogation howls. That would put a different spin to the whole article. Maybe you are right.
Scott Huber related a story about an aquaintance that howled a pair in from 6 miles away. Back tracked them in the snow.

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 07:51 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
He used "integration" several times and I guess I assumed it to be a misprint, BUT I wouldn't know!

Ya suppose those coyotes just happen to be traveling towards the stand before Scott started calling, or did he assume they started toward his stand only after he started calling?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2007 09:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't hurt to give a brief explain, I don't know what you fellers are talking about? I suspect there are others that have not read this article. Who wrote it and where does it appear?

Scott told the story before, where they backtracked to where the animals were headed in one direction and turned abruptly, and came straight to the call. Who would bother doing that for six miles, in the snow, is beyond me, but my hat is off to him? Probably airplane?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 07:52 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
NO NO NO!

Don't Sly what I have stated!

Slim Pedersen, formerly of Ekalaka Montana, was once observing a pair of coyotes feeding on a carcass, he said he watched them tip their heads back and howl. I believe he was just watching their behavior at a carcass which is quite interesting to observe. He said a while later another pair of coyotes showed up. He said he backtracked them to where they had heard the howl. If memory serves me right, I believe it was further than 6 miles. I'd have to ask him to confirm.

Was it circumstantial? Who knows!

False conclusions? Can't say!

Why would he backtrack a pair that far to see where they came from? Excellent question Leonard! I wouldn't either.

I guess I'd like to believe that those coyotes relayed that they were feeding on a carcass to pull another pair that far but in a sparsely populated area during the dead of winter and during the mating season, simple companionship could bring them together.

I think what's more important than anything else to learn from this observation is how far coyotes can hear eachother under certain conditions.

~SH~

[ March 23, 2007, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 08:42 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
TR - I watched Bowmania last night......hitting coyotes on the move with a Bow....that was strong.
Good job.
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 09:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: "NO NO NO"

Okay, Scott. That's a little harsh, you think I "Sly'd" you? What I said fits your explanation, even though it is a bit misleading. Read on~

quote:
Scott told the story before, where they backtracked to where the animals were headed in one direction and turned abruptly, and came straight to the call. Who would bother doing that for six miles, in the snow, is beyond me, but my hat is off to him? Probably airplane?

You just can't pick up a hurt pup without him snapping at ya.....

Good hunting. LB

[ March 23, 2007, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 09:44 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the misunderstanding Leonard, I was referring mostly to Righ Higgins statement.

Rich Higgins: "Scott Huber related a story about an aquaintance that howled a pair in from 6 miles away. Back tracked them in the snow."

The aquaintance did not do the howling. The coyotes on the carcass did.

Your statement.....

Leonard: "Scott told the story before, where they backtracked to where the animals were headed in one direction and turned abruptly, and came straight to the call."

TO THE CALL sounds like someone called them in from 6 miles away.

Once again, just trying to keep things accurate.

Don't go postal on me. LOL! One Sly is enough.

~SH~

[ March 23, 2007, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 10:55 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the article is in the latest Pred. X mag. written by Bob Severe. Several times in this one article he uses "interagation" call.

For example, in discribing what he calls "let's get together" call I quote, "By putting some friendly barks and howls together you can make one of the mnost useful sounds to the predator caller - the integration howl."

He goes on through this article discribing several howls with discrptions such as the "You're in Deep Trouble Now" howl and the "Get Lost of Get Whopped" howl and the "Wanna Get Lucky" howl etc. and in several places he uses integration and no where does he use interrogation, and I see no where that he mentions the dreaded "estrous chirp"! [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

To call a coyote from even 3 miles seems like a stretch to me, BUT only sitting for 15 minutes on the norm. probably would have something to do with that! I beleive a coyote could hear a howler from that far anyways, but for it to come that far to investigate, I wouldn't bet the farm on it!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 11:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"For example, in discribing what he calls "let's get together" call I quote, "By putting some friendly barks and howls together you can make one of the mnost useful sounds to the predator caller - the integration howl."
"You're in Deep Trouble Now" howl and the "Get Lost of Get Whopped" howl and the "Wanna Get Lucky" howl etc. and in several places he uses integration and no where does he use interrogation"(?)

Well, I don't know the guy, so will give him the benefit of the doubt. But I don't think those colorful descriptive labels can be supported by fact?

Did he use the term, "yote" in the article? Just wondering?

Good hunting. LB

edit: PS are the typos yours, or are they in the magazine?

[ March 23, 2007, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of skipped through that article. The poor author knows more about writing articles than he does about coyote language. I see he likes to push Knight and Hale calls. Knight & Hale. They are TURKEY hunters mostly ain't they?. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I just love this forum. I read that article last night and was just waiting to see how long before these colorful descriptions would be brought up here.As a newcomer to predator hunting/calling
I feel I get better info here than other places.
a lot less sifting through the bullshit to find the ice cream.
Thanks guys!
Paul

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 02:06 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my point Leonard, are they typos or is there an "integration" howl?

Another quote, "The integration howl goes like this: two long friendly howls, a friendly bark, a short pause, then a short friendly howl followed by a long friendly howl."

on edit: Kelly I'm glad you enjoyed the video. Notice that the moving coyotes that I shot were either coming straight at me or going straight away, makes it a little easier to hit them! [Big Grin]

[ March 23, 2007, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 02:11 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I had to laugh at some of those discriptions in his article as well.It's kind of funny how once you hear someone reference a coyotes vocalizations like that,you really don't read it as seriously.lol Good Hunting Chad
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Utah: "It's kind of funny how once you hear someone reference a coyotes vocalizations like that,you really don't read it as seriously."

Or when someone refers to coyotes as "dogs" considering the obvious confusion it leads to with those who work with dogs and coyotes.

~SH~

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 03:30 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I don't think those colorful descriptive labels can be supported by fact?
That`s exactly what I thought Leonard, unfortunately there are hoards of new hunters that will be so ****** up with their howling after reading that jibberish that they`ll never call a coyote with a howler.

[ March 23, 2007, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: JD ]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Wolves can hear howls for miles, why not coyotes. I've stalked enough coyotes. Not to underestimate their hearing ability. Even in a hard wind.

A cross or quartering wind is better for stalking coyotes. Better, than from down wind if given a choice.

Don't believe it. Try stalking in on one, on loud ground cover.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read the article yet, magazine just came today. I didn't subscribe, so I'm assuming its from the list at the campout that I added my name and address to. The reason I assume that is that they spelled my name correctly LOL. Thanks to whomever.
Scott, I got to talk to Slim Pederson at the NTA convention this year. The fact that he tracked those coyotes as far as he did doesnt suprise me. We talked about cat trapping and cat behaviour, and my assumption is that he's followed his fair share of cat tracks also. Just wished I had had more time to talk to him without alot of other people interrupting. Maintain,Geordie

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,i thought the very same thing when i read it.
This one really stuck out.
*Change the barks and howls to get the sound'YOU'are comfertable with.* What about the coyote?

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,

Coyotes don't buy magazines. They don't have thumbs and can't turn the pages. It's the readers that the Editors try to appease.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 03:05 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly!!! Coyotes don`t buy stuff, people do, what else really matters to editors or the writers?

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2007 07:53 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I read the article the other day when mine came to the box. Along with the secretive and exciting "integration howl" he also introduced me to the "Female Invitational" howl. Is there some kind of derby involved with this howl?
I like the idea of an Invitational howl it sounds so competitive.
Female invitation is misleading and inaccurate, anyway. Right, WileyE! Males and females will respond. Are you trying to sound female? Or attract females? Come on and name it correctly w/ out misleading the calling public. 96.2% of the time it's impossible to determine the sex of a howling coyote. Unless they are Alpha's and you are Sly! Did they respond because they were invited or because they wanted companionship or just horny and young? Right, WileyE! Right!

I know the answers to these questions and more. Call my 900 number and find out for only $6.95/ min.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 07:20 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
96.2%?
I think the correct percentage is 96.3. Right, WileE! Right?

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Smithers,

Did you understand the point you were trying to make?

~SH~

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters