The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Long range coyotes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Long range coyotes
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 04:25 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
When does a shot become long range? At what distance does the shot become risky?

I have heard some think that 300 yards is risky. I find that idea ridiculous. I know that a standing coyote at 300 yards is is pretty serious trouble.

I know another fellow who considers 400 yards routine.

What is your limit? What do you take into consideration?

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, 300 yards is long range. Primarily because I seldom have shot opportunities at that range, usually most shots are with-in 100 yards. So, for me, beyond 300 becomes risky because 1) I seldom shoot at that range and 2)I begin having problems of distance estimation beyond 300 yards.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 04:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
At night, and well marked, anything beyond 400 is, well, you need to be careful. It being a long walk, and you are burning hunting time. It's not a chip shot, and I seldom risk anything beyond 500, so for my personal yardstick; between 400-500 yards is long range.

Good hunting. LB
(it's in the mail, Albert)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31485 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 05:12 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The country side is pretty much wide open here, so i take what ever shot comes along. ( under 800 yds)You don't know if you can hit them if you don't try. [Big Grin]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 05:30 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
First liar don`t stand a chance. [Big Grin]

Anything over 1500 yds is certainly long range for me.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 06:32 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
JD,

Now you know why JH doesn't start many threads on his own board.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 07:55 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im with JD....once they get on the other side of a thousand yards, Im just not as confident as I'd like to be. Add a wind above 30mph,and even at 600 or 700 yards, Im sometimes afraid I might throw one wide of the mark:) you guys are a hoot.
Posts: 1631 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 04:31 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I normally dont shoot unless I can see them. Most shots are under 100 yards, but I have seen coyotes as far as a mile. Very few coyotes that I havent seen have I shot at. Even though, as I understand it as I havent seen for myself, there is a certain film maker and call maker that doesnt even have to see them to kill them. [Razz]

And TA is right, if you dont shoot, you cant hit them. Nothing wrong with launching a 3/4 mile 17 cal bullet at one. If you hit him, it will most likely kill him, eventually, maybe. At least he "wont be runnin around here" anymore and ate his last pheasant. [Razz]

[ May 11, 2007, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 05:27 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
For me anything over 250 yards is a long shot.

I hope to stretch that limit as I picked up a Leica rangefinder and a couple of scopes with target turrets. I don't know how useful long range skills will be around here but I'm gonna try to aquire them.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
500-600 yrds is my max, you add even a 10mph crosswind and well you need to practice to make these shots on a regular basis. A few years back I would have thought that 500 yrds was to far, but adding target turrets, a good range finder is a must and practice,practice will make us all better longer range shooters. The new reticles also help with estimation, as years ago thats what "most" guys relied on, a good wild ass guess to range and adjust for windage. The new technology and lower cost of equipment has surely helped.

It used to be most archers never thought of going past 35yrds, now with todays bows, range finders and elaborate sighting systems etc, people kill deer at 50-60 yrds and a few even further, practice makes one better no matter what you shoot.

I have really aided my shooting by taking jack rabbits and letting them get out to that 300-500 yrd range before pulling the trigger and shooting at that range way more than I used to years ago.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 07:16 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus Christ!! I got a target out the north end of my house thats a bit over 600yrds. Its a 4x8 sheet of plywood. And it looks small, even thouugh a scope Thats a poke.

You guys seriously, under hunting conditions, shoot at coyotes that far? Sittin on the ground with bypods or shootin sticks? No time for markers or rangefinders or spotters? You guys take those shots? I was bullshittin. Ive seen deer there many times and they were tiny.

Im either hangin with a crowd thats way out of my league or I need taller boots.

--------------------
Andy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I say 500? Sorry, I meant 5000, or a little further, if I can get them to check up.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 09:03 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No prob. Tim. An accurate rifle in cool hands does some impressive things. But targets ain't fur, ya know?

Good hunting. LB

edit: if I was busted shooting down a road like that, it would be expensive.

edit: what is that, like a 14" group?

[ May 11, 2007, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 09:09 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are "sitting" a three hundred yard shot can be difficult. Prone is much superior. It is surprising how much time a coyote will give you when it'a that far out. knowing the distance is critical.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 09:24 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard; Its legal here to shoot from the road, the road in pic. is a dead-end road. The width of coyote target is 13" and the group measured 4 1/4" includeing the two siter shots. ( hit in ear and foreleg are siters) [Razz]

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 10:28 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy in the wide open western plains, 300-500 yrd shots are somewhat of the norm depedning on many factors, the coyotes in question are ones that hang up and will be the butt sitters, ones that can't decide to come closer or won't because they see something or won't come any closer, some will give you plenty of time to range find, dial your target knob and make the shot. If you have your cheat sheet on the inside of your scope cover, range finder laying beside you, it can all be done in under 45 seconds with little movement.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 10:48 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker,

I've been considering trying some kind of elevation turret for those 400 yard plus butt sitters. Any suggestions? I use a 3.5x10x40 Leupold for my calling scope and I know the Leupold custom shop does the installation.

I know Tim Behle posted about some long range coyote killing he did several years ago, but I can't remember what he used for optics.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 10:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the group measured 4 1/4" includeing the two siter shots
Is that a typo? Do you mean 14¼"? including "sighters"

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 11:13 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
stoney point turrets on my leupold 3.5x10 is what I use, they are 20.00 bucks each, are simple and easy to use. Sight in dead on at 200 then you can go every 50 or 100 yrds shoot your groups and record your markings on paper, I then have that taped to my butler creek scope cover when it flips open the eye end, the numbers and yards are all there to see.

Example 200- dead on
300-1.2
350- 1.9
400- 3
450- 4.1
500- 5.7
550- 6

Just dial it up and you should be on your marks for elevation.

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 11:14 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what it looked like to me LB.
lol

Shootin fur is different. I bet that wasnt in any type huntin situation and still there was an ear notch and a broke leg.

Not to mention for a 17 shootin fur man, two splashes with some major sewing to do....

All this on a target. With known range and wind. And no doubt a good rest. And you feel proficient to shoot a live coyote at that range?

[ May 11, 2007, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 11:18 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, on this subject, wheres Dan Carey, the best shot and gunsmith on this board? How about that?
[Razz]

--------------------
Andy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is.....shooting at 500 yards, you have to include the sighters. So if the first shot was an ear, that's all you are going to get.

Along the same lines, if the first shot was the front leg, chances are, that's all you are going to get. I can't chase down a coyote across the badlands, with no roads and no snowcover for tracking...they are gone forever. I am not into crippling a coyote that I cannot recover.

In my neighborhood, I only get one shot at a 500 yard coyote and it had better smack him dead center on the first guess, since my coyotes do not allow the luxury of rangefinders and sighters.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 11:41 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard and Andy: The target is not a life size coyote. The target sheet measures 16" wide by 10" high. the group measures 4 1/4" and was shot with my 22-250 ackley. If the target was the actual life size of a coyote he would of been put down by any of the 7 shots fired. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 11:50 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the shooting situation? Were you sitting cross legged with your elbow on your knees, off a bipod or shootin sticks? Or were you leaning against a tree or post using your elbows, bipod or sticks?

Or was there a bag involved somehow?

Either way, kudos, good shootin. But your not gonna convince me that you are consistantly IN HUNTING SITUATIONS going to shoot good enough to make that a safe shot, especially with a 17 cal. (even though you said this was a 22 cal) Not gonna happen.

Now maybe with a 25-06AI with a 100gr bullet, a cripple might be slowed enough to kill.

Oh, hell, I forgot, you could have been using the truck mirror. You dont call much, you do the drive/road huntin thing. Sorry bout that. That does help some.

--------------------
Andy

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters