The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Varmint Hunter's Chirp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Varmint Hunter's Chirp
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the version of the Chirp that Ronnie sent to me.

Click here to listen to Ronnie's Chirp

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that sound Ronnie, and a big thank you to Tim for posting same.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 12:51 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting and sharing fellas, fairly elementary in making of the sound,exclusive use would be the key.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 07:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Ronnie. That does sound like a 49 pound bird. [Smile]
IP: Logged
newbomb
Knows what it's all about
Member # 888

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for newbomb   Email newbomb         Edit/Delete Post 
I can never get those putfile links to open I always get an error message.
Posts: 66 | From: southern indiana | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2007 06:30 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
newbomb. I am going to send it to you as a attachment. Hope that will work.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
newbomb
Member # 888

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for newbomb   Email newbomb         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks I got it!
Posts: 66 | From: southern indiana | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2007 09:43 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Lance's article in the Winter edition of Predator Hunting and thought some that had not seen or heard this, seeing as this was posted in May, would be interested.
Hearing the sound from the MAN himself will give those w/out a clue as how to make the sound a leg up.
Not a cure all but another weapon in the arsenal. Great article Lance! The story behind the development of the call and use of the sound, backed by some pretty credible characters, is excellent.

[ December 25, 2007, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2007 11:07 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, smithers. It was a joy to once again work with such credible sources. I'm eager top see how it works for others who read the piece and use it in the field..

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 01:44 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got finished reading the Article myself.Very Entertaining read.How Credible still remains to be seen.But informative none the less.No doubt it will be the new craze for callers this breeding season. [Razz] Who knows it might just change the calling world forever.lol

I thought the best statement in the article was one of the last ones.

"If a sound works consistently enough that you can anticipate a coyotes specific response,it doesn't really matter why it works."

Very well said...

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"If a sound works consistently enough that you can anticipate a coyotes specific response,it doesn't really matter why it works."

Very well said...

Yes, very well said and a sentiment voiced here, on Huntmasters for quite some time.

In general, I can't agree with a lot of supposition about how a coyote thinks, and WHY he does what he does, at any given moment.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 02:44 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard turkey hunters say that a coyote came to their hen turkey yelps. Now did the coyote come because it heard a hen turkey, or was it because he thought it was a breeding chirp? Maybe the coyote came out of simple curiosity, or maybe the coyote simply heard something to chase?

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 04:38 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In general, I can't agree with a lot of supposition about how a coyote thinks, and WHY he does what he does, at any given moment.

I agree with that statement, Leonard. No one here can predict with any certainty what a coyote will do, or what its thinking. But, over time, when you see a coyote respond the same way, time and again, to a certain sound, I don't see the problem with saying that sound "X" triggers that response. I don't really care why the response is as it is. The coyote's motives or inspirations are of no concern to me. Outcome is my concern, and if I make sound "X", and the coyote does action "Y" resulting in me getting a shot at it, that's good enough for me. Snapshots in time and getting all lost in verbage and nomenclature are, to me, a waste of time and energy.

Chad, thanks. Paul could have edited anything and everything else out of that piece before publication, but removing that one sentence would have been a deal breaker. That one was in there for good reason.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2007 07:33 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have heard turkey hunters say that a coyote came to their hen turkey yelps. Now did the coyote come because it heard a hen turkey, or was it because he thought it was a breeding chirp? Maybe the coyote came out of simple curiosity, or maybe the coyote simply heard something to chase?

I usually shoot two or three coyotes a year while out turkey hunting. Everytime I have been able to observe them from a distance they are stalking. The multiples that have come in on a single stand actually split up and come in from different directions. The first time I observed this it through me for a loop. They have definately adapted to learning how to hunt a wary turkey in the few short years they have been in this area.

Another time I ran into 4 coyotes that were working there way to a hot gobbler, just like I was doing.

IMO they are hunting and not mistaking it for a chirp.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 05:03 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
I cant hear the sound at that site, can someone send it to me please.
??
Carl "bofire1@comcast.net

[ January 06, 2008, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Bofire ]

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
I cant get it to play either. Could you send it to me also. Thanks.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted January 06, 2008 12:26 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ronnie I got it!!
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
bajabug
Member # 919

Icon 7 posted January 07, 2008 01:32 AM      Profile for bajabug   Email bajabug         Edit/Delete Post 
V. Hunter,
Would you please send the "sound" to me also?

Posts: 34 | From: Pico Rivera, Ca. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters