The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Calling from the truck (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Calling from the truck
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Danny's post about calling and killing nine coyotes while calling from topper of his truck. I would like to know how well this would work in daytime. Sitting in back of my truck with camo netting draped over said truck sounds interesting to this old fart. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 07:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have done it many times, Rich. Works everywhere but Kansas, near as I can tell?

Seriously, there is nothing new under the sun. You know all that advice about setting up crosswind and putting your caller out in front of you, so that they focus on the sound and not you sitting under a bush? It works the same way. A coyote will run toward the machine and ignore the vehicle. I have killed hundreds of coyotes in broad daylight, making stands from the truck. Doesn't always work, but then again, what does?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 08:21 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Thanks for the information. I have thought about this every now and then, but never did anything about trying it. My idea is to simply get a large chunk of camo netting from army surplus. Enough netting to cover the whole truck. I could build myself a portable high chair to place in bed of my truck. Just high enough to allow shooting over the cab when coyote comes from that direction. There are a few pastures around here that I can drive to my calling spots. I know several places in nebraska that would allow driving to the stand also.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, if you decide to try it. I have one of those Army leafy camo net jobs that fits over the truck, but it's mostly not needed. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

J_hun
Knows what it's all about
Member # 872

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 05:16 PM      Profile for J_hun   Author's Homepage   Email J_hun         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I think the coyotes in S.D. must be smarter. Coyotes seem to go the other way when they spot a vehicle. I find it quite interesting. I guess it works for you so that's all that matters. Last year I sat in my pickup and howled. Four coyotes came over the ridge about 500yds. and did a quick turn around and outa here. I've never hunted in Kansas , so I suppose anything is possible. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 141 | From: Pierre,S.D. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 06:40 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Jerry hunts some of the same areas as me i won't give the exact details but calling from the truck or near by it has worked for me on several occasions. I do it mostly when the wind has picked up or when checking out some new areas. the main thing is be ready with gun when they show up, some will stick around for a bit and some will take off at first site of truck. The only camo i use for this is have a hill on back side of truck and some tall grass or fence on calling side..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 05:28 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
J_hun,
You make a very good point. I am wondering if camo netting over the truck would eliminate that problem? I'm thinking that calling from ridge tops would still be a bad idea though.

--------------------

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 05:44 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that you can compare Leonard's or Danny's truck to you average pickup. It's tough to find any chrome or shiny paint on them.

They don't need camo because they are camo. I suspect that a coyote would have a hard time reconizing it as a truck.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 06:44 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
If I figured out something on my own and then come to find out guys have been doing it for thirty years before me do I still get credit for inventing it?
I have been killing coyotes out the window of the pickup for years. Thought it was my secret.
Works best when the driver is a lefty and passenger a righty.
Use this method for problem dogs running rural areas. They are used to vehicles and people and could care less in most cases about your truck.
Speaker under the hood or just blow out the window. No camo nets or spray paint.
Doesn't work very well further out in the woods.

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 08:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Furhvstr; Is this in the daytime??
and.... how close do the coyotes come in to the truck??

I've wondered about laying up on the shell with the caller on the cab but never had the nerve to try it.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 08:52 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes daytime.
Remember I am using this technique in populated areas where the coyotes are accustomed to cars. They don't run up to the bumper but who can't make a 175 yarder of the mirror?
Stumbled onto this during a contest years ago.
Three man team and had dropped two guys off at a spot where we couldn't hide the truck and I went down the road a couple miles to wait for them to make their stand. Sitting in the cab I blew out the window and picked up a bonus dog.
Had a good friend with poor health who has since past on who used to park on the side of the road and barely get off the shoulder to call. Called plenty in close enough for a rifle shot.
Not saying it's guaranteed but it is another tool to use in certain situations.
I relate it to how a deer is much more afraid of a person on foot than in a car.

[ June 13, 2007, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok & thanx!!

I'm thinking that this just might be an improvement over trying to get far away from a truck that can't be hidden. Instead of spending a lot of time hiking, just pull over; call & head for the next spot.

I did talk to a fence rider once who swore he called coyotes up to lever gun range from up on his horse. There was a bottle of Black Velvet involved in the conversation though, so I never gave the concept much consideration.

Always something new to try!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, my truck looks like a stock 2003 4x4 Dodge gas eater with a funny looking camper shell on it. No camo at all, it's a silver truck with a black shell.
Rich, you'd love hunting out of my truck. During the day I just put the FoxPro out 50/75 yards in the sagebrush and go back and get in my camper shell. Then I just sit down and what for a coyote to respond as I'm having a cup of coffee. At night, I just call em right from the truck. This is a great way for older guys to hunt. They should make it a law in every state that makes it legal.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
onecoyote,
I do believe that you are correct. I most certainly WOULD enjoy calling from your truck. Maybe, just maybe I will get the chance to do just that someday soon. My truck is a 2003 Dodge and it is silver in color, but has no topper. Do you have a hole in top of your black topper where you stick your head out when calling, or do you simply sit on the tail gate? Gosh, I might be able to find a cheap topper for my truck if I really need it. [Wink]

--------------------

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 10:11 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 40"x40" hole in the top of the shell, with a bucket to sit on inside. I also have a shooting rest all the way around the top. If you miss it's not the rifles falt.
You got to remember it is legal to shoot coyotes from your truck in this state, so I took full advantage of it.
When I feel good enough or want something else to do, I make brush stands the old way. Not as productive but it's fun too.
Rich, we just put the motel on the market, don't know how long I'm going to be here. Could be two or three months or two years.
Don't know where we are going either, but we are going. I like Nevada, she likes South Dakota, Wyoming, maybe southeastern Idaho. Well see who wins. One thing for sure, it well be in coyote country.
You or any of the other guys want to come out and do some hunting, no problem as long as I'm hear.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two ways to go, either have your hunting rig all tricked out, or as Danny is doing, make it look (to a casual observer) completely normal. But, when you know how to set up a California hunting rig, whether it looks like one or not, it works way better than something like a Texas rig. Those things are cold, number one, and trees and brush would prevent you getting down a lot of roads. They do haqve an advantage for visibility, get up a little higher, but that advantage is most important in heavy cover, not wide open Texas badlands.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 05:40 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I got rid of anything on my truck that draws attention. No corded lights, no platforms or shooting rails just a crate in the back with my lights in it and a rifle and scatter gun in the cab. With all the rules here in Cali. it's pretty tough to stay in between the lines when night hunting. By not having the truck all tricked out I can take some attention of myself.
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 07:29 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
furhvstr, people that do really good at something usually have an edge [Wink] One good thing about NM is they don't have a clue what my truck is, and it's legal to shoot coyotes from it. [Smile]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 6 posted June 15, 2007 08:10 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
onecoyote,
I called the Iowa DNR yesterday. They told me that as long as I was on private property and using my truck for a stationary blind, I would be legal in shooting coyotes from it. Now all I need to do is figure out how I want to set it up. [Cool]

--------------------

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 09:13 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, that's good news. Don't go crazy, take a look at a few pictures of some varmint rigs. I'll try and be nice to my wife so she'll post some pics for you, maybe Leonard can post a few too. That way you can get some ideas.

[ June 15, 2007, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
Edited out.

[ November 04, 2007, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 01:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, hate to admit it, but I also have a bunker mentality, or at least I used to. Now, I am backsliding occasionally. But, make no mistake, the liberal mindset, is alive and well in the bureaucracy, on every level. They will beat you into submission, everybody will conform, or else.

Unless (of course) you are an illegal with imaginary rights granted by their Constitution and their Bill of Rights, under the flag of Mexico.

edit: or (beg your forgiveness!) a terrorist! Oh yes, the ACLU is working day and night to protect their freedoms under the Constitution of the United States!

Come again?

[ June 19, 2007, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 05:11 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
What did I miss?
Rusty Holt
Member # 350

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 08:48 AM      Profile for Rusty Holt           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard.....look in the background and show me a tree that will get in my way! Then, look at the coyotes laying in front of me and tell me it doesn't work. [Wink]
 -

It's simply a matter of doing what works for you, and there's no set system that will work for everyone. You're rig wouldn't allow you to shine your light above the mesquite and cedar cover in many parts of the country I hunt, but I'm sure it works perfect where you are at. Likewise, I probably couldn't stay seated in my chair for 5 seconds riding along the rough roads you travel, and I'm sure trees might be an issue to.....but fortunately neither of us are trying to use our respective hunting styles in terrain that doesn't fit our hunting rigs.

Regarding the cold......if my priority was to stay warm I'd be at home sitting by the fire. Instead, I wear coveralls when needed and I've lasted until daylight several times with the temps in the teens. I know you also have wondered how we stay seated in those chairs when driving along rough roads. They key is that these oilfields out here have some of the smoothest, most well maintained roads you've ever seen. I've seen highways in New Mexico rougher than the ranch roads I hunt from here. The chair will also work our here during daylight hours. I just tend to hunt nights more due to my work schedule, family, etc.

I'd love to hunt from your set-up out in your country, and I'm sure you'd have a blast hunting from my set-up in my country.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Posts: 14 | From: Midland, Texas | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 01:46 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Now that was an intelligent and diplomatic rebuttal. Well done Mr. Holt.
I counted 21 coyotes in front of you. Was that one nights hunt? It's hard to argue with success. [Smile]

IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters