The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » First Liar (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: First Liar
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 07:11 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
New to the board, hope this is not taboo.
Whats the most coyotes you have ever called in one outing?
From sun up till 2:00 pm I once called 21 and took only 6. Multiples by yourself can sometimes be tough.
Last year one day I called 14 by noon and took 8.
24 in a weekend once at a Nv. contest.

[ June 13, 2007, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 07:15 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is it not taboo, it used to be part of belonging here. [Smile]

Krusty  -

P.S. The most I ever called in a day was two (a pair), and we never found the one that got shot at.

[ June 13, 2007, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to get a true picture when you are counting animals seen. That's why I scratch my head in the contests where they want to know how many you saw and then how many you killed and figure out a percentage.

I have no use for that. Sometimes a steady one or two per hour is a lot better than being overrun by a pack and flinging lead all over the place. Plenty of times I have seen fifty animals in a night, but things happen, and sometimes they don't happen.

I really don't care about how many animals I have called, I just care about how many of them I kill.

Now when you say 24 animals in a weekend, I'd say that's quite a few, for Nevada. I don't think I ever got more than 22 a couple times, but anything in the high teens is a good weekend. Of course, with the travel involved from southern California, we can't hunt northern Nevada all weekend and make it back to check in. Actual hunting time is usually no more than 30 hours, mostly less. All depends on how far up we get. Lovelock is generally a nine hour drive from here.

So, I would have to break it down into segments. I have killed twelve coyotes in a day a few times and sventeen or eighteen on a long winter night, but it's hard to put it together, back to back. Sometimes they are running good all night and quiet during the day, and sometimes it's reversed? Also,that would be under idea conditions, high pressure, new moon, during your best hunting months. Other times, I might see six and kill every one. But when they are running real good, multiples, you just cannot handle them the same. Sometimes it can be spotty, nothing before midnight and then you kill ten coyotes before daylight. I like to be ready to hunt exactly when it stops snowing, it's like a school bus picking up kids in the morning, they seem to be waiting for ya. Yeah, that's the best there is.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 05:45 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
LB I get what your'e saying i just don't think it's a tough question. You call and see ten coyotes, count to ten, fingers and toes if you have to and then say, "I called in ten"
If it's a night run and you get eyes but are unsure of what it is then you can't count it as a coyote.
I guess my question should have been "how many coyotes have you called in in a single daytime hunt". Daytime is the most common time for most guys. Myself, I only shoot coyote at night one time each year.
The Nv. hunt I spoke about above was run out of Pioche Nv. by the rod and gun club. We called 24 coyote but only took 8.
Just read what I wrote and didn't intend to be condesending. Also don't think I know how to spell "condesending"

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 06:11 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
My own best calling day was three coyotes called and all three killed on first stand. Called and killed two more on second stand. Hunted the rest of the day and managed to call and kill one more. Six coyotes called and six coyotes killed.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 07:19 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Furhvstr, I hope you made a good showing for the California boys in that Pioche contest, you should have placed with 8 [Confused] They have a few contest out of there every year so I hear.

Since I've been here in NM ( 3 years )the best I've done during the day was 8 for 8 one day. [Smile]

[ June 14, 2007, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 07:43 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
33 years ago I killed 7 coyotes in one day with a longbow.
21 years ago I called in 12-16 coyotes, all together, at the same time, on one stand. I killed two of them, my partner got one. Single shot Contenders + adrenaline through the roof = fumbles.

IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 08:52 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Most seen in one day around thirty. Most seen on one stand I believe was 15 animals were in group of two to four. Furthest ones where probably 3/4 mile away. Quit calling when my partner ran out of ammo. He only took three rounds.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 09:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently there is something called the FOG OF WAR, Mercer? Entire weekend, going without sleep, hunting a contest, I just have no good reason or the ability to count the number of coyotes I see-sometimes. Sometimes, I just can't remember? Remembering ten is different than remembering forty or so, and that wouldn't be counting cattle eyes or bedded deer, that would be predators, not all of which might be coyotes.

There has been many times I'm not even sure how many we have in the truck, much less how many we might have seen yesterday, during the day? It has to be a rough estimate.

Look at that statement by Higgins. Well! Was it 12 or was it 16? My son and I "called" and then killed six coyotes out of, either nine total, according to me, or ten total, according to my son. On one stand.

I had a man call me a liar over that statement, several years ago, on a public forum. He said it just wasn't in a coyote's nature for that many to be in a group, single file, as they were. Sort of fits with the title of this thread; First Liar.

I know that we hear some pretty wild claims on the Internet, but some of them could be true.

Good hunting. LB

[ June 14, 2007, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 09:53 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Some things seem unbeleivable to some folks. You should see some of the faces at the fur sales when I drag in five dozen or more cats that I harvested with firearms. I am sure the guys that don't know me figure I'm full of s***.
A dozen or more dogs on one stand is a rare and special thing. I hope someday it happens to me. It would be fun. I can recall 6 on one stand once.
LB I understand on extended hunts its nearly impossible to count all the varmint nor is it important. I was mostly talking about single day daytime coyotes CALLED IN and I've gotten some good answers. Didn't realize some have called in so many on one stand that they could'nt count them all. Sounds like fun.

JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 11:44 AM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Best day I have experienced was last year in the Midwest contest where we shot 18 coyotes on day 1. Which I think most people still don't believe. The best stand of the day was when my partner killed 4 for 4. Most coyotes seen on 1 stand several years ago was 7 and we shot 0 lol. Multiple coyotes are lots of fun due to the adrenaline but also trying to figure out how you are going to kill all of them before they get away.

[ June 14, 2007, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: JeremyKS ]

Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 12:48 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
On our best day we called 8 and killed 6. The next best record would be a three way tie with five coyote days. One of which contained 2 wounded/lost coyotes.

We've called as many as 10-12-14 in a day (and night) of hunting but never killed more than half a dozen in any given 24 hours.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 12:48 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Didn't realize some have called in so many on one stand that they could'nt count them all. Sounds like fun.
My BinL and I drove into the desert past a feedlot. The lot's deadpile was located in the dunes on the other side of the fence. As we passed the dunes I could see a fresh carcass and a coyote next to it arched up with his tail tucked, head down and mouth open so I knew there was another coyote in there close. We drove maybe two hundred yards past, hid the truck behind mesquite and sneaked into the wind up to the edge of the dunes. We expected a couple of coyotes to come trotting over the rise when we started to call so we didn't even set up, we just knelt down in the sand and I made a quick series on a Burnham rubberband coaxer and immediately coyotes came running over the entire length of the dune, 20 to 30 yards away. I readily admit that there was maybe just a little fear mixed in with the adrenaline. I'm sure there were 12 coyotes, my BinL says 16. Maybe I had big eyes and he had small ones. Regardless, it was more than we were prepared for. Hopper had taken in a herd of cows at the lot that had respiratory problems and a large number died and were dragged out into the dunes. Attracted a hell of an aggregation for a couple of months.
edit, I shot the 7 with the bow at the town dump outside San Filipe, Mexico. Danny knows where it is. I went after rats with judos and rubber blunts but ran into as many coyotes as rats. Had two broadheads in the quiver and kept touching up the edges after every shot.

[ June 14, 2007, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

Edge
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 01:24 PM      Profile for Edge           Edit/Delete Post 
**33 years ago I killed 7 coyotes in one day with a longbow.**

Thats impressive,period.I have called and killed 3(lifetime)with the longbow.No longer have custody of my left thumb,sure miss shooting trad equipment.

Edge

Posts: 18 | From: Iron County, UT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 03:00 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"No longer have custody of my left thumb,sure miss shooting trad equipment."
------------------------------------
Edge,
You must have been using a thumb release? Ouch!!

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Edge
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Edge           Edit/Delete Post 

[ June 14, 2007, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Edge ]

Edge
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Edge           Edit/Delete Post 
Well,thats what I get for trying to add a pic.....

Edge

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 03:57 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins that is an amazing feat,the 7 with long bow.

Anybody ever pulled off the 2 for 1 shot on coyotes?

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 04:20 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mean to hijack this another way but, what's the best run you have had without missing a called in coyote. One shot one kill.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
the only time I kept track, it was pretty easy; killed twelve, didn't miss any. But, I don't remember if I killed one or ten before that, and whether I got one or ten after that? Or, if I missed three in a row? (but I didn't)

I know a guy who never misses! But, he won't take a shot unless they are stock still inside of fifty yards. Therefore, he can drive ya nutts! I count all those perfect shots that he declines, within 100 yards as MISSES! He will let a coyote walk out of the brush, pause, walk some more, pause, walk/pause/walk/pause until he walks into brush downwind and out of sight. I don't like hunting with that guy! But, he never misses.

Risk a shot, once in a while, screw the precentages!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 05:37 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, I've taken two with a .338 Win Mag and 200 gr Nosler BTs. Less than one hundred yards lying prone in the creosote. Barked them to a stop, shot him through the chest and her through the shoulders. Early morning and I remember the white mist, not red, that sprayed up around them.
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 08:10 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, yea I remember a few 12-15 runs but I have to sit down and recall , we used to make some long runs on sleepin reds back in Iowa in the fur $ days.

Boy I know if I do alot of shotgun shooting and then back to my rifle the first coyote has a good chance of being missed high and left.

Rich H, sure you had enough gun!!!!WOW!!

I got my first this spring on a four pack, took an adult and the rest exited out about 300 yards. After about 15 minutes I got em back in and two stopped over the carcass,at about 50 yards, one with his rear end toward me, and the other broadside in front of him, it went through high on the rear leg of the first and in the guts of the second both had to be shot again but the wounds would have been terminal, but i quess not a true two for one.That was with 223 55 SP. Had a few others line up but that 52 A max in the 250 just won't get there. Interesting thing about that four pack was they were all males, very unusual for my country.

I know the gunner before me got a couple two for one with the shotgun during mating season out of the plane, hooked up, died happy!!!!LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it! I want to go the same way!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 08:51 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know the gunner before me got a couple two for one with the shotgun during mating season out of the plane, hooked up, died happy!!!!LOL
LOL During a contest hunt last winter one of our club members was standup calling in heavy cover and called in two that came running in on opposite sides of a wash. They crisscrossed in the wash 20 yards out and he dropped them both with one load of #4 buck.
Randy, that 338 was a Ruger stainless/black synthetic topped with a Leuplod VariXIII 3.5X10. I had been using single shots for years and the bolt gun seemed a little foreign to me so I began using it for all of my shooting. Jackrabbits, prairie dogs, coyotes, squirrels and deer.I used it exclusively for one year and got pretty good with it. It was a great squirrel gun. The squirrels would stretch out on a 3 or 4 inch limb and hide from us. I'd find a spot or mark on the limb even with it's head and shoot through the limb. Didn't ruin any meat at all. [Smile]
100 rounds in a prairie dog town was usually enough for me.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 10:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I handled that rifle and when I heard that you sold it, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a chance at it. Thanks buddy!

I know one other guy that killed two with one shot. Steve Sundeen, former California State Champion did it with a 6MM Remington, but that was a long personal quest. Why, I couldn't say?

Good hunting. LB

edit: congratulations, you just made "GLOBAL"

[ June 14, 2007, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters