The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » coyotes hearing ability (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: coyotes hearing ability
browning204
Knows what it's all about
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 06:39 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried starting a thread on PM regarding coyotes hearing ability but the P.O.S. Mods keep making stupid posts and it is getting no where fast. I just wanted to maybe learn something.

So, I heard that they can listen to 10 sounds and process them individually, is this true? Does anyone know how I can find if this is true and how do the researchers know this.

Thanks for any info ya'll can give.

Posts: 167 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 07:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't have an answer for you? I could tell you that a coyote has excellent hearing, and can be very selective in the sounds they respond to, but other than that?

It sounds like a lot to claim, without a heck of a lot of (unbiased) documentation?

The most amazing example I can remember was the time I knew I had a coyote yipping at me from downwind, and he was out of sight, beyond some brush that was 250 yards away.

I was using a machine playing a cottontail distress, or something siimiliar(?) set out about a hundred feet from me and remotely turned the volume all the way down with the intention of using a hand call.

I wasn't paying very close attention, just letting things settle down, but it was about a minute later, before I had even started with the hand call; I was surprised to see a pair of coyotes racing into the machine and put their nose right into the speaker before I could get a gun on them.

I managed to get one, but I later held that speaker right to my ear, making sure the volume was off and was unable to hear the tape playing, just a little white noise. Of course, my hearing isn't very good, but I continue to think that that was a remarkable example of their hearing ability.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31488 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 08:34 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
wow that is something! thanks
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 09:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I have a study packed away that I think is entitled "Auditory Sensitivity of Coyotes" authored by Hanson, Burke and two of three others. I'll call Mike Jaeger and see if he has a copy. I don't remember estimations of how many "layers" of sound a coyote can enterpret. I do know that coyotes can interpret many layers of scents, just as drug, cadaver and explosive sniffing dogs can. The size of the middle and inner ear, the rostra and auditory bullae determine the sensitivity to sound but the sounds are sorted and interpreted in certain areas of the brain just as scents are. These areas are very well developed in the coyote. I'll try to find another copy of that study and see what we can come up with.
IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 08:04 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
sweet! thanks
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea heaven forbit you ask a real question over on PM.lol

They like it more when you stroke the Moderators egoes,or talk about more educational stuff like "name that scat" or "texas prime coyotes".Stuff like that.lol [Roll Eyes]

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
tell me about it, now I must admit, I do like to ruffle their skirts when the ask for it but I was really trying to get an educating thread going. Well until Ranutah or whatever he calls himself threatened me with a "off line chat"

I was sooo scared that I shut off my PC and hid under my covers!

But really, I wanna know where these claims about their hearing ability came from.

p.s. will a .17HMR kill a coyote? sorry wrong forum. [Smile]

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 07:15 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything technical about their hearing but I would like to put in my two cents for what it's worth.
Similar to Leonards story I have tried to adjust my volume to reach only the ears that will arrive in 15 minutes or less, usually less as I find it difficult to sit still for more than fifteen minutes. If a dog trots in at 10 mph he will cover 1.67 miles in ten minutes. We have all been out on a stand under calm conditions and heard a dog bark or rooster crow in someones backyard down in the valley floor. Next time it happens to you use your truck odometer to gauge the distance. Often times out here in the desert it can by as much as a 1.5 mile or more. If we can hear that at 1 or two miles how far can a coyote hear our efforts?
I think many of us ( myself included) call to loud and can actually hurt ourselves by moving coyotes off of ground that we will be calling on our next stand. By calling with lower volume I can get up from a stand at twelve or fifteen minutes and be fairly confident that any response would have showed by then. This allows me to make my stands closer together and get in more stands per outing.
An old timer up at the Nv fur sale told me once that out on that barren Nv desert a coyote will come from four or five miles. He would set for half an hour and shot plenty of coy in that last ten minutes.
I hope this is not old news and if it is I apologize.

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 07:38 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
that si good stuff because, last time I was sitting on stand, I was thinking 2 things.

1. please God don't let me call in a Black Bear.
as I was alone and armed with a .204 and a 9mm both I would not consider Bear stoppers.

2. Am I calling to loud. Remember I am not in the desert I am in thick hard and soft woods with lots of ups and downs. I play my distress with moderate to low volume but the coyote vocalizations I blast away. Lots of times I hear them echo in the land around me. I think that I am trying to trigger a territory issue but am I really just yelling "get outta here!" to the possible resident coyotes?

Thought??

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 07:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought!

I had to go over on PMS and read for close to an hour to discover that Bill Martz is the source of your info.

I'm not even going to speculate on his experience/knowledge of coyotes, but I guess he knows alot about radios.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 08:06 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
yes Leonard, that is what got me to thinking about it. As I stated over on PMS, it is just 1 opinion and I am hunting much smaller pieces of property than most people.

I am just trying to get a general feel as to what people think about the subject.

Didn't mean to make you read over there, my bad!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 10:22 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike. After 48 years of calling I have a PHD In calling(Poorly Handled Debacles)

I call to loud

I use to many sounds.

I call to often.

The longer I stay on the stand the more I tend to do the above.

They hear better,smell better, and see better than we can ever cunceve. I cant give you any numbers. Just trust me on this one.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 03:09 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff!!!

I would also like to add that (in my opinion) one of the major reasons that coyotes 'hang up' is calling with to much volume.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7587 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 05:36 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I haven't noticed coyotes hanging up because of to much volume. A change in volume will do it. I too tend to call to loud according to the experts.

I will no longer change the volume on an e-caller once I have seen the coyote , if the coyote is not in view.

I have seen where a coyote will stop if the sound stops. I have also seen when hand calling that a coyote will stop when you do call. a change in sound seems to get them moving again(sometimes)

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 07:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We just can't make general statements about coyotes, which is a darn shame.

Yes on calling softly when it suits my purpose, especially in a high density area. I also like to begin a stand at low volume, seems logical, on occasion.

But, if you talk to the guys in Wyoming or Montana, wide open spaces, for instance; they think there is no such thing as TOO loud.

I have had many animals ignore the 500 pound rabbit, with the volume jacked to max.

It's really hard to say what will cause a coyote to check up, but I agree with Albert, messing with the volume when they are coming in, will queer a few of those eagar beavers.

I have never figured out the dynamics involved, but when hand calling, we have pauses all the time; it's necessary. I wonder how many guys think about their pulse rate when hand calling? I'm always careful because I don't like it much when those crosshairs are jumping all over the place. Even Lance Armstrong would need a few pauses.

However, when calling continuously, with electronics, a pause will cause an incoming animal to skid to a stop. Not always, but enough that you learn to be careful.

That's good to know, when he's in the right position, but that little trick will bite you, if you do it at the wrong time.

Good hunting. LB

PS maybe ol' Bill will drop in and straighten us knuckleheads out?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 08:08 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
""PS maybe ol' Bill will drop in and straighten us knuckleheads out?""

Who you callin a knucklehead?? [Wink]

Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 03:03 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
"1. please God don't let me call in a Black Bear.
as I was alone and armed with a .204 and a 9mm both I would not consider Bear stoppers.

2. Am I calling to loud. .... Lots of times I hear them echo in the land around me.

Thought??"

1. If you call in a bear, be grateful. :-)

2. Calling too loud? You've answered that one for yourself by now. Most likely it is too loud. Even if some coyotes come in to calling that loud, which I suspect a few might, you'd probably do better with a quieter sound, as most here have indicated.

Leonard, that's an amazing anecdote of coyote hearing ability.

[ June 21, 2007, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 03:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leonard, that's an amazing anecdote of coyote hearing ability.
Yeah, I think so, too. But, remember, they were downwind. lol Not downwind of me, of the speaker. I usually set up crosswind.

Actually, I don't know that we need to be bothered about how many distinct sounds a coyote can process at one time.

That was a Johnny Stewart 512 I was using, cassette tape, with the speaker on a heavy duty cord. Primitive. It's a wonder it worked, (at all) without studio quality sound?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 04:50 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
How loud or soft a guy calls needs to be decided not only by the coyotes hearing ability but also the landscape, temp., wind, and possibly coyote density of the area.
It's obvious that if you're calling an area that has lots of big hills and lots of trees, that your sound just isn't going to travel as far as it would out in the flat open prairie, and throw some wind in the mix and a guy has to then concider how much noise that it creates in the coyotes space, and you gotta penetrate through that noise enough for the coyote to hear ya.
One reason that I usually start loud and stay loud is I figure if I got walked into the area without being seen, then the coyote is usually a good ways away from me to start with, and usually only going to be maybe two coyotes that will be able to hear me, although every now and then we do find several in any one area at a time.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 04:54 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you guys aren't factoring in is the wind. A coyote, like a human, can't hear worth a crap if the wind gets up around 20+ mph. I know that alot of you don't deal with the wind like Wyoming, but it's a thought. I'm guessing that 20 mph crosswind cuts their hearing by at least half. At 30 mph I have snuck in on laying coyotes to say 400 yds and if your not pretty much upwind they can't hear you. Blow as loud as you like and they won't even pick their head up. I'm sure that even a 10 mph breeze affects the distance they can hear you more than a guy might think.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 05:03 PM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
""1. If you call in a bear, be grateful. :-)""

Why?

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 05:52 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
LB those Johnny Stewart tapes still work. Went through a couple of the machines but I bet my jackrabbit tape has gone round several hundred times. Still use mine in my truck cassette player every season. It probabaly goes around fifteen times or so on a full night of hunting. I think I bought it in 1986.
Maybe this will be the year I come round and buy one of those e callers you guys talk about.
I haven't blown on anything but my Sceery AP-6 since I bought it. I think it has magic in it.

[ June 21, 2007, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 06:41 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
When i'm in the Dakotas calling and i'm useing the electric its full volume. Like some of the others i have had coyotes hang up when i turned of the caller. I use my live rabbit recording most of the time and when a coyote responds he is comeing in at full tilt. By turning it off i can then get him to stop for a shot..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2007 09:07 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
""1. If you call in a bear, be grateful. :-)"

Why?"

Most callers would be tickled to call in a bear. I just enjoy watching them, especially when they are responding to a call. Had one last Fall look at me, turn to leave then turn back to look, etc. at 30 yards or less. A lot of people who try to call bears never see one so its lucky if you do. Like having a cougar come in to a bobcat stand, I consider it a bonus.

And most black bears aren't going to bother you so the odds of danger are within my risk tolerance. YMMV

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
browning204
Member # 821

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 03:15 AM      Profile for browning204           Edit/Delete Post 
true, but all the people that I know around here that have called in Bear by accident say that they charge in hard.

Maybe I won't get eaten but that would certainly get my heart pumping!!!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters