The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Calling to the Camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling to the Camera
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2007 10:00 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who work to call wildlife in to be shot with a camera instead of a gun. How do you set up? Do you set up and call the same as you would with a rifle, have you tried using a pop up blind?

What kind of camera and lens do you use?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 06:41 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, when Lohman had a TV show we hired guys from TV stations. They came up with home made ponchos. They would get the camo netting and cut it about twice the size of a Army poncho. They had slits for the arms and head. They would attach a few fishing sinkers to the bottom to reduce wind effects.

With just a head net and a pair of gloves they looked like a shapeless pile. Most of the time they kept there arms under the poncho.

As much as they traveled they would have three or four of these things to match the terrain. Since you live in Coyazona you will only need one.

[ August 03, 2007, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: varmit hunter ]

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 07:23 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I set up according to the terrain and my mood on that day.
 -
That's me directly in front of the coyote.

-
That's me prone in front of the bobcat.

-
And somdays I'm lazy and make the dog do all of the work.

-
Although she isn't a real stable platform and some of her shots are kinda askew.

IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Varmint Hunter,

I've got one of those camo nets. While it worked great in the Midwest, it sucks out here in cactus country. It gets caught in everything around, and saves thorns for the next time you sit down. [Eek!]

Has anyone ever tried calling from a portable ground blind? How do the coyotes react to it?

[ August 03, 2007, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2007 06:16 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
We've tried to call to the blind, only while turkey hunting, BUT on the two occasions that I was on scene, the coyotes didn't commit all the way in, like they knew that the blind did not belong in thier surroundings. They came close enough for rifle, one came close enough for shotgun, but none of them came close enough for the bow, we had 4 coming at one spot. We were calling from the blind, BUT I think if a guy had a remote Ecaller, you could kill plenty with a rifle. Turkeys don't mind the blind out in the middle of nothing, BUT coyotes seem to need the blind at least partially brushed in or at least along vegetation that helps blend it some.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 03:59 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
To restate part of Tim's question what camera is everybody using? video and still?

Ive been looking to buy a new SLR digital camera. Looking at the Canon Rebel and an Olympus E410. Any suggestions out there?

Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Nikon D70. It's a great camera, But I've had it for 2 years and am still learning to use it to it's full potential. Up to now, I put the settings on Automatic, and used it as a point and shoot. I got Great pictures, but I think it can do even better if I learn to set the controls for each shot.

My standard lens is a Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm ED I also use a Nikkor AF 70-300 G

But I'd like to save up and buy one of the bigger lenses with Vibration Reduction and More reach.

On of the most helpful sites I've found is www.KenRockwell.com If you look around his site, he compares a lot of different cameras, and does a fair job of instruction ( The instructions on the D70 have at least been helpful, I didn't read any of the others )

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean that I'm the only one on this board who calls with a DSLR instead of video camera?

I've seen some great pictures posted here, what do you use to capture them?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 02:14 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy, I use the Rebelxt and love it. Should be some pics in PX next month i took with it.....
steve

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 05:12 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I just use a Nikon SLR and a mongo zoom lens. I take the film to Walgreens and have the pictures put on a cd. Then my chick PhotoShopifize it. PhotoShop is so cool it is just like having a digital camera! I spent a lot of money on the zoom lens and camera many years ago and have just decided not to make the switch to digital yet!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2007 04:37 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using a new Canon Rebel XTi with a 70 to 300 mm stabilized lense. It is alot of fun. I traded off one of my video cameras to buy it and really enjoy it. But I set up just the same and after I take a few pictures the rifle comes into play. I just cant get into catch and release I guess.

[ September 01, 2007, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2007 05:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Boo! Catch and release, like Higgins?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2007 04:19 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some picts from a catch and release...

Catch
 -

and here is the....

Release
 -

Here is a link to the footage (sorry about the mic jitter) --> http://www.coyoteseasternstyle.com/mpg/CatchandRelease.wmv
Camera: Sony HDR FX1
Setup: Hopefully where the coyotes R!
Trailer: --> http://www.critterbustercalls.com/mpg/Ce-Trailer.wmv
Hope ya enjoy..Please let me know what you think.

[ September 02, 2007, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: CBGC ]

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 08:02 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
We run Panasonic video cameras. Lookin to switch over to Canon's for this coming season.

CBGC, how many kills have you got for your Eastern style video? That must be interesting workin with radio collared coyotes for studies.

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
CBGC
Member # 643

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 01:49 PM      Profile for CBGC   Author's Homepage   Email CBGC         Edit/Delete Post 
canine
We have a couple kills in PA and some from NY on film. I spend most of the time filming by myself and I dont carry a gun very often...so that makes it tough.

--------------------
Save a Deer Shoot a Road Hunter!
http://www.CritterBuster.com

Posts: 46 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
predatorhunters
PAKMAN
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2007 10:09 PM      Profile for predatorhunters   Author's Homepage   Email predatorhunters         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Panasonic DVX100B video camera and set-up as I would with a rifle. I usually sit on my butt with a fence or brush row near my back, with tripod between my legs. I find it VERY important to be slightly above the level of the video camera... as a result, I tilt the viewfinder up on about a 45 degree and look down into it. I also cut my Manfrotto tripod handle in half so it's only about 8 inches long. That way it doesn't interfere with panning by contacting my chest or hunting clothes. I don't cover/camo my camera or tripod at all, the predators just don't see me as long as I am completely camoed which I always am. I think the pod and camera just look like clutter from a distance like many other details on a fencerow. As for still camera, I'd do the same thing but with a l-o-n-g lens. I'd still use a video fluid panning head for tracking and fast acquisition of the animal, as opposed to a jerky tilt/pan photographic head. I use the Manfrotto 501. It's A1. Hope this helps!

[ September 12, 2007, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: predatorhunters ]

--------------------
John Summerfield
www.predatorhunters.com

Posts: 1 | From: Great Lakes Region | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters