The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Calling sequences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling sequences
Rezgulator
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 09:08 AM      Profile for Rezgulator   Email Rezgulator         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a good call routine (just the basic's):

Start quite?

Start with a howl or a rabbit call?

How long should a rabbit squall set be?

How long should a howlling be set be. (Are too many howls unnatural.)

Wait how long between sets before starting another?

A few nights ago I had the windows open, when I heard a rabbit quickly give two intense squalls. A few moments later, I heard a young but seemingly dominate coyote give two short (approx 2-3 sec's) howls. I did not hear any more after the howls. I had never heard a rabbit get caught by a coyote before- Thought it was pretty neat. This in it self may be a good calling sequence to copy?

Posts: 22 | From: San Diego (Navajo&Hupa areas) | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. Since Wile can't figure out how to turn on a computer anymore, I'll do his dirty work.

quote:
A few moments later, I heard a young but seemingly dominate coyote give two short (approx 2-3 sec's) howls.
What made you think this was a young and dominate coyote?

I do think that would be an effective sequence for starting out a set.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't get the idea that there are rules that cannot be broken. None of this stuff is graven in stone...to borrow a phrase from an old friend on the dark side.

Just see what works. It's hard to make a mistake, but admittedly, some things work better than others.

There is a lot of good information here, in past threads, if you care to read it. Hard to say where you will stumble on a real nugget?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 12:35 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the rabbit could have been killed by something other than the coyote. [Wink] Welcome to the site. [Razz]

I'll say this, with calling IMHO less is more. Shorter series, not calling as often, etc will "kill" more coyotes, for me atleast.

When a coyote hears a sound, what does he do? He usually stops. So the more you call (or stop calling) the more the coyote stops, usually.

When a predator pinpoints the sound, usually from calling to much or continual calling, what does he do? He usually stalks the sound, using every stitch of cover, sometimes hanging up to look things over for periods of time, periods of time you might move and might get busted.

When a predator doesn't have the sound pinpointed, only knows the direction and area of the call source what does he do? He usually looks for the source, often using routes of high visibility, and often tries to get downwind which will also be wide open visible if you setup so your downwind is wide open visible.

Which coyote is more easily seen, the slow stalking coyote using every stitch of cover or the coyote in searching mode using routes of high visiblity looking for the sound or walking out into the open to get your scent?

I know which method of calling works best for me.

Like Leonard quoted "Just see what works. It's hard to make a mistake, but admittedly, some things work better than others."

See what works for you in your area. We all hunt different, therefor different things will work well for us that don't work as well for others (which is why we all disagree LOL [Wink] ).

And things will change over time.

And like Leonard said, avoid "rules". There is no such thing as "never" or "always". "Usually" is about as close as you can get.

And let the coyote be your teacher. Watch how he responds to your methods. As you change your methods note how his responses change. How he comes in, his body language, his approach, etc. In the end, after trying many different methods, choose the method that gets the coyote response that is most desirable for a given terrain, weather, etc.

Be flexible and make experienced decisions. It takes time to gain experience. And once you have it, use it, don't fall into ruts, "always" doing it a certain way. Remember, never use "always", "usually" is the best it can get.

later,
scruffy

[ August 21, 2007, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 06:10 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When a coyote hears a sound, what does he do? He usually stops. So the more you call (or stop calling) the more the coyote stops, usually.

I would say its 50/50. I had them hang up when i turned the caller off, but once i turned it back on at full volume the coyote came in full tilt. And i have had some just sit there and look the situation over before committing..
Try a little calling or continues calling and see what happens, also keep it simple by useing prey indistress and a lone howl..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rezgulator
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Rezgulator   Email Rezgulator         Edit/Delete Post 
I have taken time to go through past threads and did find some good stuff.

I'm just looking to hear of some basic's.

Posts: 22 | From: San Diego (Navajo&Hupa areas) | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 07:18 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like Leonard quoted "Just see what works. It's hard to make a mistake, but admittedly, some things work better than others."

See what works for you in your area. We all hunt different, therefor different things will work well for us that don't work as well for others (which is why we all disagree LOL ).

And things will change over time.

And like Leonard said, avoid "rules". There is no such thing as "never" or "always". "Usually" is about as close as you can get.

And let the coyote be your teacher. Watch how he responds to your methods. As you change your methods note how his responses change. How he comes in, his body language, his approach, etc. In the end, after trying many different methods, choose the method that gets the coyote response that is most desirable for a given terrain, weather, etc.

Be flexible and make experienced decisions. It takes time to gain experience. And once you have it, use it, don't fall into ruts, "always" doing it a certain way. Remember, never use "always", "usually" is the best it can get.

This is very sound advise. I hardly ever do it the same two days in a row but I'll try . But usually a certain sound will tickle my fancey and I'll be more confident with it and go on using it hard and screw up my fancey drawn out sequence.

quote:
When a predator pinpoints the sound, usually from calling to much or continual calling, what does he do? He usually stalks the sound, using every stitch of cover, sometimes hanging up to look things over for periods of time, periods of time you might move and might get busted.
I think there are just to many variables to say how they react to certain sequences ever. Now a cat. That is one thing and the last quote fits one to a tee. But just like before not evry time just more often than not.

Ive had to many accounts of walking up on coyotes and giving one lip squeak and them running straight to me to say they wont pinpoint a sound. They are dead shot and I think whether its one call or a whole bunch your pinpointed as soon as they here you to a certain extent. And a coyote will no matter what end up down wind no matter the situation if allowed to do so. ( thats not my quote i stole it)

I think a sequence is something that makes a caller. I tried Rich H sequence to a tee but it didnt work for me like it did him. But some of the same sounds diffrent sequence worked fine for me but might not him. But i will gaurentee one thing. My sequence might be the same two days in a row maybe but it wont be for a week. Even though I try to do so!

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 08:53 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I said "usually" to all my statements that were quoted. When I say "usually" its based on whats happened a majority of the time for me, and a log of what happened on each stand is a good easy way of noting these types of trends. [Wink]

Personally, for a beginner I tell them to just stick with distress, leave the howls to the coyotes. In my area I have howled in more farmers than coyotes... And had a couple bullets zing over my head...

Most of the coyotes that came in after the howl and after a series or four of distress came in much slower that usual, very timid, usually hung up at 200 or beyond, looking for the coyote that made the howl I assume? If a double came in it's been different, they came in more normall, but that's very very rare here, it's usually a single responder.

In my stats of using howls with distress and distress only over multiple years, I called 50% MORE coyotes (stands per coyote) when using distress only, on average. And those coyotes that came to distress only were much closer shots because the coyotes came in much better, body language at ease, easier to coax, etc. My distress only average was 75-150 yards and that's where I stopped them for a shot (stopped so they wouldn't get down wind, or they were right infront of the barrel on the sticks, or they just looked like they were getting nervous. My howled or howled/distress average was 200-350 and that's as close as I could get them.

Maybe I have a bunch of timid coyotes, LOL. I tried female and even pup howels, didn't work any better.

Again, everyones mileage varies. This is just what I've seen in my area. Every area has it's differences.

I'm always interested and read intently on how people call. Before I got on the internet I used closed reed calls, called sporadically and not often, and did really good. After being on the internet, and being "enlightened" on how to call, I've called every way under the sun. E-caller, open reed, howls, etc. I bought videos and called how they called. I called alot every way I read how to call, different strategies, into the wind, cross wind, tail wind, setting up in the bedroom, shallow into the section, here or there, whatever someone said "worked". I even came up with a few strategies I hadn't read about, but sounded good, some I still need to test more. I spent alot of money and time, and learned a tramedous amount I wouldn't have any other way.

And during that whole testing time, my coyotes call dropped way down. Nothing I did called as many coyotes as the old way. The coyotes didn't come in as good either, weren't as easy to coax, didn't come in as relaxed. They responded differently every different way I called them, on average.

Now, and for the past year, I've been calling with a couple closed reed calls and calling short and sparingly. And I've seen my called coyotes go way back up. From may-july I did 12 stands, testing different seats and sticks and such I'll use this winter, and called coyotes in on 4 of those 12 stands. All four coyotes came in relaxed, across open ground, taking 2 tracks, bean fields, hay fields, all with vegitation no taller than the bottom of their belly, in "searching mode" looking for the source of the sound using paths of high visibility. Calling and responses just like the old days. [Big Grin]

So try every method out there, you'll learn alot, that no one can teach you, and in the end you'll be a successful coyote caller, if you stick with it, it's a many many year, actually lifetime, commitment.

later,
scruffy

[ August 22, 2007, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rezgulator
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 10:13 PM      Profile for Rezgulator   Email Rezgulator         Edit/Delete Post 
I when the coyote howled, it was not a "high" tone like a pup, nor low and deep like older or mature coyotes. The howl was loud, strong and seemed to be confident. I don't know how else to explain it? I guess that don't make it dominate, but it sure sounded dominate. It could have also been male or female??

As for the rabbit getting caught, I could be way way off on that. It just seemed like it. The two sounds came from the same area and only moments apart. And the rabbit did make some harsh squalls.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 10:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have taken time to go through past threads and did find some good stuff. Rezgulator

Let me show you how to find information on Huntmastersbbs.

First, do you see up in the upper left, where it says:

The New Huntmastersbbs!
my profile | register | search | faq | forum home

Click on "my profile"

This will bring up another window that says, on the upper right: » View/Update Profile «

This will take you to your profile.

Scroll all the way to the bottom. The last item is: Default Topic View

Look at the pull down menu on the right and select "show all topics"

Right now, there are 39 pages of topics within the Predator Hunting Forum, with twenty-five (25) threads (topics) on each of those pages, almost 1000 separate topics, and some of them have hundreds of replies .

You could spend a couple months reviewing the information available in this one forum, not to mention the other nine forums. They go all the way back to January 2003.

Good luck, LB

edit: the Member Forum has 67 pages, some topics more useful than others

[ August 21, 2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rezgulator
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 10:59 PM      Profile for Rezgulator   Email Rezgulator         Edit/Delete Post 
These are some great responces, Thanks!

I once howled in my wife's cousin, who I never met before, while he was checking his cattle on horseback.

Gave me a pretty good scare when this big ol' Navajo dude, I never met before, comes running up on a horse with his dogs leading the way, look'n to stomp a coyote. (I think it would have made great film footage)

Just from these few responces, I feel real good about my next stands.

Thanks for the info.

Rezgulator
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2007 11:07 PM      Profile for Rezgulator   Email Rezgulator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Leonard

I'll do that now.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters