The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » SOB

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOB
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2007 07:11 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, messed up big time on a bobcat yeaterday morning. [Frown] One hail mary shot with the shotgun, just as he was disappearing back into the weeds. No apparent hit.

Will one of these work? Same spot same sound? Same spot different sound? Different spot same sound? Different spot different sound? Or am I SOL?

Man, I'm bummed. [Frown] Let my guard down for 10-15 seconds, daydreaming about how to velcrow a watch to my remote. Glanced up and he was already beating feet back to cover. He must have damn near ran right smack into the caller.

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2007 07:36 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a bummer man!
If you work that same area you can prolly call him back in. Maybe try a different sound. Bird sound or something. Rabbit sounds always work best for me.
Have you guys always been able to shoot bobcats or is this a result of the new trapping laws you guys have for bobcat?
Last friday I took two guys out that have been wanting to go coyote hunting for awhile. It was a little work as they showed up with blaze orange on and such but we called in five dogs and they got three of them. The worst part was on the last stand I called in a bobcat and it sat on a ridgeline at about 120 or so just staring at us. I told the one guy that if he was sure he could hit it square in the chest to go ahead. Just then a coyote came running in just to the left of the cat. He still shot at the cat and I saw dust and feet and belly dissapear over the hill. The coyote ran over to another hill where I stopped him and he took a double impact from both guys. A search for the cat found nothing. I just hope it was a miss or a non-lethal hit.

[ November 05, 2007, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2007 07:45 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Something I learned from my cat-calling friends - Cats are dumb. My guess is that the answer to your question will be "any of the above" (except the SOL thing).
Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, the best shot is to call the same place. That's his area, and he will probably be there for quite a while. What is unknown is whether to go back the next day or the following week.

Personally, I have gone back to where I called, or just saw a cat, a month later and the cat is still in basically the same place. If he can hear your call and he is half a mile away, he will only be five minutes later, coming to the call.

Calling from a slightly different location is a good idea. I realize that that sounds contradictory, but I mean same location where you called him before, just sitting in a slightly different spot, like 90º but still commanding the same ground. If you have a decoy, I'd use it. If you have remote operated electronics, I'd use that, too.

Here's my theory, for what it's worth. That cat was called. He detected you, but he still thought there was a critter in trouble, and you caused the commotion while killing a bunny. Next time he hears the sound, it will probably be the bunny snagged his leg on barbed wire, or a plastic bag, but he won't necessarily think that a human is killing the bunny. In fact, that would likely not occur to him, at all, as it might to a coyote.

No matter how many times a predator is called, (and, I know a couple guys that used to drive a hundred miles and call the same bobcat on a hill down by Goffs, every month, on a Club Hunt) ......the cat still thinks it's a critter in trouble. They don't consider that a human is making the sound. (I use the term "think" loosely) Rather; the possibility exists that a human is killing a rabbit. Or any number of other events that causes a rabbit, or a bird to scream. If for no other reason than curiosity, they are so inclined to check it out.

Don't believe that a coyote is way too brilliant to come to a call a second time either, although I suspect you already know that? But, when dealing with a bobcat, calling the same animal is a lot easier because they have a more confined territory, whereas a coyote could be ten miles away?

Finally, I think your odds are VERY good at calling and killing that cat, whenever you decide the time is right to try it again. And, if you draw a blank, I would try it again, and again. He's a round somewhere, possibly out of range of your calll, but he has a territory, and you won't cause him to leave it by making a stand where he detected you and left. This doesn't make him stupid, it means he is supremely confident of his abilities.

You know, the cat that Dusty Hunter killed on the campout, had been called at least three previous times. Fred just called from a slightly different position, and the cat came in fairly close, not timid or cautious. This is their behavior, if you understand it and can benefit from the knowledge.

Good luck, LB
(you should get him) [Wink]

edit: I should have mentioned this above. Yes, a rabbit distress is always good, as is bird trills, etc. However, the best dynamite sounds on a hung up bobcat are: rodent distress or housecat kitten distress.

[ November 05, 2007, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent post Leonard. Especially the last part.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2007 07:44 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, don't wait around too long to call that spot again. I checked the tally yesterday towards the 150 bobcat quota and it was 13. As of this morning the tally was 33. So the "season" won't last long by the looks of it, the trappers and probably some bow hunters are getting them.

Good luck! Sounds like you have a great spot.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2007 08:23 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow with some rodent distress. Also found a creek Sunday afternoon that was loaded with track. No takers though on three setups. I'm going to hit that again.

Scuffy, Yep I think it will fill up real quick but it's been winder than hell here the last two days. Monday 30mph sustained with gusts to 45 and today it's 20 mph with gusts to 30. They say it's going to lay down tomorrow.

Dennis

[ November 06, 2007, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2007 01:11 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I have some sounds for my e-caller setup, but at the rate the quota is getting filled, I imagine it'll end before I can make it out in a couple weekends...

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what are you going with for choke/load combination on your shotgun?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2007 06:15 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Go get em Dennis, have you heard of any other ones being harvested? Expect to see some pics when you get one! Good luck!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 6 posted November 17, 2007 02:25 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Well 30+ stands later, I catch up with her!

-

Dennis

[ November 21, 2007, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2007 03:20 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I like, Dennis, bulldog tactics.
Congratulations. Pretty cat.

IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2007 06:03 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty cool, Dennis.

Great perseverance!

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2007 06:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Dennis. I knew you would get him/her, it. Of course, I was a little off in the number of stands required, but who's counting?

Wouldn't you like to fill in a few details?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 14 posted November 17, 2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Finally, I think your odds are VERY good at calling and killing that cat, whenever you decide the time is right to try it again. And, if you draw a blank, I would try it again, and again. He's a round somewhere, possibly out of range of your calll, but he has a territory, and you won't cause him to leave it by making a stand where he detected you and left. This doesn't make him stupid, it means he is supremely confident of his abilities.
Thanks for the advice. Contrary to what my wife thinks, I do listen at times. I'll fill in a few details tommorrow.

Dennis

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 06:08 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Dennis, nice looking cat!!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 11:11 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see the photo.

[ November 18, 2007, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2007 12:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't see it either, this morning? It's visible now, must have been a problem with his host Hunt101?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 06:20 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
The Cover
This is a picture of what I was calling . Very small patch of thick brush in a steep cut with a brush pile on the top end(north). Cover was isolated by a pipe line clear cut that was about 60 yds wide on the south end. Cover size was probably less than two acres.
 -

The approach
The bobcat came out of the pipe line cut(the yellow post on the left) and came up the edge toward the caller. That's the brown spot close to the white trash in the chiseled bean stubble. The bobcat was shot about half way between the yellow post and the white trash. Distance was about 35-37 yards.
 -

The hidey hole

Due to the small size of the cover patch, I choose to sit against the closer grain bin facing the brush pile. I was about 25 yds from the cover. The caller is just to the right of the yellow grass.

-

I shot the bobcat with a browning gold with the carlton dead coyote choke and 3" dead coyote shot. It was DRT.

It took me 38 stands to tag a bobcat, although I did mess up on stand number 8. Seems like alot of stands but doubt if I was just calling coyote that I could have had a incidental call up in that number. I know i was having second thoughts about letting a few coyote walk because i didn't want to mess up on the bobcat and was having some real confidence issues on sounds, volume and all that stuff. The quota the night before was at 132 out of 150. I think my bobcat was about number 135. The season as of 8 o'clock this morning is closed!

BTW: It only took about 2 minutes or less to get her. Happened real fast! Rodent distress at about 1\2 volume.

Dennis

[ November 21, 2007, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 08:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good report, Dennis. What do you say to all those guys that say it's easy?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,
Congratulations on your success of calling and killing that bobcat. Nice looking cat too. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 11:17 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I don't know what to tell them. I had a good shot at tagging one of the first 10 or 12 in the state and now feel very lucky to have tagged one of the last 15 or so of the year. When I first heard they were going to have a season this year, I told my wife, son and my hunting buddies that I was going to call and shoot a bobcat. No ifs, ands or buts. Forget about the deer hunting,the rut, coyotes or anything else. I had my sights on a bobcat.

I thought the biggest issue would be the quota. Figured the trappers and coon hunters might fill it so fast that I'd run out of time. That just about happened! I'm a novice when it comes to bobcats. Really no experience in just targeting them, and in the past the ones I called were just incidental to coyote calling and I had no license or tags to shoot them.

So to make a long story short, even though I'm a card carring PAKMAN, I probably won't be telling too many people the best way to call and shoot bobcats. I'm still all ears!

Dennis

[ November 19, 2007, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 01:03 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome Dennis!!! [Cool] Great story and determination. Are you going to target them just as hard next year?

I was only able to make it down "south" to target bobcats on 2 stands, which is sad because I only live 8.15 miles north of the cut off line.... [Roll Eyes] I felt the same as you, complete doubt on my sounds, volume, etc that I was using. I'd read all I could, but it's still a learning curve obviously, and just starting out on it. Made it fun also. I'm already looking forward to next year LOL. [Big Grin]

Oh, and hopefully I can get some experience calling them before the next season. I have one living in my section, seen it's tracks, the wife hears it scream a couple times a week, bow hunter on my place saw it, etc. Last Thursday night the wife almost hit it with her new jeep, a nice big darkly spotted bobcat she said. I'm going to try to call it to the camera, try a few things, so next season when I head south into the zone I'm not going in with so many doubts/mistakes.

Again, great job!!!

later,
scruffy

[ November 19, 2007, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters