The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Perception of Sound by Coyotes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Perception of Sound by Coyotes
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2007 05:24 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part:
Do you believe that a coyote perceives a pup whine or distress as a meal (something edible is hurt and I want it) or is it your belief that they are coming in to save the day and be a good ma or pa?
I know that any answer will have 100's of qualifier's with them so just a basic answer will do. Time of year, sound in relation to den, breeding pair, suburbs, wilderness, savannah, yada yada....
I know this may seem to some like asking Hillary Clinton what her favorite caliber rifle is but...... I would sincerely like to hear some opinions on this.
My own opinion is, easy meal, most of the time. [Big Grin]

[ November 23, 2007, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say curiosity and territorial response..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5113 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2007 06:05 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is that a coyote responds because.........it's a coyote and that's what coyotes have to do. I know that seems about as clear as mud, but why does a coyote with a full belly respond off of a carcass to a rabbit call?? Why will a coyote respond on the run to a woodpecker sound from a mile away when there's not enough calories involved to be worth crossing the road for?? How many coyotes have ever incountered a 200 decible rabbit that many of us try to sound like, yet they still respond........ because they are coyotes and they have to. It's just the nature of the beast!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7617 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 05:36 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure why they do; but am confident that it's not because the are trying to save junior. I agree that territory/dominance would be the most probable reason.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 06:30 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok pup distress, I think it is a responce or reaction based on the family group. Family's well being or family's territory.

I base this on the reactions you see when you know you are working a group of coyotes, in the summer and in the dead of winter. The pup distress will pile coyote on top of coyote late summer if you have YOY, sitters, and parents nearby. These are all one family. Family well being.

In the dead of winter again if you still have a group of coyotes in the same area, may be somewhat broke up but still within an area pup distress triggers a well being or a I told you kids to stay away responce.

A howl before pup distress puts a strange coyote in the area and now well being issues, much different scenario than just pup distress.

I think nomad roaming coyotes in the fall finding there space are not going to show the same reaction to the pup in distress. I think most coyote vocalizations to these coyotes are going to trigger a negative reaction.

Pup distress in defended territories triggers a well being responce all year. The older and longer inhabited areas the coyotes have the better reactions I see when using pup distress.

But again I am trying to think like a coyote with a human brain, the one flaw in this equation.

Good topic Smithers!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 03:25 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I lumped them together in the original post, I think personally, that whines (whimpers) and distress are two separate but equal vocalizations. Nearly the same message not quite the urgency with whines/whimpers. When I talk of pup whines I am trying to portray a coyote or dog that is nervous/scared or antsy. With distress I am trying to convey hurt/scared or being eaten alive or nipped at. A single aiiiiight!
I have just recently started to use whimpers in a nervous/scared context to start off a stand because it's low and mournful and could be interpreted several ways by a coyote. I haven't called one in with just this sound alone yet BUT I WILL!
Let me ask the question another way. What message are YOU trying to convey or establish as the maker of the sound? Are you trying to convey a pup in need, a pup being mauled by another, a pet dog being savaged? A coyote pup having his ass handed to him by a rabbit?

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 03:41 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they respond because they have to.
but as always I could be wrong( ya think) [Eek!]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm odd ( Probably am ) but I don't like to mix food sounds with coyote distress sounds. About the only time I mix them is when I had a pair or more run in, and took a shot. Then I might yelp to stop a runner for a second shot.

I understand that coyotes don't think like people, but if you were running for the dinner bell, then suddenly heard someone getting his ass handed to him, wouldn't it cause you to slow down to better assess the situation?

But I sure like Randy's suggestion of a lone howl, followed a few minutes later by a pup in distress. You can bet I will be trying that soon!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 05:05 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why, but I know they do.
I have had too many show up to distressed coyote sounds - within 20 - 30 secounds.
I believe these coyotes were hearing my 10-12 minutes of hurt rabbit or bird sounds and for some reason the coyote sounds trggered a positive response.
Would these coyotes have showed without the coyote sounds....maybe...maybe not...
I use them alot.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 08:07 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be that the responding coyote perceives that the original predator who caught the rabbit is now having to defend it’s dinner? The first predator is now occupied with a coyote, eagle, bobcat or what ever and might not notice the hard charger as he stole the prey and run off?

[ November 24, 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Bryan J ]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
According to my ol' ecology profs, most of what we would label as intuitive and instinctive behaviors exist to compel an animal to do what is necessary to ensure the continuation of the genetic bloodline, and as such, the species. If that means running headlong into a butt whoopin', so be it. And this is, IMO, the drive behind a coyote's natural curiosity toward pup distress sounds.

We've all seemingly agreed in the past that a coyote responds to prey distress because he essentially is reacting to the flipping of a primitive switch somewhere in his head that tells him to get it and eat it, even though his belly is full. How often have we heard tales like cited above, or about guys witnessing coyotes gorging themselves on a carcass, then puking it all up, only to go back and gorge themselves all over again.

As much as we would like to look upon coyotes as thinking, rationalizing beings, the more you look at their behavior, and the closer you look at it, the more you realize how automated they are in their responses to certain stimuli, most of which are survival oriented.

To answer the question, I don't think they regard the sound as being anything other than what it is, and they respond to it because millions of years of evolutionary influence compel them to do so. This, along with other behavioral traits, has served the species well I think.

As far as mixing ki-yi's with food distress, I note that a lot of the best callers I've sat a stand with do so on occasion. Personally, I use it often as a change up. Just last week, in SW KS, we had one hang up at 600 yards. Nothing else seemed to get his attention. I ki-yi'd a bit, and as soon as the sound hit him, he was up and closing. His response was predictable - circling downwind - and IMO, and has been my experience, it's always best to anticipate this on the part of the coyote and reposition yourself to deal with him when he does.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 08:04 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the disjunctive perturbation of the facture verges on codifying a participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 09:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You have been hanging around Higgins a little too much, Tim. Even starting to talk like him?

Good hunting. LB

For me, I'm having a little difficulty understanding the question? Is it too basic, too subtle, too profound. Somebody needs to draw me a picture.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31529 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 09:53 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all the answers are good. I will have to get Rich to tell me what Tim said in is second post.

The hard part is for us, equiped with the human brain is to fiqure out how to trip those built in responces.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 10:12 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to add something about the truncation or segmentation of a pack and the superfluous nature of a lone coyote's eating habits.
You can bet I will be trying that soon!
That's a riot...

Leonard, I am asking what you think that a pup distress or whine means to a coyote and why they would respond. If you use the sound on a regular basis what context do you use it in?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Tim. I meant John-Henry.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 11:00 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the disjunctive perturbation of the facture verges on codifying a participation in the critical dialogue of the 90s."

Well Tim, I was going to mention it, but being the perfectionist I am, I was trying to nail it down to the early or late 90's.
Maintain, Geordie

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 11:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
no wonder you have been droppen from the Christmas list! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters