The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Perfect Stand

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Perfect Stand
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 06:08 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I know everyone likes pictures, and this one was pretty fair I think. Tim and I were calling this morning, and on our way to the next stand, we saw three coyotes run across the road. We pulled maybe 200 yards past where they crossed, hot footed it out in the grass, and made a stand. These four,and a fifth one came charging right in, Tim performed his photographic skills like a pro.

-

-

-

[ November 29, 2007, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 06:29 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
great pictures.... wouldn't a perfect stand have been that 19 calhoon cracking them all and you see the before and after scenarios:}

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 06:31 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
The 19 Calhoon cracked once Norm, and one fell, the rest disappeared in that tall grass like ghosts.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 06:33 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pic's Tim and Vic.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 07:36 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
VERY IMPRESSIVE! Great photography Tim.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 07:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
NICE!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 07:58 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the whole fam damily! Great pics, Tim.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 08:34 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent pictures! Nice job Tim and Vic.
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 10:15 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
What an exciting stand! Great pictures Tim!!! Looks like the new camera is doing its job well.

Dr. Vic, nice shooting as always. One day this fall I saw you shooting .22LR's through the holes of flying ice cubes all morning. I think you missed once and hit the ice cube. Anyway, nice shooting. [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 05:04 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Was down near safford about a week ago that tall grass is everywhere.
[Big Grin] Great pics and stand thanks for sharing
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 05:49 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the pics - those are nice. Great job.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
CindyTraps
Member # 1893

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 07:07 AM      Profile for CindyTraps   Email CindyTraps         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome pictures, just picture perfect! Yeah! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Happy Trails

Posts: 113 | From: Seligman, Arizona | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 07:31 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Purty cool [Smile] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 02:41 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the first pic where the one is in the air? Coolest pic Ive seen in ages.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 03:22 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!! Are those stills retrieved from a clip or were you just that fortunate to snap the first one at the magic moment?

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 03:47 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I never even noticed that danged branch until I got home. I love that flying coyote picture, I'd like to get more like that, only with out the branch.

I got a few frames with four coyotes, but never got all five in the frame at once. He is just out of sight to the left in the second picture.

In the third picture, that coyote looking at Vic was in his last fraction of a second of life. The rifle cracked right after the camera clicked, I'd like to get the impact on film one of these days too. Then like Vic said, the others just vanished like ghosts in that tall grass.

I love calling them in the tall grass, just to watch them bounce as they come in, but it sure makes shooting them, with either a rifle or a camera, difficult at best.

For those who don't know him, here is the True Coyote god.

-

Like Paul mentioned, that tall grass is every where. But I love calling in these areas, as you can watch the coyotes coming in from a long, long way out.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 04:03 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Work. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 04:06 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt bad, I am getting fat and gray, but now that I seen Vic... I feel better. [Big Grin]

Tim,

That's a very interesting focal point, especially in the first photo, is that an auto-focus camera, and what lens were you using?

I don't understand how you guys hunt that wide open stuff... they're only two feet tall, if you can see them coming, why didn't they see you coming first?

Park the truck, run chase after them, a whole 100 yards, and get set-up... without them seeing you?  -

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 04:15 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tall grass? I don't see no tall grass. Where? Tall grass is shoulder high or higher, three feet visibility or less. That ain't tall grass. That's a well kept lawn. Maybe even a putting green in need of some attention.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty......Belly Crawl! LOL

[ November 30, 2007, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: CrossJ ]

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
JD,

I shoot still frames with a Nikon D70. The coyotes were shot at:

1/500th sec
f/6
300mm

While I took Vic's picture at

1/250th sec
f/8
70mm

When calling, I shoot in bursts of usually three. I ended up with 9 images on that stand. That's one of the things that I love about digital. I carry enough cards and batteries to shoot close to 1,000 images when I go out. ( But on my best day, I've only taken a little over 300 ) I then bring them home and upload them into the computer, and delete the one's that I don't like.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 05:06 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, it is sure a shame that the presence of a branch might separate you from the published pros that some might worship.

For my money, you got them bouncing in and on "film" better than most of us ever will.

I do love the burst mode of digital cameras, I've enjoyed the heck out of mine.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 08:29 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Burst mode.....of course.

Very nice!!! Good on both of ya.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 07:19 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Tim, great shots without firing a round!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 08:01 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some finely focused pictures with what I am sure was some fast action. Those shots tell a tale. Good work to both of you!
In that 2nd pic, the 2nd coyote, obscured by the branch on the right, went unnoticed by me 'til just now... How observant am I? Not Very, I suppose. Damn ghosts of the prairie, I tell ya! [Smile]

IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters