The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » question on when to stop em (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: question on when to stop em
howler
Knows what it's all about
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
For the Electric call guys. I ahve a few questions.
1. when do you stop the coytes for a shot

2. how do you stop them

3. what do you do with the caller leave it on turn it off.

4. Do you turndown the volume when the coyote gets close or let er rip.

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2007 05:48 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I try to stop the caller as soon as I know the coyote has *IT'S* location lined out... this is usually pretty soon after I lay eyes on him. Some setups differ, mainly because of topography, but I don't want him wondering around aimlessly at his own pace.

By stopping the caller early, he'll often stop at least once on his own before jamming me up. When a coyote is focused on a caller I prefer not to give up my location by barking or anything else... but when necessary I'll give him a littl "Woof" with tension on the trigger.

In the event I shut down the caller then lose the coyotes interest... I'll start it back up at the same volume level.

I'm very interested in how others answer these questions. I think maybe how they stop them will tell us a little about how they're setting up in the first place.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 52

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2007 06:29 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
If I (we) set up and use the E-caller, we usually use a shot gun. 5 to 40 yds.
Stopping the coyote is secondary.
If using a rifle, I'll bark, yell, or howl the coyote to a stop (hopefully) between 50 to 100 yds.
I'm not too good at hitting a running target with a rifle, [Frown] so stopping them becomes primary.

The caller plays continuously. We just decrease the volume a bit.

John

[ December 16, 2007, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: John ]

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2007 06:29 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I stop them when they are just about to enter ome place that I don't want them to be. It's just that simple. As long as they show a commitment to the approach, I let them. I like chip shots. I'm comfortable with coyotes very close for long periods so I let them get as close as possible.I shoot very few at 100 + yards.
A short bark will anchor a close in coyote.

IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2007 06:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent questions, Howler!!

The answers that you get will depend a lot on the 'When - What _ & Where's.

For my style of calling, in the areas that I hunt;

(1) When to stop the coyote; I like to set up my stands with a 'kill box' in mind. It's size will vary depending on whether I'm using a shotgun or rifle. Once the coyote's in the box, if I do my part, it's leaving with me. Just a matter of waiting for the high % kill shot.

(2) How to stop them; I simply bark with my voice while looking over the scope. Coyote stops (hopefully), eye drops to the scope, crosshairs to the chest, yank the trigger, Dirt Nap Time. All bow before the Mini-14.

(3) Caller on or off; I leave it on. If it's working.....why mess with it?

(4) Volume up or down; I leave it alone. Again, if it's working....

What say the rest of ye Pampas Knowitalls??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2007 10:17 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I just leave the caller running and bark when a coyote is in a good place for a shot or I shoot when they stop naturally to look over the scene. I've never got into a habit of messing with the volume when a coyote is approaching and I'm about to shoot.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 07:17 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I went to the remote control callers, I would set the caller out cross-wind from 30-50 yards and let it play til the tape ran out. That's when I learned that hungry coyotes won't stop when you bark at em. They would come in on the run, make a U turn around the caller and just keep on running. That is when I learned that a bullet is the best way to stop them. Don't wait for the buggers to stop, just shoot em. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 10:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Howler, the caller should be placed in a manner that it positions the coyote to your advantage. A coyote that is allowed to run in and u-turn around a caller will have a nose full of your scent and barks will not stop him. You can use sights, scents and sounds to stop and position a coyote where you want him to guarantee you a standing chip shot. Much better than blasting away at a running coyote.
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 12:24 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
He said "before he had a remote caller" Rich H. I am sure that Mr. Cronk, hits pause and stops them at 100 yards and bops them w/ the .243 now.
BEFORE remote callers was the key... [Razz] Pot stirrer!
I just let it run and run and run. I haven't had much success with an e-caller yet. Still damn near a virgin with one. Had lots of crows and hawks swoop in and quite a few fox barking at me from long distance but... no blood yet. [Frown]

[ December 17, 2007, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I guess we should rate your reply appropriately? ha!

I love to pick on smithers! LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 02:47 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Answers

1. Stop them as soon as I know i can kill them or they may stop by them selves

2. I stop them by turning the caller off

3. I call continously unil I want to stop them

4. I start off loud then turn it down to a moderate volume after about 15 to 30 secs. a change in volume may cause an approaching coyotes to hang-up.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 06:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Notice, Leonard, that I gave no advice on stopping them when using a remote caller for that very reason. [Wink]
I purchased a J Stewart Attractor as soon as they came out and an M1 this past March. Mainly, I bought them because I call alone and thought it would up my odds of seeing call-ins before they saw me. I figured, that with the close cover siuations I mainly find myself in, it would be to my benefit to create some space between myself and the sound. It hasn't worked for me so far. Having said that...

I would assume that one would stop an animal anywhere that they felt comfortable shooting it, just as you would when using mouth calls. Atleast that's what I plan on doing, someday, anyday now.
One would also have to assume that the odds of an animal bugging out because the "positioning" or "stopping" sound came from over here instead of over there are slim, unless they are extremely pressured and jumpy. Anyway, if they do bug out and head for the hills, "they will stop! They always do!" LOL...

I had a screech owl land two feet from my head on an overhanging branch one night while using the J Stewart Attractor last year. Even when I batted at that little sumbitch, peeking through my fingers so it couldn't claw my eyes out, it would not fly away. It jumped two branches up and stared at me. That little owl scared the hell outta me. This past Friday I had a hawk do a fly-by. That is also pretty unnerving in the dead of night.

[ December 17, 2007, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 07:14 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Howler,
I don't have the experience of many of the callers here. What I do, when I dont totally lose it seeing a yote coming, is watch the dog.

Most of them that I see come in, come in pauses, shoot when they pause. If running in, almost anything will stop them, for 2 seconds max, be ready to shoot!.
sitting up, making a sound, moving at all, anything will stop them.
Rich Higgins and Rich Cronk forgot more about calling than I will ever know.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 07:59 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rich Higgins and Rich Cronk forgot more about calling than I will ever know
Now, Bofire, why in the hell would you lob a softball like that out there just to hang in the air until one of those guys hits it smack dab into the others' mouth hole? Waaaayyy too easy.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 09:33 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Some high-density coyotes require

400 yards....start barking
300 yards....remove hat and wave
200 yards....initiate jumping jacks

after that only hope of a standing shot is when the coyote stops and tilts head to drain a little water.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 09:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, You gotta love them hard chargers that you spot at 400 yards & roll with the shotgun at 40 yards.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2007 09:55 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy,
I took my dauther and her 10 year old friend hunting a couple of weeks ago.

A ten year old pointing and saying I SEE HIM works quite well when they are 175 yards out....

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 06:01 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, where are you going to find any high-density coyotes now days? Mentone, Texas? [Smile]
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 07:36 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing an hour or two away from Twentynine Palms.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 07:50 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Highly dense coyotes? I like to stop them at 300 yards and put 'em down. My Savage will stack 'em .25 MOA at that distance. Sincerely! [Wink]

"initiate jumping jacks." [Eek!]
That may work in Missouri but out here...

[ December 18, 2007, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: smithers ]

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
R.Shaw,
Those high density "city coyotes" in Arizonia are like that. Shucks, they ain't even afraid of human odor, or at least that is what Leonard told me. [Big Grin]

Lord, I apologize for that right up there and please be with the starving pygmies down there in Africa---Amen.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 09:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As I have always "maintained", you want high densities, scout around McNeal. Make the pilgrimage; I did.

Good hunting. LB

quote:
For the Electric call guys. I ahve a few questions.
1. when do you stop the coytes for a shot

2. how do you stop them

3. what do you do with the caller leave it on turn it off.

4. Do you turndown the volume when the coyote gets close or let er rip.

#1, this question has been answered very well, and considering all the different circumstances, you just have to watch the body language, and also if he starts to veer off downwind. That will tell you if you need to stop him, or let him come in on a string.

#2, Again, depending on his actions, completely duped, you may want to give him a lip squeak? Movement can work for you, as will messing with the volume on the machine. Usually, they check up for at least a little bit, if you turn the volume down. I vote for not messing with the caller, in MOST situations involving a single. A "whoop" or a low "woof" will work in many cases. A pup distress will stop many coyotes even after they have figured things out, again, thinking of multiples, etc.

#3 I guess I have answered this question, as far as my own opinion? But, I will say that, in terms of controlling the situation, more things can go wrong by fiddling with the caller, changing sound, lowering the volume, shutting it off; than the predictability of leaving well enough alone. Select a reasonable volume level after the first series and drop it down a peg or so. If they are anywhere around they heard it, so you don't really need max volume for twenty minutes.

#4 I guess I already answered this too, from a personal preference? Yes, you can work the volume level as it suits you, depending on wind conditions, etc., but don't wait until you start having an anxiety attack, and let the coyote play you, rather than you being in control of the situation. Calm, deliberate actions will solve many tactical situations, and if you can't learn from your mistakes, you will be kicking yourself more frequently than is necessary.

We all make mistakes, and we all lose a coyote now and then. Get over it, and make sure the next one dies.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 10:50 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
"As I have always "maintained"

Lenbo, your catching on!

MAINTAIN, Geordie

[ December 18, 2007, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: CrossJ ]

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 03:41 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, You guessed it.

-

Randy

[ December 18, 2007, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: R.Shaw ]

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2007 09:05 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of "upper" you using on those coyotes Shaw?, or are you using a different "lower" [Smile]
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters