The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » how about being good at making it sound like a howl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how about being good at making it sound like a howl
coyote bait
PAKMAN
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 04:27 PM      Profile for coyote bait   Email coyote bait         Edit/Delete Post 
my partner says it sounds good . do you think it realy matters ? When you hear coyotes, lots of times they sound all garbled up .So maby how good you are at it, might not make that much differance.thanks for the feed back all. Al I feel like I got an autograph, with your response.

--------------------
coyote bait Be as good as the best ,and better than the rest.

Posts: 5 | From: Frankfort MI. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 07:13 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I've listen to alot of different callers howl, and some sound like the real thing and not to many callers howl alike either. But they all get results with there style of howling and i think you don't have to be perfect just get it close and call it good.. I hunted with a guy that had some vantastic howls which sounded like the coyote was sitting right there and howling, but later i found his howls to be no better than the other guys as far as bringing them in. So just howl the best you can and good luck..T.A.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 05:18 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel that it's critical to sound "perfect" what ever that is. But sounding better as in all things doesn't hurt.

Sometime to get a better prespective on howling you and a partner should seperate yourselves by 5, 600 yards to see what each other sounds like at a distance. You could also back off until you can no longer hear each, other try diffent calls etc you maybe suprised at what you learn. A good pair of radios would help in this exercise.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 06:20 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
coyote bait
Ive heard some coyotes that dont sound all that good.
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 06:38 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
"Al I feel like I got an autograph, with your response."

That's rich... you'll learn who some of these other guys are. No offense to Al.

I agree with Albert and PM 100%. If you locate yourself properly it doesn't matter as much,to me, what you sound like. Quality counts when the pressure is high, in my opinion.
I still try to sound as close as possible, which isn't all that hard. Learn what you are saying to them and you should be good.

IP: Logged
Varmint Al
Member # 537

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 11:04 AM      Profile for Varmint Al   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my opinion on how a howl sounds to a distant coyote:

HOW YOUR HOWL SOUNDS TO THE COYOTE.... One thing to remember is that the howl that you are making is going to be heard way out there, maybe 400 yards or more. It does not sound to the coyote like it does to you as you make the howl. It might sound raspy or not perfect to you, but at that distance the coyote merely hears a "howl". All of the detail that you can hear as you are blowing the howl is lost as the sound travels 400 yards or more. The higher frequency sound details are attenuated more traveling through the air than lower frequencies. If the coyote was sitting right next to you he would know that the howl is fake, but at a distance he can't tell the difference. Coyote howling works. Get a howler and give it a try. It is easy to talk the coyote with practice.

Here is what I call a "Chatter" howl. I hear coyotes making this sound on an Island north of us in the evening. This is high pitched and like a younger coyote made with the E.L.K. Power Howler. Chatter Howl http://www.varmintal.com/elkchatterhowl.mp3

Good Hunting... from Varmint Al  -

--------------------
Good Hunting... from Varmint Al[img]http://www.varmintal.com/coyotel.gif[/img]

Posts: 11 | From: Bethel Island, CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are always welcome here, Varmint Al. I get a lot of hits coming from your page, and I appreciate the link. Thanks much, LB

PS good sound!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 02:12 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
damn that sounded good.......I need more practice.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 03:38 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Very good sound, Al.
Here's another take to consider. Jaeger, Mitchell, Barrett and Makagon, published a paper entitled "Information Content of Coyote Barks and Howls" in which they conducted discriminate analysis of spectrograms of recorded barks and howls. They concluded that because of the large variations in the shape, length and volume of the coyotes supralaryngeal vocal tract, coyotes howls are individually specific, meaning that coyotes can recognize the voices, the howls, of coyotes that are known to them.
Mike has told me that the coyotes ear has evolved over the course of 15,000 years to detect close range mouse squeaks and long distance howls. The physiological and anatomical structure of the coyotes ear is different from a humans ears and they probably hear, or at least perceive long distance howls, including the degradation of the sound, differently than we do. Relatively, 400 yards is very close range for coyote howls and in optimum conditions they are able to hear and understand howls many miles distant.

IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
If we could only fashion a howler with more than one reed that would allow us to produce a sound that included low, medium and higher pitched frequenciewe'd certainly have them by the left side for sure. I think that the fact that all howlers are single reed limits our capabilities at reproducing howls accurately.

Rich,

I was thinking the exact same thing. You just beat me to it. [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2008 12:02 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, With a power howler you Can change howling tones.

I believe it is important, how good you sound on a howler.

JD

[ January 05, 2008, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: canine ]

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2008 12:59 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you take a turkey to a turkey callin' contest, he'll loose every time..."

My brother says it all the time, usually after some animal demonstrates poor vocal skills.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
With a Cronk howler, it is easy to sound like a coyote of any age or size. That means that you could actually imitate the howls of three different coyotes. You could also imitate distress crys of adult or puppy. Shucks you can even do the famous "estrous chirps" if you were so inclined. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 11:36 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
""If you take a turkey to a turkey callin' contest, he'll loose every time..."

My brother says it all the time, usually after some animal demonstrates poor vocal skills.

Krusty

I dont agree with that at all! Were did that come from?

Depends on weather the judges no what a Turkey sounds like or not! Not always the case in a contest. And lots of other factors.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters