The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Porcupine Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Porcupine Problem
JeremyKS
Knows what it's all about
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 07:04 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
I need some help in removing a problem porcupine. This porcupine is living near a old abandoned house and it is wrecking havoc on the trees. Any tips on how to find this sucker? I have seen them active in the daytime but would a guy have better luck trying to find it at night with a spot light? Any ideas how to get it?

[ February 19, 2008, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: JeremyKS ]

Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 07:07 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I find that setting a trap for a bobcat works well. My cat sets end up with porcupines. If I want a badger, I make a coyote set. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 07:12 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
haha thanks for help [Smile]
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 07:32 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I know absolutely zilch about porcupines but did find this. It may give you an idea...

Porcupines in search of salt, blah blah, encroach on human habitats, eating plywood cured with sodium nitrate, yada yada, tool handles, footwear, clothes coated in salty sweat. Porcupines are attracted to roads where rock salt is used and are known to gnaw on vehicle tires or wiring coated in road salt. Salt licks placed nearby can prevent porcupine damage.
Natural sources of salt consumed by porcupines include varieties of salt-rich plants (such as yellow water lily and aquatic liverwort), fresh animal bones, outer tree bark, mud in salt-rich soils, and objects impregnated with urine.

[ February 19, 2008, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2008 08:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much help this is, but a majority of the porcupines that I see are at night. I have shot a few by mistake, at a distance they sometimes look like a badger. I don't know if they could be described as nocturnal but that's (usually) when I see them, so maybe a light is the way to go, but they don't respond to a call worth a darn?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 10 posted February 19, 2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Make any sound like salt and you got him. :-) (Can't figure out how to put in a smiley).

If there aren't too many trees to look though, I've seen them up trees many times at night when we've come to a few trees in dry open country. Any dog I've ever had would find one also.

I'd be curious to see what happened if you bait a trap with something salty, like a piece of cloth wet with strong salt water. Put it in the back of a cubby set to guide him onto the trap pan. They don't seem too smart about traps.

[ February 19, 2008, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 05:02 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
On a day that your wife has big plans, and needs you home to help. Take a dog on an early morning hunt, while promising your wife that you will be home soon.

The dog with find the porcupine on the way back to the truck.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 06:31 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Tims method works almost as well as a bobcat set. I have used that method also. Bring your pliers! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 07:04 AM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have already used the dog technique, luckily he didn't get it too bad. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the porcupine that caused him pain. About a week later he treed one in our front yard and I got that one. Interesting note on the salt.

[ February 20, 2008, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: JeremyKS ]

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 07:30 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, porcupines love salt. They would eat up our wooden salt boxes used for cattle in a few years. Another thing they love to eat is feed grain for cattle. We had some feeders for calves and the porcupines would get into them and shit the feeder up. We would go out a few hours after dark and shoot the porkys around and in the feeders. Initially we though it was the work of just a few porcupines, but we ended up killing over 30 over several nights.

I'd go out after dark with a light and see what you can find.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 09:08 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much help, but I've seen a few pocupines while night hunting. I don't know if it was just my view of each one at the time or what, but I found it odd that not once did I see eyes reflecting. All I saw was a slow moving black blob? Like Leonard said, they most all made me think badger, but I never saw eyes.
Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 12:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's right Joel. I should have mentioned that, they don't lite up very well. If they do, I have not seen it? I have heard kangaroos are the same way.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 05:01 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
jEREMY dONT THROW THE HIDS AWAY THE qUILLS ARE WORTH pritty good money!
I would love to get a few porkies good Money
Good Luck on your hunt
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 05:45 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
ive heard that but didn't know who would buy them?
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 07:19 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
If you get a hid pm me and I will get you a name to ship to.
I wish I had more porkies thay are way more profitabole than coyotes
Good Hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy, you should find a culvert, hole in the ground or a tree that the porky is callin home. should be nearby, it will be a BO smelly mess with numerous droppings around the entrance.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2008 07:08 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a couple of years ago, we had porcipine problems at the treatment plant where I work. We called in the local ADC guy, and he set several live traps and used cut apples with a healthy dose of salt on the pieces of apple. Only took him a few days before we found a porcipine in one of his traps. He came and removed the critter, and his traps, and about a week later, one of my fellow employees found more fresh porcipine tracks in fresh snow. Well, I was the person on call that next weekend, and with the fresh snow, I was able to track the second porcipine to a culvert where I'd guess they were both calling home, and a .357 took care of the second procipine.
So as everyone has already said, they love salt. So maybe set up a little bait station with some fresh cut apples covered in salt, and once they start hitting it, go out after dark with a light, ya might find them on the bait. I'd guess that you're fast enough to run one down if'n ya do catch'em on the bait pile. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2008 06:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
S.D. had a porcupine problem yesterday. I took care of it with the 17 HMR.. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 06:55 AM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Well after many efforts of spot lighting and trapping I finally got one. None of my efforts paid off as she just showed up in my front yard with my dogs chasing it around. Hey Kevin do you still have a guy that will buy them or does anybody else know somebody that will buy the quills?
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 08:19 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave mine to Randy Roede. Maybe he can help you out....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2008 09:23 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
www.furbuyer.com
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters