The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » things you see in an Antelope Blind (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: things you see in an Antelope Blind
howler
Knows what it's all about
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 04:55 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
haven't been around in a while but getting to be "almost that time of the year" Anyway while bowhunting Antelope the other day I had a couple of visitors but no shots.

-

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MULE
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 06:51 PM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck on your hunt howler

Getting a goat with a bow is an accomplishment for sure.

Has it been hot up there? If so, it looks like you are set up in the right place.

Good luck and thanks for the pic

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 07:44 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
3 days ago it was 101 degree's today it was mid 60's, But going to warm up soon, they will be thirsty and I'll be waiting. this guy bedded down about 50 yards from my blind and gave no shot but he will soon I just have to be there when he takes a drink. some other photo's I took while waiting:

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2008 11:31 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures howler. How long do you stay in that blind? How big is it? Were you tempted to call for the coyote? Did you?

I'm going for the first time for elk this year with archery equiptment too. I leave a week from today! Please let us know how you did. [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2008 07:07 AM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a double bull matrix and I get in at day break 0530 or so and I get out about 1/2 hour b4 sundown. I'm not real keen on this type of hunting [Frown] I really like to decoy the antelope and cruise the hills and sage. [Big Grin] but I am doing this this year.

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 11:22 AM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Howler,
Can you explain a little how you use your decoy please? This is my first year bowhunting antelope and I am on a bit of a learning curve.

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2008 05:08 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
Lungbuster: Ok here are a few tips, Here in Northern Mt the best time to decoy is between Sept 15 and the 25th, what I do is find a concentration of antelope and then just get out of my outfit and walk, i try to find a breeding herd with a buck, I like to watch the herd for a while if the buck is activly chasing away other bucks from the herd this is a very good canidate, try to close the gap to about 100 yards and then put the decoy up sit behind it and try to keep tabs on the buck he will most likely be there in a few seconds, you think the jamacia sprint teams are fast they don't hold a candle to an buck antlelope, when the buck comes he will most generaly come to with in 5 to 10 yards and turn broadside, it is then you raise up SLOWLY and take your shot, don't hurry it you will miss take you r time, if you raise up to fast it will spook the antelope, while scouting and loking for a buck to decoy do not let them see you. and watch the wind they use their nose and won't come in if they scent you, they don't spook like a whitetail or an elk but the jig is up if they scent you. some guys use a fence line to set up along so the antelope won't circle downwind, If he is hot and running off other bucks he will mostl likely jsut come running in and not use the wind

-

-

[ August 24, 2008, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: howler ]

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 05:35 AM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll give it a try.... Do you have any reccomendations for decoys?
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2008 06:13 AM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mel Dutton is the old standard, and works very well, the Camandalope is hard to find and works equaly as well, the most realistic is the antelope decoy from Montana decoys but its made of cloth and moves to much in the wind. The antelope really aren't all that particular

[ August 25, 2008, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: howler ]

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.... what kind is that in your pic?
MULE
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2008 09:27 PM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
Hole Mole!!!

Howler is not only bowshooting his speedgoat but he is using a longbow!!!

Well done sir!!

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2008 02:57 AM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
It home made, patternd after the mel dutton

here is #7
 -

[ August 28, 2008, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: howler ]

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 05:59 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try and build one, I was out again today and cant seem to get within the 75 yard mark. I keep running out of cover.
My fat ass cant hide in 6 inch tall grass.....

Do you get complete pass thru's with that set up?
Cool pic.

[ August 29, 2008, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Lungbuster ]

howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2008 06:22 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
check out the top arrow in the bow quiver, looks like its been thru a critter to me lol

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buck howler!

Do you use a grunt call in addition to the decoy?

--------------------

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2008 07:25 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
P.S. I'd like to hear the story. How did it all come together? I thought you were using a blind and waiting for the goats to water?

--------------------

Cranky Farmer
Member # 3029

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Cranky Farmer   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some great pictures! I've never hunted antelope and didn't know you could decoy them like that. Pretty darn cool!

--------------------
~Heath

Posts: 68 | From: SoCal | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2008 08:33 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Loco, it looks like that is a pic from a previous year... I'd still like to hear the story though....
howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 09:03 AM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
that buck was a satillite buck, I watched him and 2 others terrorize a herd buck for an hour or so I was actually moving in on the herd buck but this guy came in first so I took advantage of the situation, I am not a trophy hunter per se for antelope so one is as good as the next. I did hit him just a tad low, he was about 5 yards away when I shot standing broadside, it is really amazing when you come up over the top of the decoy if you move slowly they well stand right there, its as if they just can't believe what they are seeing. You don't have all day to shoot but plenty of time to make a nice controlled shot.I have shot several over a decoy and that is my perferred method, but this year I will be in Manitoba Deer hunting during the peak of the antelope rut so I thought I would hunt a waterhole. the waterhole hunt is very unique in that you get to see lots of other critters. like this for intance
 -
ha deer season won't be open for another week.
anyway sitting in a blind is hard work for sure it can get almost unbearable hot in there and you go for hours with out seeing anything, but it can be worth it like maybe having something like this come in.
 -
here is a buck I shot a few years ago with a recurve, he came in trying to run me off only it didn;t work, also notice the top arrow in the quiver, I like that habit
 -

[ September 04, 2008, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: howler ]

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice!!!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 04:46 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics...thanks.

Is the antelope in the second pic out of range?

howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2008 07:29 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have a zoom on the digetal

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2008 06:57 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice pics howler. Also appreciate the traditional and primative weapons. I used to use a Mel Dutton decoy a number of years ago and had a 14 1/2" buck broadside at 20 yards. Don't ask how I missed but I did. It is amazing how much time you have when you come over the top. I was always going to build a camo veil to hang below to allow for more movement. I tried to utilize cover that gave me a little more edge and try to get the bucks to come to me. Lots of fun. I shot a Dan Quillian Patriot recurve. Thinking about going back to a compound because I don't have the time to practive enough with my recurve to shoot proficiently. There truly is nothing like hunting with a recurve or longbow. Again, nice job!

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley; Have you ever tried shooting '3 fingers under with a canted bow'??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2008 05:43 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
K,

I shot index finger above and two fingers below the nock with my middle finger to the corner of my mouth. I didn't trust the old style nocks enough not to squeeze them between my figers. Most hunting situations (kneeling, shooting under or over cover, etc.) require some degree of cant with a recurve or longbow.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters