The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » another what did it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another what did it
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 06:23 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
This pic is from a friend of mine who took it while shed hunting last weekend. It is a deer carcus in the tree. What put it there?

-

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 06:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, Aliens. This is in Missouri, right?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 06:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Big Cat, Coyote hunter useing it for bait or high water flood..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 06:41 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
It is in MO about 9 miles east of my house.

Randy

stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 06:43 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Cat.

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 07:25 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Tornado......
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 07:35 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
..about 9 miles east of my house.
My guess is Pug the JRT is involved...lol

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2009 09:44 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Checked with the guy this morning. No chance of a flood doing it. No tornados in the area. There was some meat and hide, so figure less than 3 months old.

Unless somebody put it up there for a joke, you got me.

Everyone here is saying lion,of course, but looks pretty difficult for a lion to climb up that tree carrying 120 pounds of deer? Also, was unaware that lions did that. Thought they killed, ate, and covered. All on the ground.

Randy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2009 09:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I'm no lion expert, but they are the exact opposite of leopards, which have to hang their kill to keep it from the hyenas and lions. Mountain lions almost always cover their kills with leaves and dirt. The difference is the leopards do this so they can eat without challenges. The mountain lion covers what is left, after he is full, and probably knows that birds and coyotes will find it. Seems like a totally different scenario?

I'm thinking human involvement....

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2009 10:11 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Something scared the deer real bad, it jumped into the tree to "get away", and then found itself stuck?? [Big Grin] OR maybe a human pulled it up there? was the head/skull still attached?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 27, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm changing my vote back to Aliens.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Never underestimate the power of stupid people after coyotes Randy.

I've seen chickens hung by their feet, turkeys by their necks, pigs with T-post driven thru them and housecats dangling from nooses. I could take you to a few "staked" and "stuck" deer carcasses in this county right now- all placed by perspective coyote snipers.

The ones you've got to watch for are the deer skeletons surrounded by possums, buzzards and hawks in various stages of decay. That's when a "classless" act turned into a "Class D".

[ February 27, 2009, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Jrbhunter ]

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2009 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
way too deep for me, Jason?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2009 04:47 PM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to be a rabid coon, has to be.

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Knows what it's all about
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2009 11:22 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Cougars do occasionally drag their kills up a tree.

I've personally never witnessed it. All the kills I've seen were covered/uncovered on the ground like you guys said.

Where I did see it was on a documentary about mountain lions. They filmed this male lion from birth to adulthood. At one point in the movie he kills a doe and drags it up a tree. Quite easily too. It was an average size deer. Not huge but not small. The young lion proceeded to bring the carcass down the tree for the next 3 days to feed on it, each time putting it back in the tree. It was amazing watching it grab on to that deer with it's jaws and climb up the tree. They posses some amazing strength.

Don't know if that is what happened in the above pic. Looks like an awkward tree for a lion to put a deer in. Dunno.

Good hunting

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
xtremehunteraz
Member # 3429

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2009 01:41 PM      Profile for xtremehunteraz   Email xtremehunteraz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree , I vote for the lion
Posts: 12 | From: Peoria AZ | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm? This is Missouri, ya know? What are the chances that a stray lion wanders into Missouri who also has the unusual habit of hanging his kill in a tree, and all flesh just melts off, no bones disturbed, because he happens to be a fastidious eater?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about lion populations in Missouri, but about the bones being picked clean, I'm guessing birds could have assisted.

Might have been a trapper who was trying to lure predators to his sets.

Or a hunter trying to make the area more attractive to predators.

Might have been pretty much consumed when someone or something placed it up there.

All just guesses though. Randy, what do you think?

Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, did the guy mention how high up the tree it was?

Another thought is maybe a consumed winter kill that an eagle managed to get off the ground for a ways before losing it's grasp. [Confused]

R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2009 10:49 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a couple of confirmed lion sightings around here. One about 40 miles south of me on a trail cam which was verified by the MDC team which investigates such things. Another, about 40 miles north that was run in a tube by hounds and killed.

No doubt there is an occasional one that drifts through the general area every few years or so, but to listen to the coffee shop talk you would think they are thick. We get lots of snow and I have never seen a track. I usually just repeat something Vic once said....You would have never seen it, if you hadn't believed it. LOL

I think someone put it up the tree during deer season as a joke to prolong the whole lion myth. Actually, I wish I would have thought of it. Propping-up mangy, frozen coyotes in sight of the road is getting kinda old. LOL

Randy

Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a heck of a good joke. I think I know where the ribcage from next years deer is going. lol!
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2009 09:15 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
The first mistake anyone could make is to assume the carcass was consumed in the tree. I would guess the carcass was consumed on the ground and the rib cage placed in the tree by a person or raptor. Could have been a trapper using the rib cage as a predator attractant.

A lion wouldn't drag a rib cage into the tree. For a lion to drag a full carcass up a tree would be almost as rare. As you mentioned Randy, according to the lion experts, most lions consume their prey on the ground and cache the remains under scratched up ground trash.

I'm betting on a trapper using the rib cage as an attractant.

~SH~

[ March 11, 2009, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I remember an area I rolled through last year, practically every tree had ribcages stuck up in the branches, sometimes two or three! Stupid me, I was thinking witchcraft or aliens but now, thanks to Scott, I understand what was going on.......

Good hunting. LB [Smile]

[ March 14, 2009, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2009 01:49 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah cuz nobody mentioned that before... [Wink]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters