The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Killing anything? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Killing anything?
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 5 posted October 15, 2009 04:09 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I went for a short walk last night with my top of the line, Ed Screery CD quality caller last night.

Nothing came in to the Jackrabbit sounds, so I switched to a bird sound and a few mintues later dropped a coyote in his tracks at 27 paces.

I'm going out again at first light, those SOB's have been howling since 1 AM keeping the dogs stirred up and not letting me sleep.

How are you doing?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 05:17 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I've been trying to kill a deer with my recurve. Had 6 bucks on my right side at 15 yards with no shot so I keep hoping for a rematch.

I got a new CS24 caller in awhile back and haven't had it out yet. Been too busy reading TA, TW and THO... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 05:18 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tim B.
Still raining and snowing here so i have plenty of time to hunt, way too much corn and beans in the field yet..So i'm just killing time at the moument.. [Big Grin]

Tom let us know how the CS24 works out,oh and we want pic's.. [Big Grin] [Razz]

[ October 15, 2009, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5086 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 05:36 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My partner Tim and I have been out hunting two days now. Got eight coyotes so far. Looks like the YoY are back, we've got three of them already, which is three times as many as all of last season. Seems like it is kinda shaping up to be a tough season though. From what I'm hearing and what little I'm seeing, I think most of my areas have been getting called pretty hard for a couple months already now.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 06:19 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Been popping one or two after work in the evenings pretty steady.
Looks like it will be a good year.

TA - I got a CS24. It works real good.
Kelly

[ October 15, 2009, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 08:19 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw a bear up on the Rim that was bigger than Oprah Winfrey; couldn't get a shot.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7589 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 02:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that bears grew that big!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 03:56 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a VERY nice bear; just not very sociable. Maybe next time...

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7589 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 04:04 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still trying to kill a deer. Passed on a spindly 3x3 this morning....
Coyote tracks everywhere though....

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 06:46 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Are bears like women? Size doesn't matter as long as they have a nice personality? [Big Grin]

Tim, as far as the original ?, yes, and no. Missing more than I'm killing. Called one Sunday morning and just plain screwed things up. No excuses.

Matt is on leave from the USAF and wanted to put in a day of calling so we went out Tuesday morning. Were admiring a BIG bobcat that I brought out of a weedy ravine when two coyotes appeared fifty yards further west. They circled and got our wind before they were within my shotgun range. Matt had his rifle but couldn't get a clear shot. Called another single that Matt took a long shot at - 400 yards, give or take. Missed cleanly. LOL

Hit a hillside near our 20-coyote section I spoke of several months ago and brought in two singles. Killed one, and merely assaulted the other about 8 yards from where the first lie. Matt shooting, not me. Selfish bastard wouldn't let them get into shotgun range for me. But, that's okay. I've got all season to hunt. I was just glad to get him a chance or three to warm a barrel.

[ October 15, 2009, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 08:58 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Running hard. still seeing some family groups together but starting to see some good disperal movement.Rifle season ended today so it should pick up.

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 09:35 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be busy with work until the second week in November. I doubt I will be able to catch up with you early birds but I will give it a try!LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alaska Dave
PAKMAN
Member # 565

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 09:12 AM      Profile for Alaska Dave   Email Alaska Dave         Edit/Delete Post 
They're just starting on chopping the corn so am getting ready. When the coyotes run the corn it's about impossible to get them. In the past have had them run by at 2 rows over. Hard to swing shotgun, thats why I switched to pistol.

--------------------
Hunt Smart, Hunt Safe

Posts: 5 | From: Southeast Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 02:29 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I couldn't take it any longer, so I did one stand this morning. I should call it quits for the season. 1 stand, 1 coyote, 1 shot. Batting 1000%. Not often that I can say that!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Been wacking a few, but am using my early season control areas. Went to wide open wild area today, got one, 7 stands. My early season farm areas will get going soon.
carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 06:51 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I called a heavy 8 pointer into about 40 yards with my CS24 this morning. Along with a smaller 10 point and 2 does, the 8 and 10 sparred for a bit and I hit buck fight on the caller. They both walked the other way cause I'm shooting a recurve but the caller worked well.

I spotted a coyote mousing at the other end of my field, called him to about 50 yards and the wind hit him in the face. Soon...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dusty Hunter
Member # 1031

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 08:07 PM      Profile for Dusty Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Eight Coyote, one bobcat and released another bobcat. My most recent coyote was taken with Leonard's misting formula. She was about 30 yards down wind of me, hung up behind three Joshua trees. She was getting ready to leave when I refreshed the air with the mist, did some rodent squeaks and out she jumped. You know the rest of the story.

edited for spelling

[ October 17, 2009, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Dusty Hunter ]

Posts: 346 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 08:22 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you are still calling them in Fred. I suppose you won't be needing the cs24 to soon. [Razz]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5086 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 09:45 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
32 Coyotes thus far. looks like slim pickins this season. Predictions of a El Nino this Winter. That will produce a good numbers of Predators in a couple years in the Southwest.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Done four stands this month, one of those was sitting against the front tractor tire 30 yards from the house, 11:30 at night, the last full moon a couple weekends ago. I've had a coyote hanging around the house close, almost hitting it with the jeep one night coming down the driveway, so I was hoping to call her in. But on this night as I walked outside I had a few howling in the section NW of me over a mile, really calm night, sound traveling for ever. I got situated, placing a homemade dual cone speakered e-coaxer west of me 10 yards. I blow a short series on the handcall and the coyotes NW of me go silent. The mp3 has been playing 3 minutes of silence and then starts playing low volume baby cottontail cries. I sit, watching, waiting for the coyotes NW of me to show up. After no time at all I catch movement beside me to my left (south) 15 feet away, coyote had come from behind me. I swing the old NEF singleshot 12 gauge, the coyote takes a studder step in surprise, then she turns to run straight away and hits the afterburners as I drop the hammer and light the fire. The first shot take out both back legs and she rolls. I stand up, reloading, pulling the hammer back, she tries to escape in front wheel drive and doesn't get very far as the second shot broke both front legs and other bones as well. The old fixed mod singleshot shooting 3" #2 hevishot broke another coyote down, 27lb female. And the short drag back to the house was really nice. [Big Grin]

Other than that, been pretty slow. Not much time to call, been working alot of hours, but that helps me appreciate the time outdoors that much more.

later,
scruffy

[ October 19, 2009, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2009 08:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Former gunner and current Airman 2nd class Matt "click" Kohman and I saw a few coyotes and a big old tom bobcat and got a piece of one coyoteeeee. I let Click do the shooting and he tagged this nice little female. We had a good time.

-

--------------------

JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 01:33 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing is for sure some seasons start better than others. This is the 16th coyote since I started on Oct 1st. I hunt public land and use a Crit-R-Call and an open reed howler.  -
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a pretty picture, John. Well framed and balanced. You know something about composing a photograph.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31492 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 04:12 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard, I enjoy taking pictures and looking at pictures that others have taken that shows the different types of terrain. Also the different color phases of the coyotes.
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
What caliber is your handrifle chambered in?....nice coyote.
Posts: 1633 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters