The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » First in the state!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First in the state!
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that I killed the first coon of the 09-10 season in Kansas this afternoon, and when I say that, I mean barely after noon.

Furharvesting season in KS opened at noon today. At 11:58 am, I sat patiently to one side of a small cottonwood snag, the M-1 resting beneath it with its green power light glowing ever so softly. Using the clock readout on my cell phone, I waited for the numbers to change to "12:00". As soon as they did, I hit the first pair of buttons on my remote and within fifteen seconds, the first coon called this season was sticking its pretty little nose out to check things out. Three minutes later, it finally committed and came face to face with a load of #4 buckshot.

I seriously doubt that anyone else in the state was into the fur any quicker. LOL

That was the high point. I hit seven more den trees that have historically been big producers and came up blank. One new tree that I stumbled upon last week while calling other vermin sure seemed like a sure thing. As I put the caller alongside the tree and off to one side, two coons were giving one another the red ass just a few feet above my head. I was sure that they'd come out and play, but all they did in response to the calling was go to their corners and be very, very quiet.

There's many more days to get them over the next several months. And,... I will.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2009 07:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You should probably 'do' something with that pelt. It ought to be good for a few memories on 'How we did it back in 09' when you hit geezer-hood.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
oslo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3517

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2009 06:41 PM      Profile for oslo   Email oslo         Edit/Delete Post 
Good going! Way to get into the fur!
Posts: 19 | From: socal | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters