The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » reasonable distance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: reasonable distance
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2010 08:55 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
whats a resonable distance to kill a coyote? 100 200 feet or yards? at what distance can a newbie expect to kill A Coyote? what distance you have to kill one to be consicered a pro?

bye the way leonard hello

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2010 12:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello yourself, Amigo! Thanks for the call.

Did you say you've got 640 feet so far this year? That's quite a season. 22 coyotes in one day is also damned good! You've come a long way, Pilgrim. I'm proud of ya!

Good hunting. LB

PS FYI bounty system up there is all four feet.

edit: I'm gonna say between 100 and 200 yards.

[ February 11, 2010, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stiknstringbow
Member # 3571

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Stiknstringbow           Edit/Delete Post 
As a newbie, the only 2 coyotes I have killed have been, 1 at 10 feet, and one at 25 yards.
Although I was turkey hunting and not coyote hunting, they thought I was lunch!!

--------------------
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs

Posts: 35 | From: Chehalis | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2010 10:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New Huntmasters, Stiknstringbow. Glad to have you on board.

I wouldn't say that your experience is typical.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stiknstringbow
Member # 3571

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2010 10:49 AM      Profile for Stiknstringbow           Edit/Delete Post 
I know it is not typical, I really wasn't expecting to see coyotes, but after I called in my 3rd one, I decided to get ready for the next one, and what do you know.
They came running in to my turkey set-ups so I figured out why turkey hunting in the area was soo lousy.
That is one reason I decided to start killing the b-tards.
All together that weekend trip I called in 8 coyotes, usually in pairs.

--------------------
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs

Posts: 35 | From: Chehalis | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2010 11:03 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lonny!.....?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 09:53 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't know shooting coyotes at any given distance came with a "pro" rating. With that said one of my partners and I were discussing our preferred range to shoot coyotes just yesterday. If given a choice we both prefer to shoot them 75 to a 100 yards. We have killed many closer and further, but darn few coyotes get away if they are standing still between 75 to 100 yards. Under 75 yards bad things seem to happen especially if they are moving. Over 100 yards judging distance becomes and issue especially beyond the 300 yard mark. Then again what caliber you are using and how flat it shoots also should be factored in.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
When the shot cup bounces off of the coyote and they're both laying there together is about right.

Did I mention that I like brush & shotguns????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 05:07 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I know of one coyote hunter that has killed a bunch of coyotes that kept accurate records. His average kill range was 80-89 yards. He gave the exact yardage; but I don't remember the exact range, only that it was 80 something.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 05:07 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, until you get some experience under your belt, I would keep shots under 50 yards. After you have hunted a couple of seasons, you will be able to claim a solid 30 years of experience (the way some film makers call it), and you will be able to stretch that distance way on out to 100 yards or better.

Hang in there buddy. Keep your AJ Syrup and Skippy PB handy and you should have no problem gettin em in range!!!

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, I forgot to mention, if you use a custom rifle, capable of .2s or .3s, if you do your part, and a good Barska scope, or, if you use an AR 15 with a 30 round clip, you could possibly accelerate your curve and be killin yotes with ease at longer ranges!!! Of course, if you do your part, as always!

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 06:53 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a reasonable distance? Pretty subjective question, if you ask me, and since I read it here, I guess you did. How far is reasonable depends upon so many personal variables, such as how comfortable you are with the rifle you're using, handloads versus factory ammo, optics, trigger, custom gun versus out of the box versus somewhere in between, and, of course, how far you're used to shooting.

Until about three years ago, I would have said that a reasonable distance for me was anything under 150 yards. That was okay because 90% of my coyotes were easily called to that range or closer. Anything beyond that was easy to pass on because I rarely took those shots and could qualify my misgivings about taking those "long range" pokes (aka, anything beyond 150 yards) on the basis of personal ethics (knowing my limitations).

Then, I got some time under my belt hunting alongside Q in the wide open spaces of the Nebraska panhandle and NE Colorado and witnessed some phenomenal shooting talent, and talent it is because few people possess the natural ability that Q has to kill coyotes at ranges well beyond 350-400 yards, running or standing still. He and I have conversed on a couple different occasions about how he got to the point where he could make those shots, and his answer to that question was simple: He began taking shots that other guys would never even attempt. I took that advice to heart and began stretching my limits last season. I began by tweaking a gun I was comfortable with by putting it in a stock that fit me well, topped it with quality, reputable optics, spent a lot of time on the living room floor with snap caps learning the trigger and developing some muscle memory for the actual process from shouldering to follow through to pressing the trigger without pulling. Topped that off with some bench time and my comfortable distance extended from 150 yards to 300 yards in no time. Started this season off with a 338 lasered yard kill at a coyote quartering right to left and away at a 3/4 run - a shot that I wouldn't have even taken four years ago, let alone made. Today, shots beyond 250-300 bare as easy for me to take as that 100 yard shot was five years ago, because it's my new "normal". My new average is now probably closer to 250 yards, with a range of anywhere from twenty yards out to over 400 just this season. I pass on far fewer shots because they look a long ways out.

Strangely - and I bet that the shooters here with years under their belts will testify to having the same experience - if I sit on stand and try to think through scenarios about what I'll do if the coyote first appears here, or there, or over there, you'll get yourself all sorts of nervy waiting for things to break. But, if you just sit, get yourself comfortable, check the elevation of your sticks or bipod by shouldering your gun and checking for range of motion and swing and just generally making sure you're ready to go to work when things do break loose, you'll be so ready when they do that you'll automatically go into the zone and, afterwards, even have some trouble recalling the subtle details of what just happened. That's the weird part - after a few hundred coyotes, they appear, you react, muscle memory brings you and the gun together, you aim, you squeeze and the gun recoils. You expect to hear the bang - whop! and the one thing that can bring you right out of the zone is the absence of that deafening whop! of the bullet popping the coyote's chest.

Reasonable distance is what is comfortable to you where you are in the evolution of your shooting skills. As much as you'd like to kill coyotes at distance like some of these guys, it just won't happen until you've put in the time like they have. Practice...

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 07:22 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Hootie, that pretty much sums it up for me at least. I remember a thread here where ArShaw and Unknown, were asking why limit yourself with a gun that is a solid 100 yard gun? Why not use a gun better suited for longer ranges? They kill just as good up close too.

Me being a machinegunner, had a bolt action 243AI throwed together and with practice, turrets and a range finder, my average is being stretched further than the truth on PM.

Of course I'm also getting a long range machine gun throwed together as well...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2010 08:47 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
predatorhunter
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 09:09 AM      Profile for predatorhunter   Email predatorhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the closer shots are the hardest. I've hit coyotes at 150yds. moving and missed coyotes at 50yds. standing still. It's a matter of practice . Learning to judge distance and bullet trajectory for the caliber you shoot goes a long way towards taking an accurate shot. Like Cdog and Ta said after some practice and experience it eventually becomes automatic reaction.

--------------------
In efforts to conserve electricity,the light at the end of the tunnel has now been turned off!

Posts: 76 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 09:16 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog911,
That was a very informative post, thanks.
I'm lucky if I can even find a spot that's 300 yards, let alone shoot and hit an animal that far.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ridge Runner
Being a very careful person, I have always bagged my own groceries
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 03:46 AM      Profile for Ridge Runner   Email Ridge Runner         Edit/Delete Post 
How your rifle is set up, how familuar you are with it, and how much you practice with in under field conditions has alot to do with how far you can be lethal.
With proper techniques and equipment 1000 yards can be done on stationary targets, however this takes time which at times you just don't have with coyotes.
an accurate rifle with a BDC knob, a LRF, will put you on verticle to about 700 yards, then its the wind thats the major adversary. with that its practice, practice, practice. The more you study wind, and shoot in it to see the results, the better you'll get at it.
Some folks are happy shooting 200 yards, I just never was.
RR

--------------------
Born To Hunt, Forced To Work

Posts: 31 | From: WV | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters