The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Crazy Coyotes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crazy Coyotes
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 07:37 AM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a spot where I sat 2days ago.Before I started calling I had to pee so I did and I did call in and shot a coyote. It snowed that night and those coyote tracks were not there. The coyote tracks go inside where I cleared the snow where I sat. This is fairly common and always puts a grin on my face when I see it. That is what I like about hunting in the snow,the tracks in the snow always tell a story.  -
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 01:51 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Did they hike their legs and pee over yours?
David Cadieux wrote that Texas trappers would set traps at gate posts where the ranchers had a habit of relieving themselves when they got out of the truck to open the gate.

IP: Logged
JohnLK
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 02:53 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen at times where they haved pee'd or sat down and one time where a coyote has laid down where I sat. When some say that after 20min of calling if nothing comes in nothing will just isn't true.
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
JohnLK,
Great photo story. I'm sure we'd see a lot more of that if we all hunted snow that showed what coyotes and other critters have been doing.

I've told this before but I had a wolf swing off a road and pee exactly on top of where I'd peed on a hump of snow against a stump. I made my first stop there in late afternoon and noticed what he'd done the next morning when I went by there at dawn. That was in the Canadian Rockies.

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 06:49 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 06:59 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Man,I sure am glad that the Moderator's of this forum are starting to come around on the great knowledge I have. I hope I can handle the pressure.LOL.I think I will make up a Pro-Staff decal to put on my Jeep so everyone will know how great I really am. [Razz]
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2010 08:51 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I hate to jump in just to correct you, but that book being one of my personal favorites, I hope you don't mind? It's Charles (Chuck) Cadieux.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2010 09:53 AM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
All joking and kidding aside,I just thought that it was a neat picture to show.There had been a few times when I was done calling and went for a walkabout around and come back thru 1/2hr later and see a coyote downwind standing of where I was sitting and pee'd.Now when I am done calling this area I will sit in silence for 30 min or more and have had coyotes or bobcat show up. It doesn't work every time.  -

[ February 27, 2010, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: JohnLK ]

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 02:22 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Dave senior moment. [Smile]
IP: Logged
6mm284
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 05:25 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Howled a coyote last week that did not respond , but thru tracking it was apparent he came thru my call stand at 4 pm after a 5 mile hike.I had howled at 8 am. We have come to the idea that some coyotes will not come to the call site all day and will wait until evening.Other times have seen coyotes at the abandoned stand 2 t o3 hours after leaving.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 09:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, true, and sometimes they watch you leave and are sniffing around thirty minutes later. I have seen this many times when climbing mountain roads that lead to a mineshaft with nowhere to go but turn around and go back down. There is a very good chance that animals you didn't see on a previous stand are wandering all over the place after you leave. If it is within a hour, I'd say it's deliberate. If eight hours later, I'm not so sure?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 10:46 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 10:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have to remember, these coyotes defend a specific territory, in many cases. While on patrol, or just in the normal course of events, they are likely to follow their nose, and make scent posts. This is what they do, and they may not be aware of what you did the day before, but they may discover what you did or where you were during the night, when they are more active. It can still be accidental stumbling upon your location rather than recalling it from their memory banks and acting on it much later? I don't know that I can support this much inductive reasoning, but they are a remarkable animal, no doubt. To make book on this behavior ½ a day later, as deliberate, (umm, well) I'm just a little skeptical.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 02:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 03:20 PM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
I would also be skeptical on any inductive reasoning on the part of a coyote.This delayed response coyote had to go out of his way to come to the place I had set up and called from. It was not a normal crossing point such as he had been following up to that point. There was no other coyote track activity , it was a very clean location. Now it may just have been coincidence,but I have friends in wildlife services who have mentioned some call reponses are delayed way beyond an hour or two.Since coyotes don't wear watches I am not sure how time is measured in their behaviour. It may be measured or diluted more by distractions thru out the day than by length of time. If a coyote is bedded and hears a call whether he comes in 8 minutes or 8 hours may depend on if the call was the last distraction he experienced when bedding and the first he reponded to after bedding. Doesn't really matter since all is just speculation.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 06:14 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I think they show up later from calling and sometimes the coyotes just happen to walk by and smell the left over scent and they go check it out. Sometimes it might be just a visual thing they see were I cleared the snow and they go check it out. To add to what TA said.Some places seem to have low coyote activity and if I return and do some howling each time I do. The coyote activity will pick up,based on the tracks I see in the snow. I may be totaly wrong. Pre-howling a stand location for the next day hunt.LOL

[ March 02, 2010, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: JohnLK ]

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 06:48 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins posted a thread a few years ago about when he lived up here in Mo. and also where he is now about calling and then misting the area and leaving and sneaking back and see coyotes. If you type in the words "misting and leaving" it mignt still be in the archives here.

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters