The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » bumped coyotes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: bumped coyotes
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 08:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who has a lot of success in calling back a bumped coyote? Who has any success? I figure most people don't even try it? Depends on how pressured they are, in the first place; it's certainly possible in Mexico. Will "injured pup" get them to come back?

Anybody have an opinion, a story, even if you didn't get a shot, did you get him to come back for a quick look, or what?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 09:14 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Just one story to note, a few years ago I had a pair come in from behind me in maybe Jan or Feb. There were cows all behind them, so no shot but I thought lets see what I can get away with, So I started howling at them even though they saw me almost stand up before I saw them. We cussed each other for several minutes and I finaly had to get up and catch my ride that was coming across the pasture for me.

Went back the next weekend with my cousin, despite knowing it was hopeless. On our way in we bumped a pair from the same spot and they ran into the woods. I called for another spot but cuzz said no we can call em back. He setup looking straight where they ran and turned on the foxpro with our secret sound (JS Canine pups btw) and here came one. He shot it and let the caller play when he noticed the second one at the tree line, he killed it too.

I don't remember if they were male and female or what but they were both older coyotes and this place gets hunted all the time. It's never happened again but even a steer can try...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 09:17 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A handful of times I've called coyotes that were bumped while walking into a stand. The only succesful technique I've come across involves leaving that property after bumping him, hunting another stand or two, then coming back and setting up appropriately given the coyote's location earlier in the day. Probably not what you were looking for.

Although less effective, the same concept applies to coyotes that came to the call only to leave unscathed. If some variable like cattle, road traffic or a broken caller (lack of sound) led to a confused coyote wandering off... I'll sometimes come back in a couple hours and try him from another angle.

In situations where I had massive chunks of land access (desert southwest) I probably wouldn't look back at these bumped/burnt coyotes. Odds are always better on that dumb coyote down the road... but sometimes limited land access and reduced numbers of coyotes makes a guy flirt with tall-odds.

PS: I'm pretty sure Shaw bumped one and called it back in a couple years ago. He is a real 'yote whisperer ya know.

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
'yote whisperer
Great custom title, Don't know who it fits more TA or AR?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 10:36 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't say that I've had enough luck calling them freshly bumped to make it worth a go. As has been stated, I've had several instances where I retreated from the spot immediately, went someplace else and made a few stands, then worked my way back by there and gave it a go. One advantage I have is severely fragmented cover where a bumped coyote usually lines out for someplace in particular and if I just hunker down and give him his way, he'll get there, take a look back and usually settle down unpushed. There have been exceptions.

Kevin and I were walking into a big pasture this season and bumped a triple out of a small bowl. They were out of sight almost as quick as we saw them. We set up, called for twenty minutes and watched hopefully to the north and west, half expecting at least one of them to appear on a distant hilltop to at least check us out. AT 20 minutes, I had to sit up to stretch my back and I looked to the SW of me to find a big pale dog sitting just my side of a hill's crest at about 500 yards. How long he'd been there, I have no idea, but he just watched us for the next 15 as I tried to work him in. All I did was stood him up. Since it was the end of the season and I didn't expect to make it back there, I did some quick math in my head to allow for windage, range, elevation, relative humidity and, most importantly, the ability of a new load in my gun that I had no idea how it would perform beyond 300 yards, combined with the fact that my range finder was on the seat of the truck and how far he was was anyone's guess and essentially made a huge wild-assed guess and fired at him. LOL Missed him by about a foot. He beat feet over the hill and last I sw of him, he was still going NW toward the next pasture. We happened to get into that pasture, rounded a hill and were setting up the caller where we could lay on the hillside for some Les Johnson sidehill jump shooting and he and I both spotted one another at about the same time. By then, he was about 600 yards out from us up a drainage, quartering away from us but looking at me over his shoulder. I quickly laid down and hit the caller. On a dime, he spun around and charged us. The moment he went out of sight coming along a fenceline where the cow path was cut down into the ditch, Kevin and I both sprang up into sitting position. The coyote appeared about fifty yards in front of Kevin - about 80 yards from me - and stopped to check us out when I whacked him right out from under Kevin. He goes , "Ughhh!?!" as he looks over at me and I said, "Oh,.... did you want that shot?" LOL That was our last kill of the season this year. Very pale coyote for here, and woolly as hell. Sent him to the tannery.

[ March 26, 2010, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Bumped coyotes, and coyotes spotted while approaching a stand are two different things. Tim and I were driving hard down a dirt raod a season or two ago, and up ahead we saw three coyotes making a mad dash across the road ahead of us maybe 300 yards?
I hit high gear,and drove just past where we saw them cross, gathered our shit, my rifle and call, and Tim grabbed his camera. We humped it maybe 100 yards off the road and made a very quick setup. Within two minutes we had five coyotes come pounding in, Tim took some wonderful photos of them,and I managed to kill one damned coyote out of the five....tall grass is my excuse.
As to actually jumping them up while walking out to a stand, thats another story. They obviously know what you are, they get an eyefull and scoot. Most times I go ahead and make a stand, maybe walking out further than I had originally planned, but IM out there, might as well spend 15 minutes? The coyote you bumped, isn't always the only coyote in the area that will hear the call. I don't know if I ever recall knowing that a coyote that I jumped and which got an eyefull of me ever has come back to the call?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 05:44 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Truly bumped, they know what I are?

None.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 05:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 08:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A bumped coyote is one that you flush while walking to a stand.

It has nothing to do with drive bys, or crossers, or mousers in a pasture paying you no attention, as long as you kept moving (edit: in your vehicle) until out of sight.

Let me draw you a picture. You leave the truck quietly and walk upwind. At some point, you kick out a coyote, maybe two, and you set up in a good looking spot.

Have you had the coyote turn around and return, even if it is peeking through brush? Assume that you see movement from where you last saw him leaving, and he may be headed downwind....and you don't have any magic mist. But, you are (of course) a crack shot.

If you got off a shot at a coyote, other than running or sneaking away, let's hear about it.

Good hunting. LB

[ March 26, 2010, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 10:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 07:20 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
If you had a machine gun with a 30 round 'clip' you wouldn't have to worry about calling them back, just start blasting.............and later you could post that you 'Shore got in a lot of shootin' today'. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 07:22 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Driving and spotting a coyote for us is simply a drive by.

We do have a technique for them though. Around here (and everywhere) they get shot at from the road pretty often and as soon as you stop the truck, they shift gears. We spot one and slow down, the shooter jumps out with rifle, while the truck keeps going. Most of the time the coyote watches the truck while the shooter slips under the fence and shoots the coyote without him knowing he's in the world.

We only do it on places that we're told to "kill em all", we'd rather see em coming to the call instead.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 07:41 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one this year, kinda. The sun was nearing the end of it projection period for the day, and I started a stand with some lone female howls, followed by a lone male howl. I got a vocal response from what I guessed to be a mile away. Instead of sitting and hoping they'd cover the ground between us before dark, I quickly hot footed my way in his direction. I had gone roughly a half mile, and was about to sit on a shaded hill side, when I spotted what I thought to be a coyote about 500 yards away, the sun was shining on his chest is the only reason I saw him. And sure enough, just as I got my butt planted on the ground, he started warning barking at me. He had me nailed. I had my WT2030 with me, and it's got the aggresive/warning bark howl on it, so I started dishing it back to him. This only made him retreat about 100 yards, to the point that all I could through my scope was his head over the hill, and we continued to exchange vocals. Well, I knew he wasn't going to come at this point, so I tried something totally different and fired up a "hunt whine" on the 2030, which is a shorter version of a group howl, for the lack of better discription, and as soon as I did the sound the 1st time, this coyote came toward me about 100 yards, and continued to bark at me. Long story shortened, I played the "hunt whine" sound 4 times total and shot the coyote at about 150 yards, and he was still barking at me at that point.
That's the only coyote that I've ever called in that had me busted. He obviosuly saw me, but maybe didn't recognize my form since I was in the shadow of the hill.

As others have said, if I feel that there's a good chance of other coyotes in the area, other than one that I bumped, I'll go ahead and make a stand. Just because one ran off, doesn't mean that the gig is up. I know some guys don't like to bump deer or antelope in fear that coyotes may also be spooked, BUT IMO, the deer and antelope aren't very good at telling the coyotes why they're running, because I've called many coyotes in that probably saw running deer and antelope, and didn't get the word that danger was near by.

[ March 27, 2010, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 07:42 AM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a few times in the low light of early morning that I have looked up and seen a coyote running off when walking to a stand. I just sat down a called them back.As long as the coyote don't wind you, I don't think it knows what you are at times.There has been 3or4 times when walking to a stand on dry crunchy snow early in the morning that I have seen a coyote run towards me then angle downwind.Maybe they think I am a deer.
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 08:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, TR. Good story. That's what I'm looking for, sorta.

For John
quote:
There has been a few times in the low light of early morning that I have looked up and seen a coyote running off when walking to a stand. I just sat down a called them back.As long as the coyote don't wind you, I don't think it knows what you are at times.
Didn't know what you were? Fat chance. But, you have called them back, a few times?

quote:
There has been 3or4 times when walking to a stand on dry crunchy snow early in the morning that I have seen a coyote run towards me then angle downwind.Maybe they think I am a deer.
I can believe this. A coyote going about it's own business angling towards you, sees something, goes downwind. Nothing odd about that.

TA, flushing a coyote while driving is not the same. Remember, it's like those crows sitting on a crossbar. They will casually watch you drive by, it's just a vehicle. When you stop, now you are people. So, all those road kill coyotes, they weren't too scared of vehicles, were they? Hey, ever see a RK, in Minneesota?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 08:50 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Bumbed coyotes, Yes. Scared the ba geebees out of, No.
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 09:23 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 09:29 AM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fat chance. But, you have called them back, a few times?

No it is not a fat chance I did it 2 times this past season.If they knew what I was then they probaly would not have came back.

[ March 27, 2010, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: JohnLK ]

Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 09:41 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy......You missed one.

http://www.xtranormal.com/profile/2332517/

Edited to add.....All in good fun Tim. You don't have to burn my house down or anything like that. LOL

[ March 27, 2010, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: R.Shaw ]

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 10:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! You missed nothing! A beard would have been a nice touch.

You know, I wanted to get a shot of AR holding his speaker above his head, down in Texas. Kept forgetting. I may make a video.....

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! [Eek!] [Eek!]

-

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 10:21 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what I thought...Tim must have shaved. I guess he borrowed the hat off of Reeves.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 12:14 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Far enough that those 17 pills will bounce off and clatter down the corrugated roof like hail, only softer. But, it suits your style, I'll give ya that. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters