The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Grandson Josh's great 10 point buck bowkill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grandson Josh's great 10 point buck bowkill
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 01:54 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow TA17, that's a super buck. Congratulations, you're the best hunter on the planet. Kudos to you. Keep up the good work. Disco-Buckethead.
[Big Grin]

[ November 11, 2010, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Possumal ]

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 02:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, that's a strange story. Happy ending.

Good hunting. LB

Hey, the experts tell me a hit in the lung is fatal; I guess they mean...eventually?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31498 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 02:25 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
The "Experts" aren't dealing with hitting one too high in the lung on a shot that shouldn't have been taken at a bad angle. The deer has the ability to discard that upper lobe part that is damaged and live on what is left. In this case, I would estimate the deer lost about 10% of his capacity as he was back on the trail cam eating two days after the first hit. This time it was a perfect angle shot at 35 yds, total pass through, full expansion of the mechanical broadhead. I told him to never take that bad angle shot again as long as he lives, as we owe the magnificent creature more than that.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buck and congrats! [Cool]

I shot mechanicals when mechanicals werent kewl. 20 years ago or so, I was always pissed off trying to tune broadheads. Seemed that no matter what, they were going to plane at some point, normally when I didnt want them too.

Finally some company came out with the old punch cutters. Spring loaded mechanical. Not worth shit, but flew good. Soon after, Wasp came out with the Jackhammer SST. I have shot them ever since. Reliable and fly like field points. I know there are alot of good ones out there now, but I still like the old Jackhammers. I shot a deer in the head once and it passed thru all the way to the fletching. Kinda funny, I used to take shit about shooting them and I would find out someday. Well, I did find out, you cant beat em. LOL

Angles are another story. Angles play games with rifles and are not worth trying with a bow.

Anyway, tell him good job Al. [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you guys really know stuff! Mechanicals? Is that considered traditional gear?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31498 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 05:29 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Mechanicals? Is that considered traditional gear?"
-------------------------------------------------
Nope! Some people like em, but I would never use them for hunting anything but turkey.

Al,
Tell your grandson congratulations for me. That is a nice trophy class buck. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 05:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I took this 10 pt. several years ago with a bow and when field dressing him out I found a broadhead lodged on the inside of one of its shoulder blades..
I've used many different styles and name brand broadheads and the trick to getting them to fly straight is to properly tune youre bow to the broadhead that you plan to use and also mount(glue) the broadhead insert in the proper position so when the broadhead is screwed into the insert its inlign properly... [Big Grin]
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/House/100_0020.jpg[/IMG]]  -

[ November 09, 2010, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5090 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 07:35 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
TA17,
You are correct about the importance of tuning your bow with the broadhead you intend to shoot. For the last several years that I hunted deer with a bow,I shot broadheads only. Here is a photo of a Boone and Crockett class Buck that I took with a bow on Oct. 30th, 1985.
 -

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 07:40 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Edit. Changed my mind. Not starting a pissin match in a thread where we should be giving congrats to Als grandson.

To each their own.

[ November 09, 2010, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 08:08 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee I dunno what the fuss is about... I never have shot a buck with less than ten points

-

*But I ain't been hunting deer very long. [Wink]

Seriously though, that's a dang nice deer for a place where they usually aren't much bigger than my dog!

Lord and pygmies... and all that. [Big Grin]

Krusty  -

P.S. Oh wait... this is the predator hunting section... a predatory buck really is something! [Razz]

[ November 09, 2010, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2010 10:11 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice buck Possumal and congrats to your grandson. My son Ryan had a similar experience on his first deer when he was 14yrs old. Once with a bow then three days later on opening day of the firearms he shot it with a rifle. It came thru chasing a doe with no sign of being wounded. After he shot it he said it looked like the same deer he hit with the bow. Then when we skinned it sure enough strange things can happen. He was very lucky.  -
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters