The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Coyote kill? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Coyote kill?
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 05:31 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this photo on another board. They think that coyote killed this sheep. What do you guys think?
 -

[ December 29, 2010, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Rich ]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 06:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't we at least have multiple choice?

1) Aliens

2) a flock of magpies

3) ol' shep

4) blankity blank ky o tees

5) Drones operated by the C.I.A

6) a 25'06 with 75 gr. VMax

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31453 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 06:26 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Vultures...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Tim. I was just kidding. I hope you were, too?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 07:29 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It was New Zelanders that did it. (They hate our sheep) What do I win?? [Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7578 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 07:32 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
what part of the country did it happen in?

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 08:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.

Perhaps it was the Wookie that did it. His hands must of gotten cold and he stopped to warm them on the way home.. I hear they do that to there dogs up that way. [Big Grin]

[ December 29, 2010, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 08:20 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Without skinning it is impossible to tell for sure, but as a casual glance I would say in all likelyhood, yes it was probably a coyote kill. Classic throat wound by the picture. Looks like damage right under the jawbone, which normally is where the bottom teeth hit. Too clean of kill for domestic dogs.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense, Cal. But, what would you be looking for, by skinning?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

SD Howler
taught Huber everything he knows, but not everything HE knows!
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 08:45 PM      Profile for SD Howler   Author's Homepage   Email SD Howler         Edit/Delete Post 
I would skin out the neck area and check the skin for puncture holes from the canine teeth of a coyote. It sure appears to be a coyote kill to me. Dogs normally don't have a clean kill such as happened with this lamb.

[ December 29, 2010, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: SD Howler ]

--------------------
Steve
Predator Calling
rattler51@pie.midco.net

Posts: 51 | From: SD | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 09:42 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Without skinning it is impossible to tell for sure, but as a casual glance I would say in all likelyhood, yes it was probably a coyote kill. Classic throat wound by the picture. Looks like damage right under the jawbone, which normally is where the bottom teeth hit. Too clean of kill for domestic dogs."
---------------------------------
Thank you Cal, my uneducated eyes missed that wound. I couldn't make this a multiple choice question because then it would have been too easy for Leonard.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 10:29 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a wookie, I would've eaten the tenderloins and used that warm wool for a hat.

I think it's a photo-shop job to cover up the love marks from TA.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 10:44 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would've eaten the tenderloins and used that warm wool for a hat.
Did'nt know anyone eats that stuff other than dogs after its been cooked and mixed with something else..

I see youre still passing the f-p cool-aid around on P.M. [Roll Eyes]
If you would take the time to see where the posters are from you will notice non of them live in a igloo so they don't need the special (-30) wires for there callers or the hot packs for that matter... But if thats what it takes to keep the f-p working more power to ya. [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2010 10:48 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal. What would be the difference between a coyote killed lamb and a lamb killed by a bobcat or lion??????

--------------------

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 06:15 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
TA,
Glad to see you're keeping tabs on me still.

Why do you even use a remote caller when the thing is sitting right beside you, or on top of the bucket? TA, do you have the WT Young Female Howls and Single Male howls on your WT? If so, let me know, I have a question for you.

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 07:45 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Id say, from the looks of it...that it's Bush's fault. Im sure he did it.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 07:49 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, By skinning the neck out as SD suggested you can see the bite marks in the hide and damage to the neck. Since a coyote is actually smaller that the size of lamb in the picture they typically bite the neck right there at the junction of the skull and eventually either get the jugular or suffocate the lamb. You will find the top teeth marks and alot of damage up by the ear. You can tell alot by the width of the canines and many times see the exact impint of the teeth in the hide.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 08:42 AM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't coyotes normally start eating the back of the hindend frist after the kill?
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 08:53 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do you even use a remote caller when the thing is sitting right beside you, or on top of the bucket? TA, do you have the WT Young Female Howls and Single Male howls on your WT? If so, let me know, I have a question for you.
I use the remote because it came with the caller and its the only way you can operate the call.. I used a Dennis Kirk for years that did'nt have the remote it was operated by hand by just pushing a button..With a good set up I don't need the caller sitting 40 yds away..

As for the WT sounds I have the Y F howls and Y single howls......

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 09:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know as a previous post asked, how to distinguish between a cat kill and a coyote kill? Assuming no tracks.

Seems to me, the lion (sometimes) clamps down on the back of the skull, but they eat out the internal organs in the same manor as the above photo? Sudden thought; they cover and hide the kill, which a coyote has never thought of doing, so maybe it's a stupid question?

Now, if bite marks under the head, in the area of the throat is diagnostic for coyote; how do feral dogs usually kill a relatively defenseless animal...and will a deer kill look different?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

SD Howler
taught Huber everything he knows, but not everything HE knows!
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 11:16 AM      Profile for SD Howler   Author's Homepage   Email SD Howler         Edit/Delete Post 
Years back when the fox numbers were higher in SD, we would check the spacing of the skin punctures from the canine teeth. This width for the coyotes averages 1 1/4" and fox is 1".

--------------------
Steve
Predator Calling
rattler51@pie.midco.net

Posts: 51 | From: SD | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Until Cal responds, most dog kills I've seen presented with lotsa bite marks everywhere else. especially around the hindquarters as they pulled the animal down. On the few kills that I've skinned out, we've done so, as Cal said, to identify the canine imprints and measured them to ensure that they were what we thought they were. In one instance, working with F. Robert Henderson, we had three young steers that had been pulled down and killed, and one that was circling the drain. All four had multiple wounds around the nose and face. Upon skinning back the hide, we were able to confirm that we had three different dogs, in this case, involved as the spacing between the canines (width) was different enough that it was easy to see that they were made by different animals.

Would have been a more informative pic if they'd taken it at the scene of the kill, but that sheep has been moved.

[ December 30, 2010, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 12:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Moved, eh? I thought there was something a little worrysome about that pic, but I couldn't exactly put my finger on it! I think you're right.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 03:17 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
John, I'm betting if you look in that lamb the heart and liver are gone and maybe some other internal organs. The paunch is the easiest place to open it up.

Cat or lion may cover or atempt to cover whats left and eat on it very cleanly with the claws serving as a fork to hold while they eat off the meat while a coyote will rip and pull chunks of hide with the meat.

[ December 30, 2010, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Randy Roede ]

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2010 04:40 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a pic of a coyote deer kill and is normal when I come across them.The deer was still warm when I took the pic. The internals were still inside but the hindquaters are usally the frist to go.There was 3 coyotes and a bunch of crows on it. Came back the next morning and shot another coyote off it.  -
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters