The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Redemption

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Redemption
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Went out this morning for a few short-walk stands due to a hunting-related injury. Went to run down a wounded coyote last Thursday and tore the snot out of the cartilage in my left knee.

Anyway, I opted to make one stand this morning on the snow before just driving around looking for a runner and chose a spot where I've already taken three coyotes this year but where there remains a lot of fresh tracks. The place is a network of small 40's surrounding a smallish feedlot (no dead pile.)

I no more than get sat down and comfortable when, three-eights of a mile north of me, a dog wagon drives by, cruising for prey. It's the same guy Kevin was telling about our numbers about three weeks ago and ever since, the guy has been raping and pillaging everything we hunt, whether he has permission to be there or not. I work my way through a 15-minute setup and can hear the rumble of his exhaust to the west the entire time.

After wrapping the stand up, I gather my stuff and head for the truck. I'm about fifty yards from the fence, the ditch and the truck when I spot a coyote south and across the road in the next pasture, watching me watch it. I drop as quickly as my crippled ass can get to the ground and get crosswires on him. Yep, coyote, at about 200 yards. I can make that shot easily. Oops, there's a second one about forty yards closer, trotting toward me and the truck. And, he can't see my white truck against the snow although it's in plain view.

I start to take aim, take the safety off and,... rumble, rumble, rumble. Gawddammit! Here comes that f-in' dog wagon right down the road. I'm thirty yards from the fence and he drives right past me, unable to make me out in my snow cammies, and looking at my truck. He's totally oblivious to the two coyote to his right watching him drive by and I lay there thinking to myself, "Don't look right, don't look right, don't look right!"

He drives past, I reacquire my target and before that dog wagon is fifty yards beyond my pickup, I shoot and kill the closest of the two coyotes. LOL Bang! Whop! Coyote stiffened up and fell over dead.

Sweet redemption!

[ February 04, 2011, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 09:48 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he come back after hearing your shot?
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, that is a GREAT read! Thank you.
Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 12:24 PM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Lance!Loose lips sink ships! haha. Sucks the wagon guy is being like that.

Glad you can still get out with the bum knee.

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
For now, at least. Doc gave me orders not to walk except when I have to. Took me out of work because of all the walking I do there and, as I see it, the Post Office wouyld get a real red ass if I was out hunting and did further damage to it on my day off when the dr told me not to do "that". LOL Doesn't hurt except when I move it a couple specific ways, but doc told me, "You really tore the hell out of it in there." MRI kinda showed that. I was shocked. Really thought it was strained ligaments or something

Only hurts when I walk, or sit still. LOL That's what happens when you forget that you're 40-something.

Two years ago, I blew a disc in my back because of the way I sit when I call. This year, it's the knee. Those roadrunner cartoons are full of shit. I know, for a fact, of at least two times when Wile E. Coyote won! [Wink]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 03:30 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me of the time I hiked back into a section in knee deep snow overlooking a thick Jackpine plantation and called in and shot a coyote. A few minutes later I heard a truck stop,doors open and let a couple of hounds out and they ran the coyote I had just shot!
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters