The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » SHOOT THE FURTHEST ONE FIRST? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: SHOOT THE FURTHEST ONE FIRST?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted February 07, 2011 02:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me, it depends on the situation, and how close together they are and if they are close enough to see their partner drop. In other words, there are many reasons for deciding how to handle multiples, like is the cover such that either one can be hidden completely at the sound of the shot, and yet, sometimes they are trailing by enough distance where they don't even react to the sound and keep coming out of cover. Some places, a coyote is spooked by just about anything, so who's to say what is the best solution.

Okay, I want to know what you like to do, normally, and what are your reasons for shooting the first one? Does it depend on the likelihood of killing both, or do you think you have a better chance to line up on the closer one as the second shot, whereas the back one might be able to get out of sight sooner so you want him down first, regardless that the near one will probably turn inside out and hit high gear before you even get him in your sights.

Let's hear from The Peanut Gallery; and I want a REASON you will defend to the death.

Good hunting. LB

Not really, everybody has an opinion. Food for thought, please.

edit: easterners are excused lol

[ February 07, 2011, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 02:37 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Sgt. York always shot the last one first.

At least he did so in the movie...

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 02:57 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Daytime stands - I shoot the one that takes the least amount of movement from me, and presents the easiest shot. If they are coming hard I will not stop it for a shot either. I'll just kill it and hope the other one pauses or keeps coming.

edit: My reasons that I will defend to the death..I hope that the gunshot won't bother trailing coyotes. I wnat a sure kill, and if I only kill one I don't have to walk as far to get it. Being a right handed shooter, I don't want to swing a huge amout to a close coyote on my extreme right, or switch sides to shoot them off handed, because I believe that movement alerts the other coyote and decreases my chance of calling him back or having a slower running shot or a stoppage.

[ February 07, 2011, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: tlbradford ]

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 03:09 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I always shoot first the one that seems to most want to get shot first. And it's always obvious which one that is. If there are multiple guns on stand and no pre-made plans to counter it, it's the one always ends up getting double tapped.

Line up five guys with rifles, guys that know how to use them. Tell them it's a competition to see who can hit a target first. Unveil a half dozen random targets at random distances simultaneously. All five of them will shoot at the same target.

Same deal with multiple coyotes. One of them just naturally attracts the cross hairs.

That's the one I always shoot first.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 03:34 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years, I have discovered, for me, to just start close and work my way out,in other words taking the sure(most of the times) shot first, a bird in the hand, all things considered.

Took a few years, but I figured out I average more coyotes in that situation, by doing it that way. I tend to get greedy and when I use to plan on shooting from last to first, it never worked out as well for me.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 04:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I think there is merit in your method, now that I think about it. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 04:23 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with DAA only I never really considered all that he said, I just figured maybe I was lazy in that respect, always kill the obvious one & then tend to others if you can.

Although there have been a few exceptions over the years but that was just me being fancy, it never works out the way I thought it would. [Razz]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 05:20 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Dave's answer.

I hate doubles since I put away the AR's and started with the bolt guns again. I called a pair Saturday morning, had plenty of open space, they were on a dead run for the caller.

I did what I always tell people to do, take the first sure shot you get. I beared down on the first coyote right at the caller and as I was squeezing the trigger, I was looking for the second one. Ya I missed, she took off at warp speed but #2 just stood there scratching his head and wondering why the miss's was in such a hurry. I killed him and will come back later with my best "honey I'm home" howl and hope to even the score.

Reason why? Why make something more difficult? If you have an easy shot up close, why pass and try to kill the one 300 yards away? If you miss, the easy one ain't gonna be so easy. And just like bird hunting, one bird out of each covey rise will make a limit before all of them out of the same covey rise does.

[ February 07, 2011, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 05:33 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot the one that offers the best shot first. I think that's the same thing Dave said? I've even been known to switch off the first one aquired if another gives a better option, and I see it. I'll take 1 dead coyote and 1 empty case any day over no dead coyotes and 2 or 3 or ? empty cases....even if us machine gunners have a reputation to live up to.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 05:48 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, guess thats what I was sayin too really.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 06:07 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with everyone else, so far, close almost always. I have a hard time missing closer targets than further. Only time I will go off that rule is when I'm with a partner and the lead coyote is very apparently going to end up in my partners shooting lane at about the same time that I will have the opportunity to tap the back coyote. That way, the partner can be concentrating on the front coyote and has already aquired the target, and with some luck, the back coyote dies and the front coyote soon follows.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 07:05 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive always been mildly amused reading the various scenarios, far to near, near to far, male first, female first, alpha, omega(always wondered what power glass you need to check out the genitalia of a furred up coyote?)
In my world, it's always been shooting the best available shot I have, which of course is usually the closest stationary animal, as long as it is visible. Dave pretty much nailed it with his answer, more than once Ive had a partner and I shoot at the same time, and invariable shoot the same coyote.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 07:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For background on this subject, refer to the topic in this forum about encouraging a bedded coyote to stand up.

Good hunting. LB

edit: couldn't think of the exact title? it's like this: "how to entice a bedded coyote??"

[ February 07, 2011, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 07:51 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Having more than one coyote appear is truly the shiz, and when that happens, the hardest situation to deal with is when you have one bearing down hard and getting close enough that he could just as easily become a real bitch of a moving target should he flare left or right, as opposed to straight in or straight out while the other is still far enough out there to make himself a tough kill, too. Fact is, regardless of how you plan the outcome, take that first shot and all hell breaks loose while coyotes scatter like quail in every direction. Nothing ever works out like you plan.

Another fact is that you will never get a double unless and until you kill the first one, and when you have more than one in play, the hardest thing to overcome for someone who hasn't been there/ done that before is being able to pick one coyote out of the advancing hordes - regardless of his place in the line up - and kill it, ignoring the rest of the troops until such time as you need to deal with them.

I pick the one that seems to offer the highest percentage shot, whether he's closest, furthest, or somewhere in the middle, focus all my attention on him until he's down, then worry about number two. The worst thing you can do is be pulling to number two before the bullet leaves the barrel for number one because you got into a hurry.

As the old saying goes, you perform under stress only as well as you practice. Aim, squeeze, cycle the bolt, and aim again. Even if he's down. Snap caps and a lot of practice can definitely make you better at this aspect of the game.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 08:31 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are paired up like they are this time of year I try to shoot the smaller of the two (the female) if possible. That way maybe the population will be reduced for the landowners somewhat. The rest of the year I just take the most convenient shot and then follow up as best I can. With the close quarters in most places here in Mo. most times the second one makes it to cover unscathed.

[ February 07, 2011, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Baldknobber ]

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I look at it like straight pool and playing position. If you want to run the table, you need to make those chip shots as easy as possible. At some point, you might have to make a trick shot, or all your effort is wasted.

So, if you really have a crowd headed your way, you better come up with a plan real quick.....like, why did I leave my machinegun at home today, of all days?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

SD Howler
taught Huber everything he knows, but not everything HE knows!
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2011 09:07 PM      Profile for SD Howler   Author's Homepage   Email SD Howler         Edit/Delete Post 
In a majority of the cases where a pair was called in, when the first or closest coyote was shot it was the male. Yes I have always howled at a majority of my calling stands and the males tend to be more defensive with their approach, especially during the breeding season. It’s always a good idea to take the coyote that gives you the best shot first, but if I have a good shot at the back coyote, I will take it first and then shoot the close one with the second shot.

--------------------
Steve
Predator Calling
rattler51@pie.midco.net

Posts: 51 | From: SD | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 02:41 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
When I suggested shooting the far one first, I did not mention or consider that here in farm country ,when we have multiples come everything is pretty much wide open spaces.Not like a landscape full of sage or brush.Here is usually clear shooting at coyotes that come in so my first thought is there away to kill all of them. If the first one gets within a hundred yds and the second one within two hundred it offers a very good chance of taking the near one after the far one.If I shoot the close one usually the far one is well on his way to 300yds and not a very good shot. As most posters mentioned all situations and locals are different, but I certainly see I am in the minority shooting the far one.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 07:56 AM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
I try for the biggest if I have a choice and hope the smaller coyotes are younger and dumber will stick around for another shot.
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
predatorhunter
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 10:59 AM      Profile for predatorhunter   Email predatorhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with cdog911 most places here are tight so I'll take the easest shot first but it's not always the lead dog. This time of year if I'm hunting with a partner I tell him before we start to take the first one if he can and I'll take the furtherest one to avoid shooting the same one. I'm doing Amish transport now and that's given me alot more ground to hunt. One place is a gane preserve of 2800 acres joining the amish,they got me permission to hunt because they built the guy a barn and he said he was having coyote problems so they told him about me.I've hunted with a few of them and boy those guys can shoot.

--------------------
In efforts to conserve electricity,the light at the end of the tunnel has now been turned off!

Posts: 76 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 11:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think them folks can shoot, try arm wrestling one of 'em. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 01:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I just try to take them as they come in and take the higher percentage shots first and be ready to flip the switch.. You can plan in youre head all you want and in most cases the stand will not turn out like planned.. Rather than blast away at the second or third coyote as its high-tailing it out of the area I just go back to calling and works well for me when dealing with multiples..I'm also a firm believer that if the shot is'nt there just let the coyote go, there is a good chance you can call them back on the same stand or the next day... [Smile]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 01:04 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to add that K and I occasionally will set up with him holding his rifle, and me, my shotgun. If it works out, we try to get them within shotgun range, Kevin takes the furthest one with the first shot from the rifle, and I do a follow up with the 12 gauge since it's easier to hit a runner with a shotgun than with a rifle. In the event that the coyotes are spread out, this is a situation where he would try for the furthest one first (beyond my range) and I go for the closest one as soon as he shoots. Rarely works out that way when you're properly armed, but there are times...

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 03:49 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
After getting my fur check and seeing how much I got for XL North Western Coyotes this year I am with JohnLK.

I'm shooting the biggest one first.lol

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
predatorhunter
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2011 04:01 PM      Profile for predatorhunter   Email predatorhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried using that same setup Saturday Cdog, had good luck in the past but this weekend all the shots were rifle only all morning.The last stand I switched to a rifle and would'nt you know it, I had one come within 20yds. The Amish guy I was hunting with,found that real amusing. Kokopelli, I think I could take one;with both hands.

--------------------
In efforts to conserve electricity,the light at the end of the tunnel has now been turned off!

Posts: 76 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters