The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » A few recent pics... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A few recent pics...
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 08:33 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post a whole lot here, mostly because I couldn't stand the way Tim Anderson had a way of stinking up pert near every post anyone made. It's not that I couldn't handle it, it was just so predictable and tiresome. Now that he's supposedly gone perhaps I will post a little more often. [Smile]

Back in February I had a particularly good morning. Called in 10 and was able to get 5 of them on the ground. Most were hard chargers and I wish I would have been toting a shotgun instead of a rifle. However I had a new .243 and wanted to try it out.

First kill with the .243.
 -

By quitting time the .243 was well broke in. [Wink]
Interestingly only one of the coyotes was young. All the others were mature adults including a couple old buggers with really worn down teeth.
 -

Last weekend was opening day of turkey season. I hadn't been in 5 years and really had the itch to go again. My turkey hunt didn't last very long though. Sunrise was 6:45am and by 7:00 am I had this tom called in and on the ground.
 -

After killing my turkey, my host/rancher wanted to see what this coyote calling/hunting was all about. He had been with a few friends calling coyotes, but had never actually seen any come in before. So that afternoon I took him out and called in 4 coyotes for him. His shots were 20 to 70 yards. He missed every darn one of them but got the coyote hunting fever really bad. All the rest of that night he was asking about guns, calls, how to set up stands etc. Methinks I know where the majority of his tax return money will go. [Wink]

Recently another rancher friend of mine has been having a lot of trouble with coyotes harassing his cows while they are calving. In fact he has watched them come in a kill a couple of his calves. He's tried to thin them out, but he's not a caller, and his "Tim Anderson" run and gun from the pick up style has met with limited success. He called and asked if I could come out and help out a little. Last night after work the weather was finally decent for calling. I was able to call in this big old male. It was the only coyote I saw, but come to find out the rancher had been out spot lighting them the night before. I'm sure he had them stirred up a little. Hope to get back out there in a week or so and see if I can't eliminate a few more for him. Life is good.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 11:15 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Five years of plaaning and run up to 15 glorious minutes of turkey hunting?!? How disappointing, or maybe, how effective are you?!? LOL Just funnin' ya. Damn, your coyotes are nice looking. I really want to hunt Montana and get one of those pales for the wall. My wife is from there and absolutely refuses to go anywhere near the place. [Frown]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Now that that scary Tim has left the building, I'm sure we will be hearing more from you.

GH/LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31451 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 11:48 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
As I told JD with a smile, the following quote from Twain is another one that seems to apply to what'shisname...

“There is nothing so annoying as to have two people talking when you're busy interrupting.”

or,

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”

Spooky, how it's like they knew each other. LOL

Sorry for the sidetrack. Still like the looks of those pales.

(edited 'cause I forgot to hit the ABC checker)

[ April 13, 2011, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 12:16 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Scary Tim? Hardly, more like ANNOYING Tim!

cdog911, what part of Montana was your wife from?

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 12:45 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a superintendant from Cut Bank. He doesn't want to go back either. He does pack horses into the Bob Marshall though.

Great job on getting your "Rocky Mountain High."

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 01:31 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
lol if I was from Cutbank I wouldn't want to come back either. That place is not my idea of a typical Montana town. It's more or less a reservation town eventhough it is technically just a whisker away from the reservation border. Most towns/cities in Montana are nice, clean, and friendly. The reservation towns are a completely different environment altogether.
BJRemLington7
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 01:46 PM      Profile for BJRemLington7   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thata nice set of coyotees and a nice goober. I'll hold my tongue for now on tellin ya how you coulda took them other five with a single bullet from 2100 yards.
Posts: 37 | From: Earfth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 03:26 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Mighty fine, Ursus. Those Montana pales are something to see, and that big old gobbler is a dandy too. Kudos to you, sir.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 03:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
There's just something about the early morning sun lighting up a big winter prime pale coyote as it comes in to a call that makes life fine!!

Cool pics. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 04:16 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
ursus, she was from Laurel.

--------------------

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 04:17 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice ursus! Nice fur and a decent gobbler, life is good.

btw....Didn't Hank Jr. write a song about Cut Bank? Yea....."it's colder than well diggers ankles in Cut bank Montana.......blah blah somethin somethin" What was the name of that song....dang, now it's gonna bug me.

I just looked it up, its called.....Cut Bank, Montana........imagine that.

[ April 13, 2011, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: JD ]

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 04:43 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Cut Bank holds the record for lowest temperature in the continental US. If I remember right.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 05:19 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
.great pics. specially the one with the fence.
by golly.....you do look like john denver

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 07:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well there is a place in Minnesota, I think it's called International falls with some temperatures that should get your attention, plus, I think it's the furthest north of anyplace in the lower 48?

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 08:41 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to market some No Hunting signs with targets on them. Some things are constant regardless of latitude.

Nice pics, Troy.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 10:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, congrats on the nice coyotes and the gobbler, but was there a sale on that camo, or what? That's what I want, the next time I need a goose.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 06:29 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard the majority of my calling is done in prairie grass country. This is the best camo I have found to blend in. If I find something better I will buy it, but so far I haven't found anything that even comes close. I feel silly wearing it, but it works well enough that its worth it.
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 08:12 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
very nice photos, Ursus!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 09:33 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking coyotes!! I wouldnt mind trying a few Montana coyotes myself someday.

Nice gobbler as well!

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 10:15 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Well for those of you that enjoy seeing these Montana coyotes here's a few more photos for you.
 -

Another good day. Called in 6 and we were able to put 5 of them down.
 -

Nice winter coat on this big male yote.
 -

Cold and fun.
 -

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 10:20 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote,
I don't post a whole lot here, mostly because I couldn't stand the way Tim Anderson had a way of stinking up pert near every post anyone made.
------------------------------------------------

Yep I agree, I've avoided predator sites lately, partly because of Tim, Yeah I know "sniff" "sniff" that being said its almost impossible to avoid the guy.

John, oops I mean ursus21. Nice photos !

Hey what the hell is wrong with Cutbank ? Lol, My mother was born there and raised in Circle, we also lived in Laurel, my sister was born in nearby Billings.

Again good thread.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 10:41 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, be thankful your mother was raised in Circle. Had she been raised in Cutbank your life might be much different. Cutbank is a LOT rougher town to grow up in than Circle. I quite like Circle and wouldn't mind living there in the least.

Here is some data that might help explain why I'm not crazy about Cut Bank better than going into a lot of details. This the crime rate index for 2001-2009: Crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 319.2) 520.4 551.8 762.6 448.4 585.6 432.0 467.6 383.8 366.7 You will note that the only year that is even close to the U.S. average is the last one in 2009. It's a rough town, there are some good people there, but it sure wouldn't be my first choice in places to raise kids in Montana.

[ April 14, 2011, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 11:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well. I crave excitement.

I'm going to Missouri, pick up AR Shaw, then head to Cut Bank and the nearest Honky Tonk while wearing my "CUT BANK HAS MORE FAIRIES THAN SAN FRANCISCO" Tee shirt and wait for somebody to (try) and hit me over the head with a bottle.

It's a good thing Randy has a gentle nature, I'd hate to piss him off. Oh wait! Speaking of temper. I just remembered, Geordie aught to be on the other side of me. And, he can shoot, too.

Then we can go kill a bunch of those large heavy pales. That is, if John Denver has left any?

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 11:32 AM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet pics, I highly approve of the machine guns too, I have a sweet little RRA with a short Lothar Walther barrel chambered in .17 rem. I love that thing.

Tell us about those rifles.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters