The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Politics forum   » important topic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: important topic
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 10:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Where does this guy get his stats? Handgun Control, Inc.?

The issue is this.

If they continue to restrict CCW in public places, such as Walmart, and you have concerns about your vehicle being broken into, then maybe the only place left is at home, which does you absolutely no good at all, at any other time!

READ ON~

Stern Wants Players to Leave Guns at Home
Commissioner Not Convinced Guns Make People Safer
By BRIAN MAHONEY
AP
NEW YORK (Oct. 25) - David Stern understands having a gun to protect your home. He's not convinced carrying one on the streets makes you any safer.

For that reason, the NBA commissioner said Wednesday that he would prefer his players leave their firearms behind when they go out.

"It's a pretty, I think, widely accepted statistic that if you carry a gun, your chances of being shot by one increase dramatically," Stern said during his preseason conference call. "We think this is an alarming subject, that although you'll read players saying how they feel safer with guns, in fact those guns actually make them less safe. And it's a real issue."

It's one that was raised recently when Indiana 's Stephen Jackson shot a gun in the air at least five times outside an Indianapolis strip club on Oct. 6. He originally told police he fired in self-defense during a fight in which he was hit by a car.

The NBA's collective bargaining agreement allows players to own licensed guns, but they can't carry them on any league or team business. Asked what kind of firearm rule he would want if collective bargaining weren't involved, Stern said: "I would favor being able to have a firearm to protect your home. Period."

He added that walking the streets carrying guns was "dangerous for our players," but said there has been no further discussion with the union about strengthening the policy.

Union spokesman Dan Wasserman said it already was bolstered in last year's agreement, at the request of the league.

"In response to issues raised by the NBA during bargaining last year," he said, "a provision was added to the collective bargaining agreement that subjects the players to discipline if they bring any kind of firearm, even if it's licensed, to an NBA arena, practice facility, or even a team or league offsite promotional appearance."

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2006 06:32 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Good question Leonard.

I think the real question is whether or not Stern will ask his players, many of which enjoy living on the fringe of the "gangsta" lifestyle, to keep the hell out of dangerous places and situations, and let everything else take care of itself.

Why is common sense just an option these days?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ray E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 996

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2006 06:18 PM      Profile for Ray E   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Like all of the rest of "those people" he makes them up as he goes along.....
But I guess when you are dealing the type of people that are in danger of getting stupid and shooting themselves or an innocent bystander then he may have a point...

--------------------
Ray

Posts: 11 | From: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters