The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » what is your favorite howler (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: what is your favorite howler
bigben
Knows what it's all about
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 06:31 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
and why is it your favorite. is it the sound. the ease of use. I think my favorite production howler is the power howler mainly because of the sound. my favorite wood howler would be ernie wilsons great looking wood and is very loud. and my only horn howler is from critrbuster it is also loud and has a distinct sound to it. I have a few other ones but I believe that these will be put in the vest every time I go out.
Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 07:36 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ben. My favorite howler is a black polished cow horn with cast chromium cobalt overlays built around a Power Howler voice. Sounds great and looks great. Now ask Lance what his favorite is.
(muffled giggle)

IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I favor cow horn howlers with an open reed. They are strong, reliable and get the job done.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 08:50 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
For the most authentic sound quality i'd take my "Higgins" howler any day.For Volume to get the sound way out there I use my trusty old Sceery Howler,or my Crit'r call Magnum.Good Hunting Chad

[ June 21, 2006, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 09:12 AM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use my "Higgin's" howler, and I also use my "Sly pup" howler from Haydel's.
Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of those "black polished cow horn with cast chromium cobalt overlays" and it's difficult to compare with an open reed howler. The possible sounds are more mellow and subtle than what you usually get from an open reed. It's like the difference between a trombone and a french horn.

So, the power howler fits in a different catagory. Other howlers are usually much louder and dare I say just as effective? It's the kind of thing that is more subjective than objective.

Actually, for loudness and easy to blow, I have always liked my Johnny Stewart howler. Except the bulk.

The worst feature of a Higgins Howler is the fear of losing it. I'm not a lanyard man, so the shape is custom made to fall out of a pocket just as easily as it slips in.

Good hunting. LB

Higgins demos a howler at the campout

-

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 09:36 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
"The worst feature of a Higgins Howler is the fear of losing it."

I've gone back for mine a couple of times. Same situations, I've left half a dozen Critrcalls laying around the countryside, a couple butt pads, one pair of shooting sticks and I forget what all else. But not my Higgins howler. I'll always go back for it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
My Zepps 1080 because its very easy and the only open reed call that I have.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 03:23 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I here ya on the higgins howlers. but I am gonna make my own ELK horn howler. I have a awesome looking chocolate horn for it. just need to get enough gumption to do it this weekend.

Uh did lance get his yet?

bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 03:46 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
here is a picture of both horns I am going to try. the chocolate horn is going on a elk power howler mouth piece. the other one has a unique shape to it and will probably be a open reed howler.

-

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 12 posted June 21, 2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Uh did lance get his yet?"
-------------
No but he will someday. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 04:10 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
well atleast he will get one someday. I here you need to be a very good friend to recieve one. I even read bribing can be effective at certian times.
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 06:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I sure would like to video some called coyotes in south central Pa. [Smile]
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 07:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a favorite howler, i use what howlers i have for different situations. The one's i use the most are Yote buster, Johny stewart,power howler, couple of Bill Austins, and this year i willbe useing a Cronk howler. They all have good sound and pretty easey to use.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 09:10 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan Thompson's Red Desert Howler
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2006 10:00 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I use lots of different howlers myself but as a callmaker I follow Rich Cronks open reed style. I sure like a mirrored finish though, (Higgins' Howlers) and I like chrome. That may go against some coyote calling philosophies, but I have a weakness meticulously finished call and a nice shine.

As far as operation, I haven't tried the band style yet so I have no opinion, but from what I've heard they do sound more like a coyote.

I like my howlers to go from medium pitched to ear piercing high. Just a preference thing.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 04:00 AM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
come on up then.
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 05:37 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I love chrome too, sure wish I could have a howler with chrome!

But I guess my favorite howler is the horn howler I got from Rich Cronk several years ago.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 07:04 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I am presently working on your's. It will be finished in time to take to the ATA convention.
Golly Tim, maybe you could volunteer as a judge for the calling contest that I entered and I could present you with your howler AFTER the competition? [Big Grin]

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 08:07 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, is that convention the one being held in Globe the end of July?
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 10 posted June 22, 2006 10:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a pity that there are still Huntmaster members out there that have yet to receive their Higgin's Howler, and Cronk Horn Howler? Before we worry about those starving pigmy's in Africa, let us take care of our own! It's the right thing to do.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 11:40 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of custom and production howlers and they all work, some better than others. My two most often used are a dandy custom Brad Holzer mini cedar howler, and a production ELK Power Howler. Both are compact and fit so nice into a pocket or around my neck.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 12:04 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that's it. July 29,30,31. Vern Howey will be there.
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 12:31 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
When calling I always take a couple different howlers with me. Sometimes it seems to make a difference, sometimes not. I have a number of TR’s horn howlers, and of course, my Cronk. I have some plastic howlers, too. The CritR-Call Magnum, which works well, Lohman (ehh!), and a Sceery howler, which is just too big. I also have an E.L.K. PH, which I have sent in for upgrade. [Big Grin]

Rich, I may try to make it down there. Sounds like fun. What do you think of Howey's calling video? I haven't seen it yet.

[ June 22, 2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I have seen every one of Higgin's videos. Vern Howey might be a great guy with vast predator hunting experience, but that was the most boring hunting video I have ever watched, bar none. I'd rather watch a chess tournament, or Senate debate; more exciting action.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters