The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » gizmo user or a hand call only guy? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: gizmo user or a hand call only guy?
WyoColoDogger
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3822

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 08:36 PM      Profile for WyoColoDogger           Edit/Delete Post 
Standard Crit'R Call for me, the olive drab open reed, same that Les Johnson uses. It does a mean howl, btw

I'm not an electronic call user, sold the FX3 years ago, just more satisfaction using air instead of electricity.

I wonder what is the ratio here of e-calls vs. hand calls?

Posts: 12 | From: Wyo/Colo | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2011 09:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends? I'm a die hard contest hunter and the odds favor a combination of electronic and hand calls. I use both, all the time.

GH/LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31468 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 09:12 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've only used hand calls, really like the Sceerys. That being said my buddy in NV uses a electronic caller and I can sure see some advantages. I'm sure I'll get one in the future, and use both.
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 10:29 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Hand calls are ok and I use them from time to time but prefer a E-caller most times..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5070 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 12:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Les Johnson is using a Crit'r-Call now??? When I met him a couple of campouts ago he had his own line of calls. [Confused]

For the record, I use both electronic and hand calls.........sometimes both at the same time. Depends.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 12:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen his show and the hand call he uses looks a lot like a critter call peewee? His line of calls is called Ruffy Dog, something like that? You never know if you are watching a rerun or new season, so it is possible to see Les use both calls.

GH/LB

edit: koko, have you started hunting? I thought you just liked camping?

Hey, seriously, how's it going? Feeling better, I hope?

[ April 30, 2011, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 12:54 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Different circumstances demand different tools. Handcalls and e-callers are tools to me, as are shotguns versus rifles, as are prey distress versus vocalizations. The setup determines which I use, either by themselves, or in concert.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 02:22 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, satisfaction comes from success at killing coyotes, and without a doubt, since I've added ecalls to the tool box, my satisfaction and success have gone up in the last couple of years. So for me, both are used.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 02:52 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer hand calls, but it sure is nice to flip a switch and kick back sometimes, so yeah, I use both.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 03:33 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
I tuck the lanyards inside my coat so that the remote and the handcalls dont clank together on my way to the stand.

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 04:03 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I also keep hand calls on a lanyard with my remote. I find both are needed.I started out using hand calls only and really enjoy calling an animal to my location. But there is a lot to be said for puting them where you want them and for thise e- calls cant be beat.

[ April 30, 2011, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
Doing well; thanks for asking. Ice packs & pain meds working great. The wife seems to be ignoring the silver bell though..........

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 04:43 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
started out years ago with hand calls. 3 years ago i bought a fury _ ( [Razz] Tim A ). have called in tons with it but i also started using hand call a bit more this past year. fav is the crtr call standard

[ April 30, 2011, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: the bearhunter ]

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2011 05:13 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I started off with hand calls but use e-callers more now.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2011 09:11 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
The crit'r call standard is a good call, but it wouldn't cut it as a coyote howler.. I use electronic callers from Foxpro, and also mouth blown calls that I make myself.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2011 09:41 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I use both.Depends on what I'm doing and the situation I'm in on which one I use.There are definite advantages to an E-caller.Especially a good one like my CS-24.

I do use Crit'r calls most of the time.The Pee Wee and the Song dog Jr for distress sounds. But for howling I have made a cow horn that the Song Dog Jr. fits into.Sounds great...
I also use a modified Tally Ho that makes great distress sounds.

All and all for me both are just tools to get a job done.

Good Hunting Chad

[ May 02, 2011, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1616 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 07:58 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, if ya don't mind my asking, how you modified the Tally-Ho? I like mods [Smile]
IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 08:08 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Chad, if ya don't mind my asking, how you modified the Tally-Ho?"
--------------------------------
Smithers,
I have modified a few Tally-Ho's for folks who asked. I modify the air channel, steepen the bridge of tone board and install a reed of .014 Mylar. I also drill a hole up front and install a nylon string for a lanyard.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 08:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have heard of that conversion. Bonus, you can also use it as a can opener and a spoon.

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 09:27 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much like Rich said.I found that the original reed to be to thick so it made it more difficult to control the sounds.I just made my own reed from thinner mylar and used a thicker wedge to keep it in place,then added a castrating rubber to keep the reed from moving around.Nothing big but made a big difference for me.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1616 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 03:23 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting, indeed. I drilled a hole for the lanyard on mine but kinda like the sounds I get outta the thicker reed. 99% of the open reed calls I have use thin Mylar so the thicker stuff gives it a somewhat different sound, not too much, but a bit.
IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 03:59 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to hot rod my Tally Ho but only because I lost the part that holds the reed in.I also did the hot rod for my Hot Dog howler as well.I do have the right reeds for the Tally Ho. I have made me some homemade reeds for it.I have made some reeds out of some odd things I find around the house,from coffee can lids to just about any kind of plastic I can find around the house.
But I do like the sound I get from the Tally Ho.
Edit/spell the word kind.

[ May 03, 2011, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Cayotaytalker ]

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 04:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't believe it so I ran your post through my spell checker. Guess what? You are correctamundo!

Congrats. [Smile]

GH/LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cayotaytalker
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 04:54 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,or should I just call you warden? I had a f or a t in there and not a k. I have been trying to write a little better post these days.But I,m not so sure I spelled plastic right.
Things here at the ranch have been a bit of a drag. I have not been up to much just trying to get the garage cleaned out. I have to make room for three kawasakies a Honda 50 and two quads.I will go and get three of the kaws tomorrow.
we had one hell of a blow out yard sale to get rid of a lot of our stuff just to make some extra room. And the sale was a big help we sold out.
And by the way I use a e-caller and hand calls,but for me I like the e-caller because by the end of the day out here in the west you get kinda dried out blowing on a hand call all day.

--------------------

Cayotaytalker
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2011 05:02 PM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,it's Tuesday night so I don't watch fox News at 5PM I watch HDNet a show called Dan Rather reports. it's not to hard to watch. i watch the show to get just a little diffrent slant on things.I still try to watch Bill every wednesday night at 5PM.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters