The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » WTB - High-quality sounds (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: WTB - High-quality sounds
LionHo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 08:35 AM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Answered my own question by Googling around some more. Link mentions studies on vertebrate hearing, gives a table that includes cats, dogs, mice, rabbits (but no coyotes or bobcats):

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/HearingRange.html

Even if a coyote could hear to 45kHz, you won't call very far them with frequencies that high. The higher the frequency, the less distance it travels. As I understand it, sound above 30kHz falls off within a few yards at volumes found naturally. (Helps to explain how bats echo-locate without getting confused by each others signals and crashing into one another mid-air).So the limited value of this probably means that for most predator callers, the cost of the specialized (non-human consumer) equipment that reaches above 24kHz just isn't going to provide much return.

On the other end of the scale, the infrasonic sounds (below human hearing limit of 64Hz, according to the chart), probably have a lot to do with long-distance communication. Everybody's probably seen some nature show with elephant studies demonstrating how they communicate over many miles of the plains, etc with low rumbles and stomps.

Which reminds me of something that Rich mentioned and an experience I nearly 30 years ago when I was a kid.

Back in the autumn of '76, a Wyoming local guided me to a remote spot in the Bridger-Teton NF (as I recall about 20 or so miles up a two-track starting somewhere in Natrona County, not too far from Brooks L) where I heard wolves howling in the wild for the first time. The sound got down into my bones, one of those things that's tough to describe in mere words. But that's how I felt it and how I've always described it ever since...

And now reading up on these recent studies about how humans and critters perceive sound in ways other than the audible, it starts to make more sense.

Wolves probably have a component to their howl that's in the infrasonic range, to better communicate long distance.

(Portable audio equipment that the researchers were using would not likely have enough bass to hit those low notes. )

LionHo

[ November 20, 2005, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: LionHo ]

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 08:43 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Lion Ho, I'm not pickin on ya, but Natrona county is quite a ways from the Bridger-Teton. Like a couple hundred miles. Thats OK, I don't remember much about 76 either. LOL!

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 11:34 AM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, recollection of the geography involved IS a little hazy, Cal. Sometimes even today find it difficult to remember how to find a place a second time, when someone else did the driving and I did all the talking [Smile]

Now you've caused me to go look and dig out my "Wyoming 1978 Official Highway Map" (yes, yes, I know what you're thinking, but I also backpacked and hitch-hiked my way west from PA a couple of years later). Map is pretty large scale, not a tremendous help in narrowing it down further either, unfortunately. I'm thinking that earliest trip we were east of Pinedale in the Wind River Range which would make it Sublette Co., which was the only other county name that originally came to mind.

Sticking to my guns about hearing wolves in the backcountry, though.

You being a local and all... so where were they hiding out, back then?

LionHo

[ November 20, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: LionHo ]

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard many rumors until the mid to late 80s, that I can ever remember, but I was never in the western part of the state much. And in 76 I was only 12 or 13 years old so that may have something to do with it.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2005 05:34 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
For a Graduation gift, My parents sent me on a 10 day back packing trip into the Windriver rage, east of Pinedale.

That has to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2005 12:09 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh Tim, 5:34 a.m.????

Did you have to pee or what?

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters