The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Which Howler? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Which Howler?
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 07:28 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Just like Larry the cable guy I will "Get er' Done". [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 07:58 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
What about the critr call song dog? Any suggestions for it?
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 11:19 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,the song dog is a good call.For many it seems to be little harder to master than the other crit'r calls.

You could try what i use to do and it makes a big difference.Fit it in a cow or buffalo horn.If you don't have access to a cow or buffalo horn,go to one of the auto supply shops and buy yourself one of those long slender oil funnels.Cut off just enough for the call to go inside snug.You will be surprised how good that call will sound.(for a dollar,its worth it)Don't forget to cut the other end off too.LOL..A total of 8" or 10" long,should do the trick.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 05:06 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
The best howler I've ever owned is one of Rich Cronk's horn howlers.

I "Lost" it for a year, and the wind, sun and rain sure did an ugly trick to the outside. But it still plays beautifully. Easy to use and it sounds great!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 05:07 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, thank you sir. I will try that, I have "talked" back and forth with a few coyotes but they don't come in unless I do a whine of some kind. I have got them to come to me using a sceery howler but I gave that away to a friend. I also have a power howler that does ok however howling is something I really want to work on.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I will make a prediction.

Howling is the one segment that has the most potential, for calling. It's not that well understood.

If we ever figure it out, that's going to be a good thing; as Martha Stewart, (Gerald's mom) might say.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 07:30 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Brent Saxton just released his video "Hunting in the East". He demonstrates howling techniques, demonstrates several different types of howlers, commercial and custom, including a Cronk and his own , a KEE Howler which is just like mine without the jewelry.
Brent is probably the best howler I have ever heard.
He shows a couple of howl offs with real coyotes, entertaining while demonstrating his prowess with his howler.
Anyone interested in hearing good howling technique and what it sounds like with different howlers should get this video.
Rich, you should get the video to see what you're up against in your upcoming howling contest with Brent.

IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich Higgins,
I have no doubt about Brent's ability. Everything he knows was taught to him by you and I. I didn't teach him everything I know. Did you? Oh man,that ain't nice of me to say.
Lord, I apologize for that right there. Please be with the starving pygmy's down there in Africa--Amen.

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 09:01 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, sometimes you crack me up. I like you. LOL
You are a knowledgeable and gifted caller/howler and you may be as good as Brent.
But Rich, you're taking an open reed up against a KeeKee Howler. That's like taking a knife to a gun fight. [Smile]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 09:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Blue Collar Comedy Tour rides again. I don't care who you are, that's funny!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 09:24 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Guns don't kill people, hubands who come home early do. If I spell a word wrong, can I blame it on my pencil?

--------------------

brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2006 10:42 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
"I just shot him, the bullets and the fall killed him."

Collateral

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2006 07:48 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
Another open reed versus latex howler thread! [Eek!]
The best way to hear for ones self is to buy the video and hear for yourself. The realism you get from one of the latex howlers is awesome. I've used both kinds and from experience, can say,
you'll be amazed at the authenticity of the latex howler. [Smile]

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 06:32 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Realism? http://photos.championtannery.com/cronk/cronk_yip_howl_echo.wav

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 07:09 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Rich [Cool]
Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 09:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another Ford/Chevy deal.

I listened to Rich Cronk's sound right now, it's very good. I am sure I coudn't do better.

I have and use both types. I do think the Higgins Howler which has a latex reed, produces more mellow tones, if that is the right word. Do mellow tones make a difference in response? I doubt it?

As has been said many times, all calls work, just as all fishing lures work. I have seen bad callers manage to call a coyote. Which leads me to believe that sometimes, coyotes aren't very discriminating?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
You are exactly right. The coyotes are the only judges that really matter.

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 10:18 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, do you care if I save some of your howls to my MP3 and test them in the field?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 10:25 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,
That would be ok by me. If you shoot me an E mail and let me know what sounds you want, I could send you a few. cronkcalls@aol.com

--------------------

Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 10:43 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
My reply would be this,
Take Brent or Higgins and latex,
Take Scott Huber and his voice,
Take Cronk and his open reed, and send them in three different directions from the same starting point and see who gets the most replys. My bet would be on Hubers voice howl.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 10:58 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rich, I'll send you an email later today or tomorrow (when I can get my email up...)

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Huber's voice howl? I thought that was a secret?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:28 AM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Leonard.. Ford / Chevy debate..lol

I was razzin Mr. Cronk over at PM about this same thing here. I know open reeds work just as well as latex or Scott's voice..lol.. when coyote calling.

How about a soundbite Scott?

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:38 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Well it is sort of a secret, but a few of us know the truth. Cal has probably heard Scott's voice howl and so have I. Cal has not heard MY voice howl yet. I am much better than Scott Huber even. Don't believe me? Just ask the coyotes.

Lord, I apologize for that right up there. Please be with the starving pygmies down there in Africa--Amen

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 11:46 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a link to my coyote voice howl, but here is a link to my wolf version.
http://photos.championtannery.com/cronk/RCwolfer.wav

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters