The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » A few new calls (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A few new calls
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 11:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, we've already been waiting (how many) seasons?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31542 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 01:32 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
K,

I think could use an updated version.

I do have some pieces laying around you can have. Mostly cedar, hackberry, hickory, and some exotic odds and ends for the most part.

I know I have more...and more unique. I'll have to look around and see what else is there when I get home next week.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Okay?  -

As for fairy book endings, I can't promise that.

Leonard,

None of you guys knew me the first season, so you have been waiting five seasons (when this one ends, if it isn't over already?).

Believe me, NOBODY is as disappointed as I am.

Brad,

Lemme know what you find

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 06:50 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

Got your email and sent one back. Thanks again. Lookin forward to trying that call.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay guys (NASA, Andy, and Scrufy),

Sorry about the delay. I've had a bum tooth, and wasn't able to "properly field test" these calls.

They are in the mail, on the way, now.

Each call has a spare single reed (inside the call), which works well for coyote vocalizations, you can keep this (flat)in your wallet.
(*Note flattening out the double-stacked reed will damage it).

I put a (very basic) two call lanyard in with each call too.

Scruffy's and Andy's calls have a different type of air channel design I've been using to try and "soften" the pitch break.

I was really just guessing what "tune" each of you could use (and each is unique), so let me know what you think (good or bad), we can always change it if necessary. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks krusty!!! Should be here in time for the weekend! [Big Grin]

I do have a question on the double reed, I know you mentioned that the coyote vocalizations at the begin and end sound "duckishly" with the double reed. Is the "duckishly" sound just on the howls or does pup distress also begin/end "duckishly"?

It's not a problem either way, just curious. I'll probably be doing alot of pup distress this spring (it's worked well in the past for me) on some cattle farms, maybe I should use the single reed during that time of year?

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy,

It's mostly the howls and grown-up barks, that are adversely affected by the double reed.
Your call should do yips and cries, very well, as is.

You might consider the single reed, that's why I send them along, not everyone is thrilled by the double-stack sound.

Another option is, you can lift up the top reed (with your lip between them) and use just the soundreed. You can do this to make coyote vocalizations, or to make two different distress sounds (and sound more like two different calls).

Krusty  -

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 14 posted February 15, 2006 12:53 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! I'll let you know when it arrives. I can't wait to get it out on stand. [Cool]

later,
scruffy

[ February 15, 2006, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 6 posted February 15, 2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Krusty. Cant wait to try it out....

Andy

--------------------
Andy

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 07:46 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Krusty, I got the call in the mail last friday!!! Haven't gotten it on stand yet (didn't have it with me Saturday, along with alot of my other calling gear..., when I made one stand) but I have tested it outside with the stacked reed, very interesting, and I love the distress sounds out of it. Took a little getting use to, but I like it.

Sunday I did some more playing. Since I wanted to be able to lone howls on this call (I'm carrying two hand calls right now with the ecaller, one closed, one open, I use the open for opening the stand with a couple howls) so I was going to put the single reed in it. I used a micrometer (which is never very far away [Wink] ) and measured the stacked reeds (.010 and .015) and the single reed (.015). Since you said you start with the bottom reed (.010), get it sounding good, then put a top reed on it, I decided to cut a .010 reed (same dementions as the .015 reed) to compare to the .015 reed you sent. I put the .010 reed in it, WOW, I love the pup howls I can do on it! [Big Grin] It also did wonderful distress sound, both pup and rabbit, as well. I haven't tried the .015 single reed yet, I like the .010 so well I'll have a hard time pulling it off I think. [Wink]

But next fall, when the calls role changed from "pup howler" to "rabbit distress" I'll put the stacked reed set back in. I think the fall pups will think it's to die for. [Wink] (sorry, bad humor..... [Razz] )

I also wanted to thank you for the lanyard. I had one similar to it that I lost over a year ago. I've looked and looked and looked and couldn't find one. I took yours, and some cord I had, and used yours as a template. By looking at the knots on your lanyard, and 45 minutes, I taught myself how to tie the knots. Then I spent then next hour after that trying to make the knots look as good as yours (which I never did, but they're tight and look exactly like yours, just not as neat and tidy, obviosly because you have alot more experience than an hour and 45 minutes tieing them, LOL!) I took my "replica" and am putting it in the safe to keep as a "backup" incase I loose yours. And if I loose yours I'll use my "replica" as a template and make another before I loose it also. (pulling my fleece hood off before taking off my lanyard sometimes results in the lanyard coming off also, landing on the ground, I don't hear it, and hense walk off without it. Most of the time I hear it land or go back for it and find it when I realize I've lost it, but once I couldn't find it... [Frown] ) Oh, and one of the reasons I love the lanyard so much is I can loosen the middle knot and adjust the bottom lanyard loop down a bit so the calls don't hit. Makes for quiet walking.

But thanks again Krusty, it sounds and looks great!!! I love the size, fits my hand perfectly. If the coyotes like it half as much as I do the back of my truck will be filled with fur every weekend. [Big Grin]

later,
scruffy

[ February 20, 2006, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 10:06 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine today Krusty. Thanks again and Ill let you know as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

Thanks
Andy

--------------------
Andy

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy,

I'm so glad you had some of the reed material, on hand, to make the call play the way YOU like.

If you loose the double-stack reedset, or ever have any trouble at all, I'll warranty these calls as long as I am alive and able.

The lanyards are really no big deal at all. [Big Grin]
They just take a minute or three to whip out, and it's only about 30 cents worth of cord (at the most).

Andy,

I'm glad it made it there, the U.S.P.S. has been really good to me, but I still worry while they have em.

Treat that ol' workhorse call as well as you'd treat one of your rifles, and hopefully it'll do it's job well too.

Thanks to you guys, for giving them good homes, to me it's kind of like giving a good hunting dog to a friend.
I can't keep and hunt with them all.

Krusty  -

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 11:16 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you loose the double-stack reedset, or ever have any trouble at all, I'll warranty these calls as long as I am alive and able
Hey, I almost had to take you up on that offer. When I made the .010 reed and put it on the call for testing I left the stacked reed and the .015 reed sitting on the table next to the lanyard I made. When I came back to get them later to put the reeds in the safe the reeds were gone were gone, the lanyard setting there lonely.

I went into the living room and asked my wife "where did you put my reeds?" Her response "I threw them away, I didn't know what they were." (She knew what they were... When I said "where did you put my reeds" she knew exactly what I was talking about... [Roll Eyes] ) I spent the next 10 minutes digging in the trash for them, then washed them off really really good and layed them back out to dry. Might have a hint of coffee ground taste now... [Cool]

I was very hesitant "altering" your call by putting on a different reed on it, but in the end the call was made to be used, and part of using a call is changing reeds for the desired audience's ears when necessary. So I tried it out, and I'm glad I did. I love the sound!

Thanks again Krusty!

later,
scruffy

[ February 20, 2006, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 01:33 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scruffy's and Andy's calls have a different type of air channel design I've been using to try and "soften" the pitch break.
This is also very interesting. I took a double take when I saw it, scratched my head a bit, asked myself "how does that work?", then blew threw it and liked the sound. Very interestesting idea!!!

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 02:27 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it just a bit while ago.... Its going to take some getting used to, as expected, but its got good sound, Krusty. I got a good yip/howl, right off the bat. In a small call like that, it will be great for that, if nothing else.

I also got some good distress calls. But, me being not the most seasoned with a open reed call, and not using one in a while, its gonna take a while to get what I want out of it. But I do believe the call is very capable.

Thanks
Andy

--------------------
Andy

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters