The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Minaska Bandit (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Minaska Bandit
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
How easy is it to change sound cards. Would it make sense just to have a card for coons? Might be easier to remember the numbers?

Plan on makeing a call in a couple of days

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 01:14 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Flip up 2 locking latches to open case. Grasp compact flash card between thumb and forefinger. Remove card from call. That's about it. [Wink]

There are 10 different coon sounds on one bank. A flash memory card holds 100 sounds, so I don't know what you'd do with 100 different coon calls. I only used 2 and got run over, lol. [Big Grin]

[ October 04, 2006, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 01:54 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Nasa

Can you explain how this works?

Audio In Jack (MP3, CD, Tape Player)

Dennis

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 03:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, it is for downloading from their or any other website? Or from a CD or MP3 player. The thing I am unsure of, is what to do with the sound location, or how to save it and put it somewhere else? In other words, you have to sacrifice one sound to install another. Well, I wouldn't want to do that necessarily, but I would like to group my sounds with a little more logic, like all the bird sounds on one bank and all the coyote sounds on one bank, and all the rabbit sounds on one bank. The reason is; I can't remember #5-0 and remember # 1-6, and why is "hurt bird" #2-9 in the bank with all the coyote voices? So, if I wanted sound #0-8 on bank #2 with all the coyote sounds, I'd lose hurt bird, right? While I understand that you have to install the sounds somewhere, I can't be refering to a card all the time to get the corrct one, and I cannot remember 100 addresses. Therefore, I need my own personal logic system, like all similiar sounds grouped together.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 07:35 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How easy is it to change sound cards
If you want you can set-up seperate cards but it is very easy to move your sounds add a few of your old favorites whatever you want. First I would save all the original sounds that come loaded on the memory card to a file on your computer usually in your documents. Then go to:
https://www.minaskaoutdoors.com/store/utility.asp
and download our FREE sound utility. You will need to install the .Net framework with the link on our website BEFORE downloading our utility. This program will allow you to make any changes you want very quickly and print off a new menu card. You can also preview the sounds right there before you decide what bank you want to put them in.

Todd Borland
Minaska Outdoors

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Todd,
Can you drag and drop sounds from your computer files in MP3 format to the call?

This is very interesting....

I may be in the market.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 08:02 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can you drag and drop sounds from your computer files in MP3 format to the call?
Yes just put the Compact Flash card into the reader writer or CF port on your PC and you can drag and drop MP3 files Off and On the card you just need to number them 000 - 099. This is much easier to do with the sound utility plus you will want to print a new menu card to fit the back of the remote when you are done.

Thanks

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 08:13 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonards logic system is exactly what I'm planning to do. Probably for the same reasons, too. But since I don't carry my computer around with me, I think I get another flash card for back up. 200 sounds ought to hold me, lol. [Big Grin]
The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 08:22 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,

Sorry I missed this part.

quote:
Audio In Jack (MP3, CD, Tape Player)
This is a jack that allows you to hook up a MP3, CD or Tape player and play them through the amplifier and speaker in the call. You can also hook up a microphone if you want to practice up on your Karaoke skills or walk around the house and piss off your wife. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2006 08:24 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I loaded my sound card exactly as Leonard explained and for the same reason. I did put rodent squeaks in the 0 slot on every bank.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 12:06 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hook up a microphone ..... and piss off your wife.
Oh yeah, I can hear it now, "Hey, attention in the kitchen. Are those wings done yet? And we need some more beer in here too!" [Big Grin]
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 12:17 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
How big is that sound utility program? I'm on a land line at home and download at about 3kbs per second [Mad] Is that available on disk and will any or all of your new sound additions be avaiable on disk?

Dennis

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,
I haven't gotten around to updating my own Bandit. I have the ten sound model, and do have a second flash card. That is twenty sounds that I carry with me. My problem is that I can't even remember which button those twenty sounds are under. The drag and drop feature makes it so dang easy, and I change a sound or two here and there fairly often. I have some of my favorite sounds stored on CD, and also some on floppy's. My computer has bookoo sounds stored in download folder, My Documents folder and calling sounds folder. If the computer crashes and you don't have those sounds saved on a disk you are SOL. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
If I wanted to download some of the JS CD's, is there room in the banks on the card for the full twenty minute tracks of sound or the eighty mintes per CD?

Dennis

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2006 09:56 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, I don't think it is necessary to load the full 20 minutes. Only need one loop and the mp3 automatically starts that sound again. I have loaded a full 5 minutes of one sound on one bank with no problems.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2006 12:12 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
I loaded mine in a very different fashion from what some of you describe and it has worked well. It's based on the idea that once you're using a ten-sound bank of sounds, you can switch from one sound to another within the bank with one touch of the keypad.

0- a bird sound
1- baby rabbit
2- cottontail
3- jackrabbit
4- large mammal (fawn, doe, goat, calf, antelope etc.)
5- coyote - young
6- coyote - invitation howl
7- coyote - barking
8- rodent distress coaxer
9- coyote adult distress or pup distress

So I've got about 4 banks loaded that way, and regardless of the exact sound, I know I can hit 0 if I think a cat is on his way in, or a 7 if a coyote challenges the call, an 8 if I need a coaxer, or a 9 after the shot, and so on. Not much thinking is required to get the kind of sound I need - even if it's not exact. I can switch banks when I switch stands, but use one-touch usually while I'm on a stand.

The other 6 banks are loaded as LB described, divided by birds, rodents, coyotes, cats, crows, foxes, and large predators.

The new Bandit remotes have a lanyard attachment - which makes the remote easier to use - instead of requiring a holster on your hip etc.

Edit: I also found that loading one-minute loops on the caller is very useful too. I got into the habit of counting the loops instead of looking at my watch to keep track of how many minutes I've been on a stand and it keeps my movement to a minimum.

[ October 12, 2006, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2006 03:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a response from Steve, yesterday. One thing I asked for was a way to charge the caller in the truck, but he said they don't have that yet? I think that is a very important item. In fact, I suppose it is possible to run the caller on automotive 12V dc? Is there an imput jack for that?

Good hunting. LB

edit:PS, Gary, I like your method, I will probably do the same for one or two banks.

[ October 12, 2006, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2006 03:53 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I too would like a 12V DC charger, I don't think it would be hard? Unless they would need something added for DC? Option would be to purchase another battery for 16.00 and it would hold a charge much better than NIMHD batterys.2 gel cells should get a guy 5-6 days of calling.

That is the option I'm thinking of, if it will be awhile to get 12 V DC charger. Most guys could find AC power source in a few days which a guy can get out of that battery or buy a power inverter for your truck.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
8 AA Batteries create a 12V system.

You should be able to run down to Radio Shack, Pick up a cigarette lighter plug, a piece of wire and a plug to match the battery charger port for just a few bucks and run it from the truck.

I'm looking at the Bandit - M1, does anyone else sell this unit, or only the manufacturer?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2006 06:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have mine at the campout, Tim. It's the M1 combo deal. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2006 07:58 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a 12V power cord a couple of years ago to charge any 12V power pack. Male 12 lighter jack to two alligator clips. I use it to charge the Bandit, the WT, and my own TOA backpack digital (the super caller) or any other gel cell or battery pack for that matter. With the Bandit, I just open the case, clip the cord to the battery, and the truck alternator charges it completely in about 30 minutes.
Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2006 09:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can do that, too. But, I was thinking it would be nice and clean to have an input receptacle for a jack, with a cig lighter on the other end. I can rig some alligator clips, if need be.

Oh, forgot. The aux port/jack to the decoy is a rather loose fit. I had to jiggle it a couple times to make the decoy work, on remote.

I charged my unit overnight, and it got hot as hell. Talking to Steve, he said to recharge the batteries from the wall charger only for a couple hours, so I guess it doesn't trickle down automatically? I wondered if the batteries were okay, as hot as they were? Don't know the answer?

Still need to ring it out, actual hunt conditions.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

5shots
Member # 427

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2006 08:47 PM      Profile for 5shots           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't painted my Bandit but it still works great!  -
Posts: 28 | From: glendive,mt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2006 07:46 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
So Mr. Leonard... what is your summary of this calling device?

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2006 10:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Norm, I have not decided. I am waiting on Steve, should have been here by now?

I'll eventually have something to say, count on it. I hope it's positive.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters