The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » My Dog Ate My Homework (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My Dog Ate My Homework
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 06:45 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I have been on a run of luck. My wife and boys got me a crossbow for fathers day. Since I cant pull my bow anymore due to back, neck and shoulder problems. Wednesday, I traded a guy a Bushmaster AR15 for a bond that I got a total of $250 tied up in and it is in great shape.

Debating on whether to get an upper for it, or my other AR, in 204 for calling or 50 BMG for playing and the war when it starts, of course.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 09:01 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Look's like the Scorpian X1A and X1B are pretty much the same ?

The remotes are different, and the X1A comes with 100 sounds and the X1B with 50.

Is the remote better on the X1B ? I'm only guessing, hell I feel like a PMS guy..Lol !

(Edit) I'm not very good at internet research, been to FP's site and allpredatorcalls.com

My head hurts ! information overload !

[ June 26, 2010, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2010 12:29 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

My records show that your "original" was a little mesquite job, fairly cylindrical, like a long CritR Call... does this thing look familiar?

-

I dunno if I have any mesquite left, but I thought that once before, and I did. [Wink]

And if I'm correct, then, the one the boy has is the plum wood call;

-

Let me know one way or the other, and I'll see what I can figure out, I'll have almost five weeks off before the fall quarter starts.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2010 03:54 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
You are spot on Krusty. I liked them both. Like I said, I wont take the boys. If you get time to make another, out of any wood, please do so and let me know what I owe.

Very good calls. I use mine for a howler as well as other sounds.

--------------------
Andy

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2010 08:54 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom that is Aaron Glenn and the red river bandit. Nice prouction open reed call. I use quite a bit. Joe Bradshaw will bulid you what you want.

$500 for a CS24 - make 500 plus stands a year and that price don't hurt at all.
stay after them
Kelly

PS Miller Lite rules...

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 07:10 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, its not so much the actual money. It just burns my ass these guys charge so much for a glorified MP3 player. Keep puttin bells and whistles on it and people will pay the price.

I guess maybe I look at it wrong? Lots of people are gettin rich on hunters and fishermen. Mainly because they know we will buy the latest and greatest, hoping it might give us an edge, for whatever reason.

Ill use fishing as an example. For years, in the winter and early spring, we used stick baits around here to catch bass that would suspend. Smithwick Rogues were the main bait of choice. I literally still have hundreds of Rogues in my little storage house. Right before my back quit and I had to quit fishin in 2003, some Japanese companys came out with a bait called the Pointer. It threw a little better than a Rogue in the wind and you didnt have to have any knowledge or skill to weight the bait to make it suspend, it would do it right out of the box. People bought them damn things by the handfull. The kicker was it was $17 each compared to $4 for a Rogue, but like I said, anyone could fish them, no skill required. I bought a few, but the old Rogues still caught fish. Now I guess there is even a better one, so Im told, that costs $35. I dont know what it does that is so much better, but I guess it does cause people buy it. Notice eary on I changed from calling them Fishermen to People. I have a couple of friends that still fish and they tell me the old Rogues still catch em just fine.

That long winded explaination is kind of the way I feel about these electronic callers. Build it and they will come and buy it.

--------------------
Andy

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 08:02 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy - I do understand.
Pointer 78. Yep they work better than the rouges I spend WAY too much time on getting them to "hang" just right.
I have not had my bass boat out in 3 plus years.
Still have a little tourny bag made up and fish one from time to time when one of my old partners call.

On another note I drew Larry Nixon one time in a BASS mega bucks tourny. Sure did enjoy that day.

Catch you later
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 08:23 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, the beauty of the Rogue was the weighting. Every one was different, so it took some skill and observation. Some I would weight to sit flat and still. Some nose down. Some tail down. Some to rise slightly and some to sink slowly and some to sink fast. They would all suspend at the thermocline so if those fish were deeper, you could weight one of those suckers to sink fast and stop at the thermo.

That was the skill involved. Some days they wanted them doing different things. Figger it out and it made a difference in going to the pay window and a trip to the stage and loading up early.

--------------------
Andy

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 10:37 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andy,
Sent you an email...

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, sent you an email.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 11:08 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Al, I'll read it when I get home tonight.
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 11:26 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger, I sent you a email back. Thank you.

Kelly, the circuits I fished, Central Pro Am and Heartland Pro Am, along with Midwest Outdoors Team Trai, only fished one lake in Oklahoma. Grand Lake. One of my favorites. It is almost identical to here, Lake of the Ozarks, only much smaller. It fishes the same, minus the willow trees.

My favorite lake to fish is Tablerock. If you pattern fish on that lake, you can do it anywhere on the lake, almost, and they are pretty easy to figure out. Dont know why?

Anyway, I always wanted to fish more OK lakes. Ive heard good things.

--------------------
Andy

RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 11:44 AM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
I can agree with Andy, all the bells and whistles aren't needed to call in a coyote.

But then again, I don't need Sirius in my truck. I was reading this post while on a trip to Colorado this weekend and had a lot of time behind the wheel. sometimes I just drive. Sometimes I drive and "thunk". During one of my "thunkin" moments I began to ponder where will E-Callers be in a couple years.

Electronic callers have been used since before I began calling back in the mid 80's. Even the "old pros" (Burnham, Stewart, Carlson, etc )recognized the purported advantages to electronic callers.

In the 80's when I began calling I was driving a truck with a standard shift, AM/FM radio, and hoped the AC would work during the summers. If I wanted to call home, I had to go find a pay phone. I owned one hand call, a rifle, and one set of camo. The boots I wore were the same ones I worked in and they would leak when I stepped in dew wet grass.

Contrast that to this weekend. While on the trip, I had a GPS mounted on the dash of my 4WD pickup, listening to Sirius Radio, my cell phone which has internet capabilities and could read this thread while at a truck stop getting dinner. Instant updates via Text with my wife back home so she knew I was OK. When I went through Colorado Springs, I used Facebook from my I-Phone to make contact with a guy (served as best man at my son's wedding)that served in Iraq with my oldest boy and we met for dinner at a restuarant he told me to meet him at. Used my GPS to get there. All of this ahppening with an ease that was unthinkable back in the 80's.

This whole trip was made with the express purpose of meeting guys I become acquainted with via the internet and hunting forums. Just imagine without advancements in technology, very few of us reading this would even know the others existed and sure would not have forged the friendships without places like this.

Now back to E-callers-Will there be updates next year that we hav to pay for in order to call coyotes? NO

Will there be updates we CAN pay for to call coyotes? absolutely

Will any of these updates help a novice ourdoorsman become a better coyote caller? probably not

Use the items you want to use that fit your techniques and needs.

Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought I would have the $$$ I have invested in shooting a coyote.

Pickup, calls , caller, rifles, optics, camo,etc etc.

Andy, don't waste money on an E caller, I don't care what brand you get and get something less. From an old school, old guy, you will find it worth it.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 05:22 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that advice is directed at Andy, but I'm nosey anyway and sitting here scratching my head? What exactly are you saying Randy?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31471 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 05:26 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Al,I didn't get it for some reason ? If ya wanna' try again I'd appreciate that.
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 05:41 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that went over my head too. Please clarify Randy. [Confused]

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 05:43 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, whats your advice Uncle Elbee? I value your opinion very much. Should I spend the big bucks for the fancy model that cooks breakfast or go for the bare bones that makes the same sounds, minus the breakfast?

--------------------
Andy

Possumal
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 05:50 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, the email was hung up in my Outbox for some reason. You should have it now.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Possumal
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 05:56 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, I don't think an ecaller is a magic wand for coyote hunting. I do think that it is a valuable tool that will enhance your hunting experience. I think you need to be proficient with hand/mouth calls, and if you use them in conjunction with your ecaller, good things will happen. Basic hunting skills are still the most important, especially the set up. Good hunting at ya!

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 06:01 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, are you against buying second hand. Seems like guys buy and sell'em without even breakin'em in. SOme darn good deals can be had if ya look and ain't in a hurry to buy.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 06:49 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Will any of these updates help a novice ourdoorsman become a better coyote caller? probably not

Getting back to the statement I made on the other thread for which Cal thought he would bust my chops, the point was, at what point do guys who rely upon all the technology cease to be what we who have used hand calls and done so successfully regard to be true coyote callers, "better" or otherwise?

My point there, as well as my point here is that the business of calling is dumbing things down so much that scarcely but a small minority of today's coyote hunters can actually tell you why something they do works, and worse yet, why something they do is screwing them out of fur. Maybe we're the minority, but I cited what I though is a very sincere truism about calling coyotes in a recent article and only a few folks caught it - If you spend the majority of your time trying to become a better coyote caller focusing your attention on learning about the coyotes rather than on the calling, things will work themselves out much faster.

An e-caller is only as good as the guy using it, and getting the most out of an e-caller is no different than getting the most out of a hand call. You need to know why it works to know when it works best. What they do is very simple, so buying what you need may involve buying a basic unit and being quite happy with it. It depends upon what you want to do with it and how quickly you can learn when and how to use it to its full potential.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 07:18 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Al, E-mail recieved !
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
TR, hell no I aint against used stuff.

Where do you look for these deals? If you see a good deal on a caller, let me know please. [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2010 10:19 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Andy;
Check out EBay under 'Predator Call'. I've seen FoxPro 416s w/remote go for under a hundred bucks. You just never know what's going to be offered, but if you're not in a hurry..........

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters