The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » gizmo user or a hand call only guy? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: gizmo user or a hand call only guy?
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2011 09:56 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto with those who use both, without much thought to anything other than what seems most effective to produce a shot in the circumstances. As said by others, calling is a tool I use in hunting. A purist I ain't.

I do a fair bit of calling with sounds I make with my voice, some of which I have recorded and put on my e-caller. Timing is critical on some of these sounds for some animals and a voice call is quickest (and always legal) when I'm choosing the sound second by second based on body language and action of a moving critter

I've never figured out how to quote a previous post, but sure agree with what Paul Melching said:

"I started out using hand calls only and really enjoy calling an animal to my location. But there is a lot to be said for puting them where you want them and for thise e- calls cant be beat."

[ May 08, 2011, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2011 04:10 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the e-callers, but use both. I have had the e-caller puke on me too many times not to carry a few hand calls.

I like the howlers too over the e-callers howls. When I really want to pretend that I know "Coyote Speak" I'll use my Elks Howler.

Critter calls and a few Primo's, all open reads.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2011 12:15 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
The four or five hand calls I use most are a Richard Grantham call that is amazing, Cronk Killer Call, which is a do it all call and the Verminators calls, Psycho and Turbo Tweety and a Krusty Krier.

Really, the call that is most versatile and Ii call in most animals with, is probably the Richard Grantham enclosed reed call. Rabbit distress, fox distress, turkey sounds, hawk sounds, pup whines, mouse squeaks, fawn bleats, jackrabbit, chicken... The sounds I can get are seemingly endless... Love the Killer Call as well, it ain't cute but works rain, sun, sleet or snow.

I have a couple new calls on order, right now, that I can't wait to get my hands on [Smile]

[ June 10, 2011, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2011 07:36 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Make and use my own handcalls.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 638 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention in my previous post, both Cronk and Niko hooked me up with their custom calls, they sound excellent and will be my go to calls this fall.

Thank you both, I appreciate it.. [Cool]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2011 01:43 PM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Crit-R-Call and a Dennis Krik howler is all that I use. Still have my first Crit-r-call it is an old white one. It is about 30yrs old.
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2011 01:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't white, any more?

gh/lb

edit: mine is closer to 40 years old, I would recon?

[ June 11, 2011, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31471 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2011 07:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few green colored ones and one gray one.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5075 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2011 02:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple Crit'R Calls and thy are green. Back in the "old" days they had more colors [Smile]
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2011 06:30 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/Toys/IMG_1069.jpg[/IMG]]  - [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2011 08:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Are those notches kinda like the old west? Each one represents a kill?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2011 02:03 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just guessing but the notches are a place to put his kisser to get a certain sound consistently. Maybe not, but that's my guess [Smile] Bottom cottontail, top jackrabbit...

Edit: A PLACE TO PUT THE CONSTRICTION BAND AT! duh... Same idea applies. Bottom cotton, top jack.

[ July 01, 2011, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2011 03:32 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep smithers you win.. Except low pitch and high pitch cotton-tail.. The Reds are a little fussy here to what sounds you use..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2011 06:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't a serious question, but. Isn't that what your teeth are for?

gh....lb

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2011 07:29 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't take your post seriously. I was just trying to be right ONCE today. My wife never let's me be right so... I gotta come here and try.

Teeth? No, tooth. Tim's tooth gives it a much cleaner sound than he's looking for. Now, using the lips will make that call just a tinge raspier, which is what the fox in his area like [Smile]

[ July 01, 2011, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2011 08:08 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard they'll work to.. Actually I like to find the tone that the animals I'm calling for like and I find this by just useing the band and move it till I find a sweet spot and then mark it with the grooves and then hit the same spot everytime....

--------------------

ARDave
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2011 04:33 PM      Profile for ARDave           Edit/Delete Post 
All I use anymore are the TC Diaphragms. Very realistic and hands free.

--------------------
-Dave

Nothing is free.

Posts: 44 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted July 06, 2011 05:38 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard some really great sounds made using diaphragm calls.

I'm guessing the soft tissues in the mouth and muscle flexing is more like what happens in the vocalizations of a wild critter.

My problem is using a diaphragm call with dentures! LOL I just can't seem to get the sounds right. The ELK type calls seem to be my best option. My favorite calls are still my own enclosed reeds.

Nikonut

[ July 06, 2011, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Nikonut ]

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters