The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Ladders (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ladders
Seldom Ever
Knows what it's all about
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2003 05:25 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow,those are really nice,thanks for the pics! I could use one of those on the river bottom locally!

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

Posts: 293 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 06:43 AM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
thanks,Seldom Ever

I used 1 1/4 tubing, swivels from boat seats. I used a chain for the bracing on mine, it was easier to put on than the solid bracing that I put on my buddy's. Height to seat is 6'6". We have packed them in several places, I wouldn't want to haul it more than a 1/2 mile. but anything under that it is okay.

You mentioned bottoms and that is one of the reasons that I built these. we have some spots that you just can't call without them, the growth is so tall.

If you want to build one drop me a line and I will get you my phone number. I get the tape out and give you the dimensions.

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 01:26 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be giving you a shout come closer to hunting season,maybe August or September.Wonder if those could be made out of schedule 40 pipe ?

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 02:04 PM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah as long as you are the one carrying it. lol.. I don't intend to haul three 7.5' sticks of schedule 40 anywhere.

I already look like a pack mule now. camera gun mist butt cushion sticks.

should be sturdy though.

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Seldom Ever
Member # 185

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 02:30 PM      Profile for Seldom Ever   Email Seldom Ever         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking 3 foot pieces of 2 inch SCH40,joined together with couplers when needed.You could carry the whole thing in a back pack if you did it right.

--------------------
One Shot,One Kill.

howler
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2003 08:04 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to make a little comment about the treestand that screwed to the tree, These really aren't recommended becasue the screws have a tendacy to work loose by wind swaying tree, and if it sits for a month or so or a few weeks-well
it might give way

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Howler,

While disagreement hasn't gone well for me here lately... I am going to still have to disagree anyway.
Not to be argumentative... just to calculate all the risks (my risk calculator has a few more numbers on it than the average guy's).

I have not used that type of stand, but the one I found in the woods was more than a year old (an educated guess), and it was still plenty sturdy.

I have a "practice tree" in my yard (for climbing) and it has ten stainless steel bolts and hangers installed in it... (Stainless hardware would be the obvious choice, to me, for a treestand too)

Like these:

-

I first worried about them working loose over time or with repeated bodyweighting of the lag bolts holding them to the tree.
This has not been the case, a tree grows larger from the outside layer... this has made each placement tighter and less prone to falling out, in fact the tree has grown a lot tighter around the threads and removing them at all will be quite difficult.

Yes, some caution when leaving the ground is always a good idea... gravity is a cruel mistress... and you cannot escape her... if she gets her grips on you, you'll be sorry!

Treestands kill or injure about as many hunters as guns do (I'd bet) look at the safety improvements they've had to make... harnesses, safety straps, railings etc.

Anyone who goes up... must come down.

Try to do it in a manner that won't include a Dr.s visit.

Jeff  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, don't sweat it, you make good contributions. We sure as heck needn't fear disagreement.

A pet peeve of mine is the person that believes he is more informed on every issue, when it is conceded that he is expert in one area.

I work with a guy that knows more computer application than I ever will know, or want to know, and I admit it.

He also thinks he knows more about politics, guns, human interaction, etc. And that's
open for discussion.

I nicknamed him "Sal 9000". He liked it so much, I later guessed
it was the password he was using, and I was right! Twice, slightly modified!

Oh well, don't despair. Good luck on the job search, too!

Good hunting. LB

edit: spelling

[ May 22, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard,

I try to post in a positive manner, it's just good internet manners.

I actually don't fear much, definitely not a disagreement... I just have been too busy with my fledgling call making business for my usual longwinded debates, and I have had some really persistant, and unlikely foes lately. lol [Smile] It looked like that might be the way this could go.

I try not to come off as an expert about everything, I have a lot to learn about most I think.
As an arborist, a contractor, and a climber I felt qualified in at least this area...

Howlers advise to use this type of attachment to a tree with caution is well founded and well taken by me.
I will agree that no stand should be attched to more than one trunk or more than one tree... trees create incredible dynamic forces with even just a small amount of wind.

I don't know where this job search thing has come from... but I appreciate any luck I can get. [Wink]
I am gainfully self employed, in this Bush economy many people are having trouble making ends meet... I am one of them, as are many of the clients I work for. This has stressed me to the limits financially.
But I am not searching for work anymore than any other person in my line of work.

I shoulda been an ant... instead of a grasshopper.

Jeff  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Terry Hunter
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Terry Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I have not tried the ladder its to heavy and I travel light.I have shot a few coyotes from deer stands,tractors and bulldozers.After a tractor has set in the pasture a few days coyotes pay little notice of it.
Posts: 132 | From: N. Middle Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2003 04:12 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

That is funny about the bulldozer, I wonder if the animals see it as a friend... it makes good trails! [Wink]

My brothers favorite elk story is of the logger who everyday drove past the same clearing and watched a huge bull elk gather a harem... on opening day he drove up and without stopping the bulldozer shot the huge bull! [Big Grin]
Then he picked it up with the blade and carried it to the barn!

Gotta love that! The woodsman and his prize...

Jeff  -

--------------------

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 01:10 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I agree 100% Leonard. Just to think we went to the same high school together. You must have taken that same Predator calling class lol. Just think about it, three guys from the same school about the same time. All three competed against each other in state predator hunting championships for years and years, never knowing we all went to the same school together. Kinda hard to believe but it's true. I wonder how many coyotes, bobcats, gray fox and badgers bit the dust at the hands of the old El Monte boys? [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2003 01:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What, you never killed a lion?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2003 09:30 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Not in California lol.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters