The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Which Howler? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Which Howler?
Timberghozt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 03:22 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an ELK howler and it is wicked.Sounds sweet as can be.The only other howler I have tried that I like is the Johny Stewart one with the megaphone on it. [Wink] I threw away my Knight and hale howler,sounds like shit and I never could get it right... [Frown]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Just a quick update. I sent two versions of Cronk voice howls off to have clickable links made out of them. I also wanted to let you know that I am now a prostaff man for Minaska outdoors, so I will be out calling more. My time on your board will be a little bit less, but I will check back when I can. Wish me luck please. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 05:11 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Rich! Maybe they can put that fry pan-scuffle on the bandit? I think it'll work. I'm glad I'm not married to Mrs Cronk? [Smile]

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 14 posted January 17, 2006 05:40 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich..your wolf howl is awesome!

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 05:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, congratulations, Rich, and good luck to you!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2006 06:09 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you will do a lot better than a couple of various "Prostaffers" that I've seen on TV this afternoon.

One was on an Archery Boar hunt in South Carolina. He made the comment that "Something must be in the air today" As the hogs were all moving fast out of his area.

I yelled at the TV, "Hey genius, maybe if you'd learn to sit still and shut up, you wouldn't spook everything before you get a chance to shoot.

The other guy was on an Archery Antelope hunt in SD. At the shot he claimed he hit a "Little high" And that they would probably find him just over the ridge.

I bet they found him just over a ridge and down the road a few miles. The camera doesn't lie, you could see the arrow hit the Antelope in the kidneys. He shot him in early afternoon, and it was nearly dark when they took the "Glory shots"

Good luck to you Rich, it's nice to see someone with your experience level still getting jobs they deserve.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 05:43 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Here is a little recording I made last night for your enjoyment. The sound was made with my own voice alright, but I messed with the controls a bit and came up with a doozy. http://photos.championtannery.com/cronk/cronkyiphowl.wav

--------------------

Yellerdog
Member # 356

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Yellerdog   Email Yellerdog         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
That's great to hear about your new position at Minaska! I'm glad your recovered and doing well.
Keep us informed on your hunting exploits. [Smile]

--------------------
Lee Smith

Remember, we meet at dawn.

Posts: 59 | From: Southeastern Michigan | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 07:20 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, congrats on your new position!!! They make a very fine caller!

And I wanted to let you know that your lone1.wav file will be opening on my ecaller stands. [Big Grin] I saved it from your link you posted on IO, appended the file onto itself so it's now two howls, and then converted it to .MP3 for use on my mp3 player. On the front of my "playlist" (selection of tracks) I have a 1 minute silent track for me to get ready, then two RC howls ring out clear as mountain water, then 3 minutes of silence, and then 5 JS tracks that are 5 minutes a peice, 4 of those being "mixes" of JS sounds that I made like owl-crow fight mixed with cottontail cries, crow come here with canine pups, housecat distress with rodent distress (cat and mouse [Razz] ), etc.

I'm also listening to the howl and practicing my lonesome howl on my open reed calls and made some changes to how I do a lonesome howl (I was never taught, just sort of winged in based on written instruction).

And I'm sorry I haven't sent you an email taking you up on your offer of some files. I was going to do that this past weekend from my wife's laptop (where all my calling stuff is stored) using the email account that's used on that laptop (can't get into it on the pc i'm on right now...dang filters...).

But I want to thank you for your generosity, I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you or don't appreciate you generosity with your sounds! They "complete" both my ecalling and handcalling stands.

later,
scruffy

[ January 24, 2006, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
scruffy,
I hope that you pile up a bunch of coyotes with those sounds. I have a lonesome howl that I think is better than the original lone1 wav. E mail me at cronkcalls@aol.com. Here is a linkto a pretty fair challenge howl that I recorded a year or so ago with a cow horn howler. http://photos.championtannery.com/cronk/High%20pitch%20challenge.wav

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 08:06 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rich, I've saved the challenge howl as a .wav and have it ready to save over on the wife's laptop computer tonight. It sounds really good and that's the call I need to practice on the most. I've having a hard time "starting the engine" at the beginning of the howl as GS described it on an instructional tape that came with the JS howler. Just need some more practice and listening to the "goal". And I'll also most likely convert the challenge howl to .mp3 and load it on my "all" SD memory card for my e-caller as well. It's beginning to be one killer of a memory card!

And if the wife works tonight, and the baby takes a nap, I'll get you an email tonight! Even if those two things don't happen I'll try my best to get on.

I was really impressed with the lone1.wav file, especially on my ecaller. At 90+db's it was crystal clear and should wake a few coyotes up way out there. At 50% volume in the house it almost caused the housecat to wet herself. [Eek!] So I'm anticipating a howl that might even be better! Might have to put the cat in the basement before testing this one!

And I guess that brings up a question, is there too loud when it comes to howling? Should I howl at 100% to get out there or is that too loud? I imagine the cow horns are pushing 90db's also, but I might be wrong.

later,
scruffy

[ January 25, 2006, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

bigc
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I've been using Bearmanrics howlers lately, made out of buffalo I think, what do I need to send yo to get 1 or 2 of yours?

Also, lately I've been only using the challenge when I get the challenge on thier end. Do you ever start off with the challenge first?

C

Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 01:14 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
bigc,
My howlers are more expensive than Ric's. It takes a total of 80.00 to get a howler and instruction cassette delivered to your address. In answer to your howling question, I usually begin with a lonesome howl. I remember a couple of years ago however, that I made a small cow horn howler for a friend who lives near Spencer, NE. We went out after turkey season ended in the spring. We set up with me looking south, down this long ridge while my friend walked a hundred yards or so west of me with the little howler. He blew a high pitched challenge and I saw two coyotes come barreling towar me from the south, and disappeared into a shallow saddle. I heard a couple more of those high pitched challenge howls from my buddy, and then I see coyote ears protruding up from the saddle. Pretty soon a coyote stands up on his hind legs to stretch his neck and look around. I could tell that he was looking for that strange coyote he was hearing. I took a quick shot at his rib cage while he was standing on his hind legs, but missed him clean! Stupid coyote didn't know where the shot came from, so he quickly hits high gear and comes barreling straight at me while I work the bolt on the old Mauser. The coyotes makes slight right turn and zips past me at 40 yards. I swing past him like I am wing shooting a duck, trigger breaks when crosshairs are on his nose and I watch him somersault across my field of view and fall very, very dead. Do challenge howls work? Hell yes they work. [Smile]

Scruffy,
Let your howls rip out there at full blast. The coyotes won't mind. I promise they won't.

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 02:08 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rich, I'll play the howls at 100% and then drop the MP3 player down to 30% or 50% or so, whatever sounds like a natural volume for the animals involved, for the start of the distress sounds, like the owl-crow-rabbit mix. I imagine if I give the coyotes 3 minutes after your howls the coyotes will cut the distance and the distress sounds won't have to be near as loud to reach them, and too loud will just scare them off. I've had more than one coyote close to 200-300 yards on hearing coyote vocals and then sit and watch the area. And then when the distress started they came on in, and since they were so close not much volume was needed. If I had (and have in the past.... lessons learned) left the e-caller up at 80%-100% I know I would have stood a good chance of scaring them away or atleast not calling them any closer.

If the weather Saturday morning is decent I'll be testing out the howls and the mixes I have on the MP3 at first light, speaker and predator supreme decoy 20' or so infront of me, sitting near the top of a timbered finger that runs up a north facing hillside with open fields to my left and right, finger is 50' wide at the point I'll be sitting, and over looking a timbered valley/creek bottom below. The savage 22-250 will be at my side (although nearly useless in there, but I always take it...) and the 870 supermag in my hands.

I just can't have a south wind... Well, and the predicted 35 degrees and rain at first light I could live without also...

When are we going to get some cold snowy calling weather around here??? Even if there was no snow, just some temps in the single digits to teens when the sun comes up on a clear day would be nice. [Frown]

Edit: the "end of finger" strategy was told to me last year by an aquantance that hunts coyotes with old cap and ball muzzy's. I figure if it works for him and his old old traditional muzzleloaders, it should work for my 870 supermag 12 gauge with reddot. [Smile]

edit: just got word, wife isnt' working but took the daughter and went shopping with her mom. I'm leaving to try and get a stand in before it gets dark (unlikely...) and then if they still aren't home (likely) I'll get you an email sent, possibly with a photo howled in by lone1.wav. [Wink]

later,
scruffy

[ January 25, 2006, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy,
I blow my howler at full volume right from the start, but I don't know how loud your caller is. I know that I can turn my Bandit up too loud for most calling. If it is a calm day, you likely wouldn't want full volume. Common sense is the best rule.

--------------------

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, you have e-mail. [Smile]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters