The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » what is your favorite howler (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: what is your favorite howler
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 07:09 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Baja, I have a couple of Crank Howlers also.
I pull one of them out from under the door every New Years Eve and use it.
I retired the other to a place of honor when I quit hunting ducks.

-

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 07:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably not well known, but Higgins once told me that the main use of his Cronker is for filling his Magic Mist bottle.....

No, that ain't right. Lord, forgive me and remember those pigmies in Africa.

Good hunting. LB

PS, I also heard that the guy that bought that Higgin's howler on ebay is using it mainly as fashion jewelry.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31468 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 08:24 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
That’s individually machined aluminum, Rich.

It won’t quite look like that one JD, but close. I’ve been kicking an idea like that around though.

I go back and forth between the lathe and working horns. It keeps my concentration and interest balanced.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 10:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys all do awesome work. I would be afraid to hunt with one of those for fear of putting a ding or scratch on it or getting it dusty.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a new howler. Thanks to Mr. Higgins!! [Cool]

Havent got to use it much yet, but from what I have tried, it sounds great and makes some fantastic distress sounds to boot!!

And, on top of everything functional, its absolutely beautiful.

Thanks a bundle Rich. Soon as I figger out how to post pics on here, Ill take a couple and put em up!!

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
bearmanric
Member # 223

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2006 06:48 PM      Profile for bearmanric   Email bearmanric         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few Howler's i just finished. i think they sound great. my favorate howler would have to be Brad H Howler's. next to mine i have a couple cronk's. but i like younger coyote sound's. cow horn,springbok and Elk. Rick

-

[ August 18, 2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: bearmanric ]

Posts: 78 | From: Tenino Wash. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2006 08:23 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Bearman, that springbok sho nuff is fancy. what is the weight like compared to cow or buffalo horn? is it heavier or lighter? how thick is it? thanks, chris
bearmanric
Member # 223

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 07:22 AM      Profile for bearmanric   Email bearmanric         Edit/Delete Post 
lighter or the same. it's thick at the toneboard's it's as thick as the cowhorn. sound's real good to me. Rick
Posts: 78 | From: Tenino Wash. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 08:48 AM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I started making cow horn howlers last year. They are not a fancy as the ones on here but they work good. Brad H answered a few questions for me when I was starting, Thanks again Brad.
Here is a pic of some.
 -

I liked making horn howlers so much I bought a lathe. I got it 5 or 6 months ago but just started turning calls five days ago.
Here is a few pics of what I made so far.
They are in order, the 1st one I made on the left and the last one I made on the right.
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 05:37 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
The calls are looking pretty sharp, PA. Looks like you're well on your way.

That multi colored blood shot horn in the top pic ought to make someone quite a trophy. A rare find indeed.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2006 06:54 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, that one caught my eye also.
Bearmanric's work just gats better. This weekend I will post pics of all the terrific calls that he and his friends donated to the Az. State Calling Championship. I was really impressed by the artistry these calls exhibited.

PAyotehunter
Member # 764

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2006 06:05 PM      Profile for PAyotehunter   Author's Homepage   Email PAyotehunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad.
Yeah that horn is the best I had so far. When I went to get more horns I saw that one and picked it up without even looking at the price, had to have it.

Posts: 57 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2006 05:22 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a "Wiley One" Female Howler made by Jerry Hunsley(JHun)and I really like the sounds you can make with this call.Great Barks and Howls, Rabbit distress sounds,and bird distress sounds.It is a very versatile call in a lightweight very compact call.I can't wait to try it out on the real thing. [Wink] Good Hunting Chad
Posts: 1615 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters