The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Calls and Gear forum   » Martz Chart Quiz (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Martz Chart Quiz
coyote whacker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 10:43 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Never stated it as a science but you learn far more from chasing them than your going to in a 30 minute tutorial thats a fact! They don't all do the same as the next and pressure makes them far different. I think you need to understand regional dynamics and pressure before you make a blanket statement.

I call plenty without a dog. Cover at times makes a dog not as useful. Plus end of august /october a dog can be a negative not a positive.

Bill care to make a bet? You run off a family group of coyotes with your caller on a sheep kill durring the summer and keep them from eating and feeding those pups and I'll give you 500.00 if not you give me 500.00 want to take that bet? If you do, I will set it up next June! Plus I will give you the honor as master coyote guru 2010. I'm not talking of moving some pups down the road. Adult/ pup rearing coyotes. I would love to see it, as that would make my job alot easier and quicker! Care to take the bet sir?

I also play out scenarios to them that takes advantage of time of year or prey base being consumed,and using vocals to protray things that will garner responses. Nothing is 100% or do you disagree?

Bill wrote:-Wildlife don't possess the ability to structure logic. They are brain dead. Period

then wrote:5-And yes, real, high quality recorded sounds will produce more coyotes than a mouth call.

What one is it: brain dead or the ability to decifer CD quailty from mp3 from mouth call and know the differance and act accordingly?

Bill wrote: Coyotes don't understand the word "interested". It's your job to cause them to focus which you can only do if you understand their language. Again, a 30 minute class would better prepare you hunt coyotes then 10 years of hunting would.

So your saying your 90%+ called to kill ratio? If so why aren;t you mopping up the big 3 calling contest? Would help sell more WT's correct?

Bill wrote: Randy, I have customers who hunt coyotes as a hobby and call 200 to 400 coyotes a year and they don't use dogs for a decoy. How many coyotes do you call and kill a year without or with dogs? The average state or usda trapper calls an average or 60 coyotes a year. And you can take that to the bank.

Bill please don't confuse recreational coyote harvest with ADC work as they are 2 totally different functions of pursuit and take.

You know why they are killing that many? They are calling the coyote strong holds,you can take that to the bank. USDA or state trappers aren't doing that. We work complaints and those are in areas of lower coyote numbers due to the fact the people we work for don't have a high tolerance for coyotes. Comes back to you can't kill what ain't there Bill. I have areas I "could" call and kill far more coyotes govt pastures and *********** ground and many cattlemen who have little problems, those are where the numbers are, your not going to find high coyote densitys around sheepmen or cattlemen that have suffered annual depredation loss. Far different than rec calling and cherry picking. Numbers mean only one thing you have high densitys of those animals, not to mention the fact the more you have in a given area the more responsive they will be to any tool. Calling,traps,m-44's.

They are also hitting them at the highest population point of the entire year, we work them in the lowest population point spring denning and summer pup rearing.That is a fact.

Tell me how young of the year coyotes decifer the sound differance when they have yet to be called or educated? Again the time of year "most" rec callers are doing there thing and enjoying the sport of calling.

Bill thanks for the answers. Let me know on the bet! I have the perfect ranch for you to move those coyotes out of! The rancher would be tickled pink to have zero loss there!

[ October 17, 2009, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 11:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The average state or usda trapper calls an average or 60 coyotes a year. And you can take that to the bank.

[ October 17, 2009, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Bill Martz ]

Really?

Well shit! I used to do at least that, hunting one weekend a month. And, I always thought I was an amateur?

Oh wait! Is that a tricky play on words? "state or usda TRAPPER 'calls' 60 coyotes.... and 'traps' a bunch more?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 11:44 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I did some reading on a USDA site sometime back and the Avr. of 60 is pretty close..Some do better depending on where they are at and the population of coyotes in that area and if you also add the ones killed when recreational calling or doing contests....

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bill Martz
Member # 378

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 11:48 AM      Profile for Bill Martz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Martz         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker:

"What one is it: brain dead or the ability to decifer CD quailty from mp3 from mouth call and know the differance and act accordingly?"

What does the ability to hear have to do with the ability to create, imagine, design, plan or learn. Nothing. Animals only acclimate to different scenarios, they don't learn. If they did, you would never call one in. Did you know that there have been many studies that show even domestic dogs can recognize the noise signature of their masters car or truck at more than 2 miles away? Even when their masters car or truck is mixed in with several other vehicles. Knowing this, you're stating that better sound quality has no effect on calling success. You been on the state's payroll for how long as a professional trapper and don't even know the capabilities of the animals you are hunting. Take the 30 minute class.

The statements you made is exactly why professionals don't respond to internet hunting forums. The info you need to make a solid decision is right in front of you but you can't see it.

--------------------
Bill Martz
www.wildlifetech.com

Posts: 96 | From: NH | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bill Martz
Member # 378

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Bill Martz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Martz         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker:

"Bill please don't confuse recreational coyote harvest with ADC work as they are 2 totally different functions of pursuit and take."

No, they are not much different. I travel about 6 months per year filming and recording. Almost anywhere I film in the West I will call, film and shoot between 30 and 50 coyotes in a four week period. All it takes is knowledge of the animal you're targeting or a 30 minute class and real, high quality wildlife sounds. I also went after the so called educated dogs many a time (in sheep country) with success. You only have to think and work a little harder to get them. That's all.

[ October 17, 2009, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Bill Martz ]

--------------------
Bill Martz
www.wildlifetech.com

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 12:27 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. Did you know that there have been many studies that show even domestic dogs can recognize the noise signature of their masters car or truck at more than 2 miles away?
I read this also and on weekends when i was home doing yard work i noticed my dog would start barking for no reason and then a few minutes later the wife would show up in her car.. I asked the wife if the dog barked before i pulled into the drive-way on my way home from work and she said yes..
When out driveing around looking for coyotes out and about early in the mourning one of my buddies says he never see's any when he is driveing the back roads in the a.m but i always seem to find them and by driveing the same back roads as him.. I got to thinking about the car and dog thing and noticed my buddy is out driveing the same roads all fall and maybe the coyotes reconize the sound of his truck and not mine.. I took this into account last year when i went to one of the spots i have called about 4-5 times and i always used the truck, but this time i used my sons ATV instead and parked it in the same place i always parked the truck and made my stand in the exact same spot and called in a coyote...
I went to this spot again this spring and made a stand or two and used my truck both times and had no responses. I then returned a week later but on my ATV and once again set up in the same spot and called in another coyote..
I've made some stands this fall in areas where i have located coyotes but still not getting any responses but i also used my truck for getting around.. I will go back again into these spots but will take the ATV again and see if it makes any difference.....

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 12:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You are probably on something, Tim?

Oops, I meant; you are probably on to something! Different trucks, so when you are calling in the same old spots, time after time, they don't hear TA's truck, so they approach without fear. Is that right?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 01:13 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
First Bill I can see by your post your lack of ADC related workings. Tim sorry you as well. No one counts coyotes taken in their areas from calling contest! Tim could you send me that link as to break down of coyotes killed per tool used??? Thanks I look forward to it. Also before you make blanket statements I would consider the different regional forces at play when it comes to coyotes and coyote pressure it sure isn't the same everywhere.

Bill tell me how does a coyote then decide to respond or not to a sound with out cognition from the brain? How does that coyote react differently from a CD quality sound, mp3 or mouth call sound? Those young of the year coyotes have nothing to fear because they have yet to have repetition and a negative experiance, so again what is it brain dead or not? Why would it come to "A" sound and not another of different quality?

If I play all mp3 sounds or mouth calls in areas with zero calling pressure tell me why those coyotes wouldn't respond? What takes place to cause them not to? They just hear the differance end of story?

In heavy pressured areas it is through that repetition that causes them to stay out and bark,not come across open areas, etc,etc. change sounds,location and time of day many of them killed. I understand that is your niche to sell product doesn't make it factual. Your dog scenario isn't accomplished with hearing that vehicle a few times but many. Tim yep repetition at play again, in many areas where coyotes are pressured the sound of a truck is bad news,due to all the shooting in conjunction with that sound, but many will go by them within 50 yrds on a tractor again no negative "YET" to associate with the tractor. Use a 4 wheeler, snow machine or airplane for that manner in the same places over and over and repetition will cause those coyotes to be on edge if associated with a negative. The reason each passing year I see less and less coyotes from the road in this area and why it takes some longer hikes to call to some of these coyotes and leave the truck behind aways. A coyote can't fear what it doesn't smell,see or hear. It also can't fear a sound due to it's technical makeup. Unless it has been exsposed to such sound with a negative attached to it.Then you change the sound and frequancy range and your in the ball game once again.

Bill wrote:No, they are not much different. I travel about 6 months per year filming and recording

Yes they are: one is for overall population reduction and those seeking the highest density's and the other is for limited/specific removal of depredating coyotes in far lower densitys. big,big differance Bill.

If coyotes where 100.00 per hide are you going to call cattlemen or coyote factorys or go try and beat the competition on the sheepmens ground? Coyote strong holds and just varying densitys come into play with large kill numbers, be it calling,trapping or snaring. Again you can't call,trap,snare what isn't there to begin with. No matter how great the equipment is.

I can read by your post you knowledge on an effective ADC program is limited, in ADC you use the tool that will be the most efficient given the circumstances at hand, that changes because of various factors.

Yep productive filming and calling of coyotes had on western open range sheep producers [Roll Eyes]

I will tell you a 30 min course from you would be of little value, I can read that in what you post. I have been fortunate to know some darn good coyote control guys and learn from them in ALL apsects of coyote control, the rest is 30 years of chasing them from the time I was 10 until now. I'm not claiming to be the best by any means and you always learn from those coyotes, that is what makes the job fun, those that say they know it all don't!!!I have Read many,many research papers but be careful with them as they are only a look at behavior at that place, in that time. The one I have yet to read is the one you sighted. I would be interested to the link on that one. Change the variables and it changes the outcome sir.

For instance: If the master of the dog changes the vehicle guess what? he will have no clue the exact vehicle until repetitive behavior changes it again!Seems different with coyotes any truck in areas of high pressure applied gets them on the move in a big hurry for the most part so maybe the coyotes hearing isn't as acute as the dog that can pick out the exact vehicle from 2 miles away? The coyote is the same in this respect change to a different sound,place and location of approach. The repetitve behavior has been broken and your chances just went up alot no matter cd quailty, mp3 or mouth call. The numbers your trying to portray or pursuade is very,very minor in the effects you want to link to studies and issues of sound quailitys in relation to overall success in calling.

Again I know your marketing niche is the sound issue and that is your business not mine, but I have yet to see it play out for me in real life sorry just the facts.Using different callers and the reactions from them to the coyotes. I just haven't seen it.

[ October 17, 2009, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 02:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
! Different trucks, so when you are calling in the same old spots, time after time, they don't hear TA's truck, so they approach without fear. Is that right
No thats not correct. Most of my coyotes are scared shit-less weither they are responding or not. But by changeing vehicles they did "approach".. Coyotes are coyotes i can agree to that but mine behave more like the coyotes that would'nt comitt to a stand, even with the pups there is no easey pickens here..
For the few coyotes i have called in all i have to look at is what have i done differently compared to other stands.. At the moument only two things come to mind, one is use of a different vehicle to get into calling area and the other is the Brand of caller and its sounds.. I've had a Minaska B.C for sometime and have over 200 sounds in my library and most of the sounds work good in other parts of the country for general calling.But here at home it was'nt getting the job done, NO coyotes!!
A couple springs ago i bought the WT on advice from a friend and went out calling and finally one shows up. Hmmm
Was it because i was calling in a new area or a different stand? Nope! Same area and same stand location..Was it rabbit sounds that brought the coyotes in or other prey distress? No! It was a series of coyote vocals used that got the job done. I convinced the coyotes that there was other coyotes present and created a response..
Has it worked everytime out? No! but it has the best track record so far.. [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 02:27 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim could you send me that link as to break down of coyotes killed per tool used???
You will have to do the searching under USDA or wildlife services.

Or just give them a call, i'm sure they have the info.. [Razz]

[ October 17, 2009, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 8 posted October 17, 2009 03:55 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean I have to put back the coyotes I killed with other calls?
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 06:15 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim how many coyotes have you called in Minn? Also coyotes defend core areas when rearing pups so you should have good results in the summmer "IF" you get in close enough.

Tim you don't have a link to that site that shows USDA break down of trappers and methods used and kill rates for each? [Big Grin]

[ October 17, 2009, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 06:42 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim how many coyotes have you called in Minn? Also coyotes defend core areas when rearing pups so you should have good results in the summmer "IF" you get in close enough.

In Mn. i've called in close to 40 but only two came from my area and the rest from up north or farther west of where i live..
Thats whats got me stumped! Farther west has bigger sections with very little cover and up north big sections with alot of cover.. I did some locateing up north by one of the jobs i was working on and they sure have alot of coyotes compared to where i'm at so population size may have something to do with it. Don't know for sure.. Incase you missed it i did two surveys for southern Mn. on P.M., no one else is doing any better..
I don't kill coyotes in the summer here except for the one i shot this spring, but i did locate denning pairs and the pups later on. From my exsperiance not all coyotes will defend there den area or pups, and the pup distress is'nt such a hot number here, tried it...

quote:
Tim you don't have a link to that site that shows USDA break down of trappers and methods used and kill rates for each?
Like i said i don't have any of the links. They where lost last spring when my comp. went down.
If you look around the two sites you should find it, there was also a ADC site i believe i was on.
Bill was just giveing an avr.and like i said it was close but alot can depend on each area for each trapper.. For you just takeing a guess and from what i've read i would say you are around 100-125 coyotes a year but this can go up and down from year to year.. [Razz]

[ October 17, 2009, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

Bill Martz
Member # 378

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Bill Martz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Martz         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote wacker:

"Tim you don't have a link to that site that shows USDA break down of trappers and methods used and kill rates for each? "

I don't know if Tim has a link or not. But I have a direct link to almost all the USDA, county and state trappers as they are customers of mine. What I stated before is correct. I didn't list their numbers to shame anyone but rather to point out the reality of government programs.

Tim:

Coyotes prefer quiet areas. You will always find the largest population of coyotes in wide open, lower altitude isolated (from noise and humans) terrain. That's the main reason the West has higher populations then the rest of the country.

[ October 17, 2009, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Bill Martz ]

--------------------
Bill Martz
www.wildlifetech.com

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 08:07 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Coyotes prefer quiet areas. You will always find the largest population of coyotes in wide open, lower altitude isolated (from noise and humans) terrain.
Bill i believe you are right from what i've seen. Most of the coyotes i have located or know they are there are mostly in sections with fewer farms and less traveled roads. If there is a heavey traveled road on one side of a section the coyotes will tend to bed down to the farthest side of the section with some just a few 100 yds from the less traveled road...
I did have one coyote that for some reason liked to lay in the crp and next to the high-way, ended up bumping her twice when hunting for coyotes. The third and final bump we had a guy walk down along the road ditch and post and then came into section from the back-side and pushed her out..

[ October 17, 2009, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 08:00 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Bill wrote:Coyotes prefer quiet areas. You will always find the largest population of coyotes in wide open, lower altitude isolated (from noise and humans) terrain. That's the main reason the West has higher populations then the rest of the country.

Bill there are many places in the East that have greater coyote populations than places in the west. They adapt and do well. Look at Indiana, Illinois and some others far higher coyote densities than places in the west.

Even in our state you have far more coyotes East in the farm belt region where their are more people and more roads. I would agree they like to be away from people, but that is a relative term,again coyotes can and do adapt. Look at Texas and California millions and millions of people and very high coyote populations living amongst all those people. Most Eastern states are seeing an increase in coyote numbers annually.

Mange and other diseases has been a big factor for many western areas. Alberta has some of the highest density's there are of coyotes.

[ October 18, 2009, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 08:39 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
tim what area of Minn are you from? I have a cousin in Rochester that does some calling.

[ October 18, 2009, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

Bill Martz
Member # 378

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 09:07 AM      Profile for Bill Martz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Martz         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker:

"Bill there are many places in the East that have greater coyote populations than many places in the west. They adapt and do well. Look at Indiana, Illinois and others far higher coyote densities than places in the west."

1-Indiana and Illinois are located in the Mid-West. Not the East.
2-They do have a lot of farms but they also have less coyotes then most of the Western states because of the higher human population.

"Even in our state you have far more coyotes East in the farm belt region where their are more people and more roads."

1-That's because there is more food in the farming areas.
2-In the South Dakoda farming areas, the human population is very very low compared to the East.

" I would agree they like to be away from people, but that is a relative term,again coyotes can and do adapt. Look at Texas and California millions and millions of people and very high coyote populations living amongst all those people."

1-The bulk of the human population in Texas and California are located in big cities.
2-60% of Texas and 45% of California are empty.
3-That's why all the so called coyote experts that live in Texas do their hunting in West Texas not East Texas where they live. It's the same in California. Again, most coyotes live in quiet areas.

"Most Eastern states are seeing an increase in coyote numbers annually"

1-That's true. Most Eastern states are mostly forest not wide open terrain. Those areas will hold coyotes but not near as many as the Western states. Also, for every coyote you call in the East, you will call 15 in the western states. Remember to define Eastern state correctly.

Below is a list of states with their human populations per square mile.

New Jersey 1,171.1
Massachusetts 822.7
New York 408.7
Pennsylvania 277.4
California 234.4 (Remove the big city populations and you are down to 11 humans per sq mile. This formular doesn't apply to the Eastern states.)
New Hampshire 146.7
Texas 91.3 (Remove the big city populations and you are down to 9 humans per sq mile.)
Oklahoma 52.7
Arizona 55.8
Colorado 46.9
Oregon 39.0
Nevada 23.4
Nebraska 23.1
New Mexico 16.2
South Dakota 10.5
North Dakota 9.3
Idaho 18.1
Montana 6.5
Wyoming 5.4
Alaska 1.2

Take a look at the population density of California thru the link below. If you notice, almost half of the state has almost nobody living in it.

-

Here is a link to a larger picture.

http:/wikimedia.org

Here is the same population density picture for Texas.

http:/wikipedia.org

Here is a picture of SD. It's easy to see why there are more farms in the Eastern part of the state. More water equal more food. However, the Eastern part of the state is still considered low density (humans) when compared to any Eastern state.

-

Here is a picture of population density for the state of Indiana. The human population density number per square mile cited in your post is a little misleading.

Leonard:

"Also, if you want to talk densities, consider the many golf courses around Paradise Valley and Scottsdale, AZ. Probably, the coyotes outnumber the humans, all night long?"

Take a look at the Arizona population density map below and you will see why.

While I am at it, here is one for New Mexico.

Now take a look at 2 typical Eastern states. Quite a difference between the Western and the Eastern states.

New York

Pennsylvania

[ October 18, 2009, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Bill Martz ]

--------------------
Bill Martz
www.wildlifetech.com

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 09:55 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Take human population in SD and the majority of them will be East of the Big river and mile roads abound, west river far,far less people and tougher access to alot of areas. Many more coyotes living closer to people was my point.

Actually people; to "some" coyotes means a food source so there not the least bit intimidated by them. I know a bee-man that takes bees to california every winter, a worker of his has a caller and he was telling me of taking it along many people out in almond fields and the such working,he was for the fun of it calling coyotes to within 300 yards broad daylight with many people moving about. He said it is crazy how they react there compaired to here. 3-5 coyotes all comming in for a look see. Standing around survaying the situation. They don't get harrased so little fear of humans. Same for those coyotes taking up residence in city parks like Denever, Co. Other larger cities seeing the same things taking place, they adapt well. Adaptation was my point.

To me Indiana is East [Big Grin] and much higher people per sq mile 169.5 and I know of 2 guys there now that will trap 100 or more coyotes in what I consider an urban state. Plenty of road access and plenty of coyotes!!!!!! Much higher density's than here for sure.That is a fact.

My point Bill is there are some areas higher in density's in the mid west if you will than areas of the west, mange, pressure applied, and other diseases. A key to doing high numbers of any critter is density's and easier access to those density's no matter what critter. Only so much time in a day.Maximizing that time is key to large takes of any critter.

[ October 18, 2009, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 10:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can verify one thing. As far as the viewpoint of a Californian; Indiana is EAST. One of many recuring themes here on Huntmasters is that of me joking with JoeF about living "back east" in Missouri. He is under the impression that he lives in the midwest, which is inaccurate, from the perspective of a Kalifornian. (no wise remarks, okay?)

Also, if you want to talk densities, consider the many golf courses around Paradise Valley and Scottsdale, AZ. Probably, the coyotes outnumber the humans, all night long?

Good hunting. LB

PS I'm starting to wonder who stole Bill's password? This is not the same old curmudgeon we have grown to love?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 10:51 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
tim what area of Minn are you from? I have a cousin in Rochester that does some calling.
I live about 3 1/2 hr. drive west of there.. Houston county which is just East of Rochester holds the highest population of coyotes in the state with Write county following close behind. The rochester area is pretty rough country compared to where i'm at..

--------------------

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 05:35 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
LB, you really need to understand my confusion...
And the fact that I enjoy the misconception/misperception.....

BM tells me I'm not from the east - those coyotes can not be called in with hand calls. Just ask him....

Then we have pearls of wisdom like:

"Again, a 30 minute class would better prepare you hunt coyotes then 10 years of hunting would."

Sounds like we are all out-classed here..... Snork.....

Sure makes me feel like $800-$1k needs to be spent to hunt these mid... ummmm....eastern coyotes.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill Martz
Member # 378

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Bill Martz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Martz         Edit/Delete Post 
JoeF:

"BM tells me I'm not from the east - those coyotes can not be called in with hand calls. Just ask him...."

Joe, did you ever hunt coyotes in the East? And I mean the East not the Mid-West. If you want to give it a try I will invite you to come to New Hampshire to teach me how to call Eastern coyotes with your mouth calls. If you want to talk the talk, I think you should walk the walk.

--------------------
Bill Martz
www.wildlifetech.com

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 06:41 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't that be the mid-east?
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2009 10:56 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Just an FYI on those coyote density's in IN they just had a 28 coyote day in traps on a 24 hr check! Good access,and high density's leads to 28 coyote days.

I can't wait to see what there total is when all done should be very big numbers.

[ October 19, 2009, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters